Alpha and Omega

It’s a priority ParaSucker target, that’s for sure. Generally, if I get locked out early with multiple Wraparounds I’ll have a very bad time.

Wraparound isn’t really an issue for this type of deck, as you see it once, go fetch your inti and problem is solved.

Continuing on:

After some thought, here’s how I would do the Shaper version of Unscheduled Maintenance:

Alpha Omega Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (14)

Hardware (13)

Resource (2)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (11)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

(my favorite moment is how you can play Unscheduled Maintenance with Same Old Thingif it gets trashed by Breaking News or something)

The advantage of this build is all that parasiting and personal touching going on. The disadvantage is, you know, zero siphons. Also, there’s no HQ pressure, but that might turn out OK - for one, the HQ will presumably be full of ICE anyway, and then it’ll make that sneaky, sneaky Escher much easier to connect. I feel like this build sort of leverages Alpha better, due to the lack of Inside Jobs.

I think my interest is actually piqued enough to try both out and see which one I like better.

edit: one Legwork instead of the third Parasite is probably a better idea.

2 Likes

I like what I’m seeing there, Peekay, but I wonder if you might be able to sneak in maybe 1 each of trade-in, feedback filter, and HQ interface, cutting one maintenance to free up influence for the interface.

With the existence of trade-in, I think most every shaper deck might as well run a filter, as an early feedback filter plus opus and any kind of RnD multiaccess just wrecks them so far in my testing, as so much of their deck consists of assets and agendas that you’re going to be trashing or scoring 2 out of every 3 cards you see, and with enough of a bankroll, you don’t have to be afraid of accidentally dying to an unlucky RnD pull. It also let’s you completely ignore all advanced cards (because over writer still sucks to hit), as Ronin ceases to be a significant threat, which also means you can take your time a little bit, as aside from them SLOWLY winning via agendas, they can only hurt you if you’re running, which you control the timing of.

Apologies for the random detour through Cambridge PE meta here haha

Not so sure about Trade-In here. I mean… what am I trashing? I don’t really have any expendable hardware (the closest one would be Personal Touch), and putting in something just to trade it in feel quite meh. If I’m to tech for Cambridge PE, I’d much rather just slap in a Net Shield and call it a day.

Also, I’d be wary of going down to 2 Unscheduleds. Getting it early is so completely critical to my game plan, I might actually consider mulliganing for it. That to me is a sign it’s a 3-of card.

I like it. Personal touch is where my mind went too. What caused you to veer away from just using like 2x desperado to play it more like atman + parasite, rather than what you have? Just the influence of unscheduled maintenance?

oh, der. this is why I don’t build decks. :expressionless:

I see Inti popping up a lot in Shaper lately. is it mostly just to have a fracter for Wrapround?

What do you mean “veer away”? I never even considered Desperado as a console for this build, because I feel it has no place here.

• Leaving influence completely aside, I wouldn’t play Desperado here even if it were a green card. Count the MU of the preferred setup and you’ll see that it tops at 7 MU. This means that 6 MU might be ok, but 5 MU will definitely be too low (and would need a significant rework of the program suite and subsequently econ). Is that one credit per run really so good that I want to be spending slots and game-time fishing for a solution to a problem I’ve artificially created? (especially given that I have an in-faction alternative that gives me the credits up-front and only becomes worse if I make more than 2 runs per turn?)

• If I were to go out-of-faction for my console, I’d be looking at Grimoire before even considering Desperado. The install cost is equivalent, the influence cost is lower, it gives 2 MU and it works better with my primary game plan.

• That being said, I feel like Toolbox is pretty close to perfect for my needs anyway. The install cost isn’t that much of a problem (Kate, Modded, possibly Opus), it gives 2 MU, the recurring credits are boss, and in combination with Kate’s link some pieces of ICE become just complete non-issues (Caduceus, Hunter, Shadow, hell even Shinobi is way less scary). Neutering left-field plays like multi-Punitive flatlines is just an added bonus.

In conclusion: yes, Desperado is under-costed in-faction, but that doesn’t mean it fits everywhere. And if I wanted to play Atman Kate, I’d play, you know, Atman Kate instead of Alpha/Omega Kate :smiley:

2 Likes

That, and going through unadvanced Icewall for 1.

Yes, Inti is for Wraparound as it’s a very cheap, tutorable, in-faction solution to what is otherwise an annoying piece of ICE for the deck.

Also, after more testing, I think 3 Unscheduled Maintenance is absolutely the correct call. Especially with Parasite recursion. I just wish I could make room for HQ/Archives pressure somehow to take advantage of the Corp never being able to realistically cover all their servers.

I didn’t mean that you even thought of it, more that desperado is usually included in parasite+datasucker decks, especially with atman/AI. I agree with what you’re saying, I was just looking for some insight into the choices, which you gave. Thanks, makes a lot of sense!

This might be left-fieldish, but how does code siphon look for this type. With omega, you can ensure clearing the back peice of ice, could be a nice cheap way with kate to get out alpha as well! It can also help summon up opus if the corp rezes broke on HQ (not likely but possible). It doesn’t play well with ice destruction, but you can play around it.

Depends on the ice, really. Parasiting a Komainu you’d otherwise break over R&D makes Code Siphon better value much of the time. After all, need to make each step in the run cost less than each Ice saves you.

I agree. Though, sometimes an exploratory code siphon can pressure the corp into rezzing the ice (you’re already for sure breaking it with omega), they rez to cost you, and you go get your atman for instance. Its just another angle of pressure that seems valuable.

Also, in the case of komainu, if your hand is cards you don’t particularly care about, there is the option of not breaking the subs so you spend 1-2 credits or even 0 and get your program. That particular ice isn’t the best stopper for a code siphon IMO. NB4 cards=clicks opportunity cost.

Given the light tutoring in PK’s build (lack of test run and scavenge), I’d say the tutor effect of code siphon is a welcome addition, even if it bears a cost in clearing tags and breaking ice (test run costs 3 and scavenge is a card cost, yet that combo is pretty accepted as good).

I’ve used Alpha in my Nasir ICE-destruction deck; I’m often face checking to get ICE rezzed, and Nasir often has cash to blow early (before he loses it :D).
Alpha does a great job protecting me from nasty punishment ICE that would be bad to run into even once, as well as forcing the corp to double ice all servers… and as we know, ICE spread thin is a parasite deck’s best friend.
Not sure if it’s a long term include (this is a deck long in-progress…) but it definitely has it’s uses for Nasir.

4 Likes

I’ve used alpha and omega extensively in decks, especially in Naisir.

I’ve used a few approaches.

If you run continuously, alpha acts as a safety blanket. Expose all the ice, break the ones you need to, get the money and jack out.

Do this iteratively, so that all ice is always revealed.