Aggressive Negotiation: Fighting Games

The story of the first 3 Jojos is so screwed up. Unforgettable feelings indeed. Did did some pretty dreadful things.

Capcom Cup 2015 bracket: http://challonge.com/capcom_cup_2015

Some truly crazy matches. Iā€™m not even that fond of SF4 anymore, but damn that bracket is packed.

Nothing but killers there, good stuff.

So who likes SF5? I like SF5. Letā€™s talk about SF5.

Fang is ridiculously fun and has some really good matchups, but I feel like heā€™ll end up mid-tier if only because he doesnā€™t have the damage output of a lot of the cast.

1 Like

My buddy told me its more like 3rd strike, which is my favoriteā€¦should I buy it?

Iā€™m a 3S player too and Iā€™m really happy thus far. Itā€™s not as fast as 3S but the damage is way higher than SF4. Also the stun meterā€™s back and itā€™s got alpha counters for everyone.

What is it that you like about 3S? Thatā€™d help me recommend or not.

I was a fan of the parry system. Iā€™m not a super technical or even good player. I was the best button masher in our group, so theres that. I feel like 4 was more cludgy and timing based, 3 was more about controlling with standard moves, if that makes sense.

Itā€™s a lot easier to get consistent combos in SF5. There are waaaaaay fewer 1-2 frame links to worry about. You can usually just buffer or mash out a lot of your combos.

The neutral game has improved a lot IMO. Lots of poking with normals at mid range like you said. Obviously some characters prefer closer/longer ranges, but spacing is super important.

Weird thing about parries- everyone has a unique V-skill. Ryuā€™s is a parry and itā€™s really good. Iā€™d compare this more to Super Turbo than 3S in terms of defensive skills though. No focus attacks or invincible backdashes making things a crapshoot, just knowing where to block when.

TL;DR I think youā€™d like it. Itā€™s the closest theyā€™ve come to 3S in years, even if itā€™s not really that close.

Akuma was my guy for all versions of SF, heard heā€™s not in it (yet), anyone similar?

Edit: I like rushdown

Sort of? If what you liked was hucking air fireballs and following that up thatā€™s not really a thing. If you like setups and hitting lots of buttons on top of people thereā€™s definitely that. Bison is a pure pressure character now and a lot nastier in close. Once he gets you in the corner youā€™re going to have a bad time. Rashid has projectiles and all kinds of weird angles of attack, plus heā€™s quick. Laura is kind of Makoto-ish.

Iā€™ve always been a fan of dive kicks and zoning with his various fireballs, so yea, the air fireball is pretty key. Is bison still a charge character :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Bisonā€™s still mostly charge, though his main pressure special is a command.

Rashid is sounding like someone youā€™d like a lot. Heā€™s got flying kicks and tricky tornado projectiles to put pressure on from everywhere. Super mobile too.

Saw the video, thought so too. Might catch it on first sale.

SFV is so different from the other street fighters, itā€™s crazy not to try it. Iā€™m finally impressed straight up with a street fighter title that isnā€™t 3. The game just has so much character, and it is more accessible while being even deeper thanks to the v trigger system. Everyone having a guard cancel move is pretty sweet too (forward and 3 attacks while guarding), a universal defensive option goes a long way towards making it feel like this strike, even though mechanically itā€™s an alpha counter. Itā€™s like they wanted to make a sequel to street fighter alpha, and forgot to bloat the game with rehashes and nonsense. Good job capcom

I just upgrade my MKX to MKXL,so I guess I wonā€™t buy SFV until June when I can buy SFV with the new GGXrd.I have never played any SF so Iā€™m not quite familiar with SF,but of course Iā€™ll give it a try.

Sadly, I bought SFV but need about Ā£300 of PC upgrades before itā€™ll even run :frowning:

any recommendations for offline fighting games? i heard about yomi and battlecon series, is there anything else worth playing?

[edit: by offline i meant tabletop, those where your dexterity doesnt make a difference]

Thereā€™s so many SNK fighting games on Neo Geo to consider before anything else. I just suggest that no one play Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, itā€™s garbage shit garbage aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I canā€™t rage hard enough

Mind your language. You can make your point without the C word

oh, my mistake. by offline i meant tabletop, those where your dexterity doesnā€™t make a difference.