Winning Decklists: Menomonee Falls, WI - Gamers Universe SC 2014

Originally published at: Winning Decklists: Menomonee Falls, WI – Gamers Universe SC 2014 - StimHack

Discuss the latest tournament winning decklists here.

So nice to finally play a tourney after a long drought since worlds. I felt very confident with the decks going in and ended up 9-1 on the day.

The only game I lost was when Gabe dropped a Sneakdoor on like turn 3, and all I had was 7 points in hand in 3 cards. HA! Some corp games will just go that way, so what can you do? I calculated how many options I had, and unless my opponent was an idiot (and he top 4’d worlds) I had no way of winning.

These decks are strong, but especially the corp deck. It’s a beast. It’s a long game strat, tax the snot out of the runner, make tons of money, and safely score behind huge remotes and ASH. MVP for the corp deck are Tollbooth and ASH.

The Gabe deck is fairly standard. I built it to be fast and make sure I never went to ‘time’, knowing my HB deck was a little slow. Went 2 Gordian and Corrodor with 3 Special order to ensure access early game as much as possible. None of my games went past maybe turn 7-8ish with Gabe, so it worked out pretty well. One noteworthy card is the 3 Compromised Employees, played it specifically to deal with cards like Caduceus, Draco, etc. Before adding them. it seemed like my biggest weakness was no trace defense, and with NBN heavily played, having no trace defense seemed silly. They did come up huge against an NBN Making News deck I played, and are always generally useful, especially early.

Not going to write up a game by game, but will be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. Here are the decks.

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (8)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus #51) x1
Project Wotan (Creation and Control #6) x1

Asset (9)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Eve Campaign (Humanity’s Shadow #92) x3
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x3 ■

ICE (23)
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x3 ■■
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof #110) x3
Heimdall 2.0 (Creation and Control #15) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x2
NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves #11) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x3 ■■
Viper (Cyber Exodus #52) x2
Viktor 2.0 (Creation and Control #19) x2
Wotan (Second Thoughts #30) x1
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2

Operation (6)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Restructure (Second Thoughts #40) x3

Upgrade (3)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x3

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (17)
Account Siphon (Core #18) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus #43) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x2
Special Order (Core #22) x3
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3

Hardware (6)
Desperado (Core #24) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2
R&D Interface (Future Proof #107) x1 ■■

Program (14)
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ■■
Datasucker (Core #8) x2 ■
Faerie (Future Proof #104) x3
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x2 ■■■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x3
Mimic (Core #11) x1 ■

Resource (8)
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount #25) x3
Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x1
John Masanori (Opening Moves #9) x2
Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow #91) x2

2 Likes

I thought those decks looked familiar. I got stomped by them in the BGG league last Saturday, when you were probably practicing for this tournament. The Compromised Employees were strong against my NBN deck. But I did manage a 7-0 win against your Gabe when I got agenda flooded and had all 7 points in hand and a SanSan.

I had no answers for your HB deck.

2 Likes

Haha! Yes, thank you for helping me prepare! Right now it feels like this deck type being overlooked. Taxing the runners money and clicks make for some very frustrated runners. It’s bane is E3 (pretty much lol on how often that’s played), or giant rig Opus decks that stay REALLY patient. Most runners are trained to be hyper aggressive, and this deck will crush those decks more often than not.

We will see if more people start playing this deck type. It is as good of a deck I have ever played, and likely my strongest ever.

1 Like

I completely agree. I sometimes play a HB deck with 59 cards and 9 agendas with a ton of ICE and Assets/Upgrades, and only 2x Reworks for operations that was inspired by a winning Plugged-In deck. I haven’t tried it at any tournaments because it’s so slow, but it does win very often. I think I might try your idea and test it a bit and see if it’s faster.

1 Like

Wow! That’s really taking it to the extreme, but could totally see how a deck like that would crush. It can be played fairly aggressively if you get an early agenda, ASH, and Econ. Last night I had a Vik 2.0 on a remote and scored a P. Req in it fairly early. Runner was broke, they knew ash crushed them so they didn’t run. Got a free Heimdall 2.0 rez in front of the Vik 2.0. And that was virtually GG.

1 Like

Great work on your win! I’m definitely added more Emergency Shutdowns and Crescentuses to deal with big ICE and big econ to my Gabe deck, but I’m not even sure if that’ll be enough.

For some reason I though you were from the European meta, not Wisconsin. Nordrunner = Nordic Runner?

1 Like

Your not the first to believe this. My last name is Nordeng, which is Scandinavian (Norwegian), and a lot of Scandinavians apparently settled round my neck of the woods.

1 Like

Going to crosspost this from the Noise thread so it doesn’t clutter that discussion.

Nordrunner, just realized you were the designer of that HB deck! My girlfriend got top 4 using it last weekend and god does it crush Noise. Great deck, the low agenda density with tons of economy and ice means no frustration for her. There was a consistent look of utter defeat on each opponent’s face when she would install advance advance after they spent their stockpile of 15 credits for a look at an Eve Campaign. We’re trying some new tech for the deck, would love to hear what you think. Interns for a Restructure. I figured Ash, Jackson and Campaigns would make great targets for whatever you needed at the time. However she keeps using it to add a fifth ice to the remote, even using ice from HQ that’s still a Sure Gamble so it’s hard to argue with. The other interesting card, not enough testing yet, Akitaro Watanabe. It hurts to free up the influence as Tollboth is so good but what a brutal bluff card. Do you keep going and take a huge economic hit to trash him or just end the run and leave him to make even more money next run? Either way he’s guaranteed to pay for himself. Assuming he doesn’t muck up your opening draw.

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear your girlfriend had success with this deck. It is a pretty stress free deck. Once the board is in place and the money is rolling in it’s very hard to stop. I could see interns working for when you need another ASH, and it’s nice for installing on large servers. I wouldn’t personally play Akitaro, I don’t need any discounts on ICE usually since I have tons of money, and I like the influence on Cads, Tollbooths, and Jackson.

The only updates I made to this deck are taking out the 2 Viper, adding 2 Subliminal Messaging, and upgraded Ichi1.0 to Ichi2.0. Works the same way really.

Thanks for the thoughts, glad it’s working for you! :slight_smile:

Yeah also added subliminal but took out restructure instead of viper, perhaps that’s why there isn’t always tons of money. Both Ichis to 2.0? I was targeting Ichi 1.0 for changes as well, just felt a bit porous early and in the final turns. But then it’s one of the most expensive ice to use icebreakers on so it works quite well against a different type of deck.

I think being poor early is fine as long as your rezzing important ICE to do so. The more rezzed ICE on the table the better for you. Against strong players, my money tends to fluctuate a lot in the early game. Once the board position is stable, then I can make money hand over fist and seal the game with Ash.

1 Like