Advanced play with Jackson Howard

In either case, hedge, heimdall R&D or HQ depending on faction, (probably won’t rez it in any event), click for credit. I am a big fan of installing exactly one thing per turn with HB whenever possible. Next turn, if you draw a stopping ICE, install adonis take more money, or if they’re rich(ish), you can ICE adonis immediately. If you don’t draw reasonable Adonis ICE, Jackson and draw 2. If you have 2 or more agendas in hand, draw more and pitch them. If you have one or less, ICE the remaining central with anything you have except for Ichi. If you have no agendas, you can ICE Jackson or a new remote in preparation for using it as an adonis server.

3 Likes

What do you think, of the ice HB is likely to play, are the ice you want to put over an asset? If you can…answer for scoring server, answer for asset server, if there is a difference.

For instance, for me, I hate to put viktor 2.0, heimdall, or eli over adonis/eve unless I plan to stack bioroids or later drop an ETR over the top and start a scoring remote.

Same thing for jackson, since you want him for ABT, do you ever defend him this way? Do you reuse an asset server for jackson?

Sometimes I just pitch Jackson when I’ve got the win in hand and I know a couple Agendas are on the bottom from DBS. If you know R&D’s in a state that’s beneficial to you, DON’T SHUFFLE.

1 Like

It depends mostly on what you are protecting. I would be willing to protect a Eve/Adonis Campaign in a “dedicated asset server” with mid-tier ICE, like Viktor, Ichi, or Eli since I will probably use the server for multiple Econ Assets. Against Whizzard I am perfectly willing to rez a Heimdall to serve as my asset economy server.

Although this isn’t common by any means, I personally run 3x Pup for the sole purpose of efficiently protecting assets (and it is also decent at protecting R&D). Similar to Pop Up but better since costing the runner an extra credit is more valuable than gaining a credit, especially when used to protect remotes.

Enhanced Login Protocol is also good for this purpose when you are trying to economically accelerate yourself into lategame.

Generally speaking, I am perfectly happy to rez a Tollbooth to protect an Adonis Campaign, because Adonis Campaigns trash themselves after a few turns and you can use the server to score out an agenda. I feel one of the strongest moves I can make early game as HB is to rez a Adonis behind a Tollbooth, especially if I can actually get them to try to run the server, costing them an unavoidable 3 credit hit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies @mediohxcore and @bblum.

Would runner ID change your plays (beyond the obvious of ICEing HQ against crim)? Thinking of Gabe primarily on the second scenario since you can expect him to be breaking into HQ as a priority.

(As it turned out the first hand I did as @mediohxcore would have done only for my opponent (who was Leela) to pull an ABT off of R&D, siphon me and drop unscheduled maintenance to rub it in. Second game I iced both and managed to get an IQ next turn. That’s just variance though.)

In the situation with the opening hand you gave? No, you’re in a pickle and there’s only so much you can do, even against gabe. You might consider leaving R&D wide open and putting ichi on archives to fend off sneakdoor, but I value having ICE on R&D even just as a bluff more than that. And, I still wouldn’t rez the heimdall even against gabe until siphon shows up; emergency shutdown is too big of a risk. I suppose vs gabe, I would take a jackson mulligan a turn or so sooner than I would vs andy.

2 Likes