A Horizontal Approach to the Weyland Problem by Brian Williams

Haha, Sorry @saan, you’re going to need to make space for some more influence with those new Tourney rules. Your article had a good day and a half of relevance. :smile:

5 Likes

NAPD -> Oaktown. Done.

1 Like

No way, that 4 credit tax from the NAPDs is huge for this deck.

If anything, might need to consider dropping Tollbooth and PopUp.

Rekd

1 Like

I’ll try it both ways. Oaktown is super good anyhow, but @dcohen115’s correct that the NAPD tax is very important. I’ll see how it functions with Oaktown. I might actually go -1 NAPD, -2 Pop-up Window, +1 Oaktown, +1 Ice Wall, +1 … Enigma or Caduceus, I guess. I’ll play around with it. It shouldn’t be that big a deal, I don’t think. The Pop-ups were kinda a luxury anyhow; I was playing with dropping them for an Ice Wall and an Architect for a bit there. Obviously Architect won’t work now either, but I didn’t really mind the deck without the Pop-ups that much.

With the MWL, this makes even more sense.

Thanks for posting the article to go with your decklist, @Saan - really liking this approach for Gagarin!

To adjust this for my personal tastes and to make it MWL compliant, I’m testing it out with -3 Hedge Fund, -1 Tollbooth, -1 Pop-up Window, +3 Beanstalk Royalties, +1 Archer, +1 Excalibur.

This deck has plenty of asset economy, but that is hard to rez when hit by a Siphon - Beanstalk Royalties lets me afford some of my assets/ice and the 1 fewer credit seems worth the 0 cost. Additional Archer lets me see it more often while freeing up my TFIN digs for Corporate Town or an agenda. Excalibur is there to get a little breathing room if ever necessary.

Lemme know how the Beanstalk change goes; not sure I like it, since I’d rather just protect against siphon with ICE and rezzing unrezzed assets, but it’s something to consider.

Archer is a good ICE, and seeing one sooner is nice, but seeing both of them in a game can be rough (especially in a game where you also want Corp Town), since there aren’t that many 1-point things you can score, and sacrificing a 2-pointer always feels bad. Excalibur is an interesting choice, but I’m always wary of more situational ICE in the deck, since there’s only 15 to begin with. If they’re playing a runner that only runs once every couple turns anyhow, it’s not gonna do much.

That being said, have fun experimenting with the deck! Lemme know what ends up working for you.

On a completely unrelated note, while the MWL hurts the NAPD “influence,” the lower count of Parasites and Clone Chips (especially in the same deck) is really good for Gagarin.

An important note about defending against siphon by rezzing assets is that you can often give up the location of your naked agendas if that is part of your game.

2 Likes

Definitely. It can really ruin a day if you don’t plan around it.

For MWL testing, I went -1 NAPD +1 oaktown -2 pop up +1 spiderweb +1 tourguide. The pop-ups have always been a luxury imho, and both ice I added is looking even meaner with runners stretched more for parasite recursion. So far, so good: the decks worst matchups were ppvpk, wooley whizz, and desperado val, all of whom are hurting post-MWL.

re: oakdown, despite it being a super awesome agenda, I feel that it’s a flat downgrade in this deck. ash+NAPD create a very tall order for credits in this ID, and it’s very often how I close out games. worth the influence to include, though all 3 became a tall order (hard to replace tollbooth in my book).

1 Like

Seems like reasonable changes. I completely agree with Oaktown vs NAPD in this deck – NAPD is just way better. I went to an additional Enigma and an Ice Wall, but Spiderweb and Tourguide doesn’t seem like a bad idea. Basically, almost any 2 low-ish sized ICE makes sense, based on what you expect to see/personal preference.

I’ve actually been playing nearly all Weyland for awhile now, trying to get it to work. Guess which identity: You guessed _____? Nope, GRNDL. GRNDL is so overlooked. My favorite card in that deck is the refineries. They are so solid in ice forts.

Any suggestions on how to adapt the decklist for the NAPD Most Wanted List?

I was thinking the simplest thing would be to drop an NAPD and an Ash for a Future is Now and Chronos Project. Instead of Ash, you could lose Tollbooth, or 1 Team Sponsorship and 1 Pop-Up.

But perhaps it makes sense to just drop all three NAPDs and swap in three other 4-2 agendas…

read a few posts up for @Saan’s thoughts (and my much more amateur thoughts :P) I think dropping NAPD entirely is a mistake, as would be dropping ash- specifically, these two cards work very well together and are often the difference between a win and losing at 5 points. I think pop-ups or tollbooth should be first on the chopping block to make room for two or three influence, to be replaced with tech cards or replacement ICE as your preference suits.

Right now I’m at -1 NAPD, -2 Pop-up Window, +1 Oaktown Renovation, +1 Spiderweb +1 Caduceus. The Pop-ups were the only influence that actually felt mobile, as all the rest of the 2 and 1 influence cards are too good to move out. Ash is necessary in most games to win, and there isn’t another piece of ICE as taxing as Tollbooth in the entire game, so I feel it’s necessary to have in the deck as well. GFI, Jackson, and Team Sponsorship are fairly key to how the deck works, so removing them is also a step back. Thus, I am left with having to take out the third NAPD. That’s okay, though, because Oaktown is a damned good agenda.

I should see if I can edit the article to add a small section at the base of it talking about MWL edits.

I had previously mentioned going for an extra Archer, and you were correct that there aren’t enough 3/1s to give up for it.

Currently running your list with almost no code gate support: -1 Tollbooth, -2 Pop-up, -1 Wormhole for +1 Spiderweb, +1 Caduceus, +1 Expo Grid and… +1 Junebug.

I felt it pretty necessary to free the influence up for the third NAPD, so the NBN ICE had to go. The third Expo grid is additional credit generation, which helps with Ash firing. The Junebug just won me two games last night - the runner understandably doesn’t see it coming, and it provides a very solid bluff in the mid-to-late game. In the early game, or if the runner isn’t biting, it’s a 0 rez asset that can be coupled with an Expo grid for credits, and also can add an additional ETR sub for the Tour Guides.

Overall, I reiterate my thanks for publishing this list - this Gagarin build is my new main Corp deck.

1 Like

I was just rereading the accessing rules, the runner must access all cards in a remote server whether they want to or not…so are we better off stacking the server with upgrades and either costing the runner a ton of credits everytime they access, or making them do the math to enter the access phase with exactly one credit to access the card they want? If they decide to do the latter, then they run into problems paying for NAPD or evading the Ash trace…or they might just skip it altogether and just pound R&D…hmm

edit: additional costs are optional…nvm

As an addendum to this, I could maaaaybe also see taking out 1 GFI instead of the NAPD, and then going -1 Launch +2 Oaktown. It brings it to 11 agendas and 21 total points in the deck, so I’m not sure how good it is. It basically comes down to which you think is the better agenda (GFI or NAPD) and if adding another agenda to the deck is worth it.

I went ahead and edited a small section onto the end of the original article detailing the small changes due to the MWL, since the MWL was announced so close to the publication date. They’re pretty much what I’ve discussed here, but I figured it would be nice for new readers to have that information contained within the actual article itself rather than the comments section. It would almost be better to completely re-write some sections, since a lot of the match-up contents are now irrelevant (Pre-Paid Kate? What the fuck is that?), but what’s written is written =P

2 Likes