Blue Sun Glacier (Decklist, looking for advice)

Hey guys. Been cooking up a Blue Sun decklist in anticipation of Up and Over’s release. Would love any and all comments, criticisms, or general pieces of advice you guys would like to share.

Here’s the list:

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (9)
1x Eden Fragment (The Spaces Between)
1x Government Contracts (A Study in Static)
2x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
2x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (8)
2x Eliza’s Toybox (First Contact) ••••
2x Eve Campaign (Humanity’s Shadow) ••••• •
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ••
2x The Root (Upstalk)

Upgrade (2)
2x Amazon Industrial Zone (Trace Amount)

Operation (13)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Oversight AI (A Study in Static)
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
1x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)

Barrier (7)
3x Bastion (Creation and Control)
2x Curtain Wall (True Colors)
2x Hadrian’s Wall (Core Set)

Code Gate (5)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
1x Lotus Field (Upstalk) •
2x Quandary (Double Time)

Sentry (5)
2x Archer (Core Set)
1x Architect (Up and Over) ••
2x Guard (Honor and Profit)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Right now, I’m also toying with the idea of dropping Eliza’s, changing the Eves to Adonises, and adding the Sea Source-Double Scorch combo, as the board state can shift so rapidly in Blue Sun that I can pick up a Curtain Wall or Hadrian’s and suddenly have enough money for the combo. Looking forward to your ideas!

This deck has no way to leverage it’s money. For a Corp to have a huge econ game, you need a way to spend it in a productive manner. Midseason Replacements, Punitive, SEA/Scorch, and Ash/Charles Troubleston are the ways you can do this. Pick one and try it out.

Also, The Root and Adonis serve the same function of making you money while you build servers and try to create scoring windows. Eve is not very good unprotected in the current meta, there are so many Security testing/Imp/whatever flying around. AIZ is hilarious and might be awesome in here. I’d love to hear some testing results.

Why would you not protect eve? It’s blue sun… You can move ice?

Generally plop a cad or a datapike or any Ice
that’s in your deck?

Eve is stupid good in blue sun

Love the lore. A man born for his job

Adonis > Eve and less expensive in terms of influence. It also produces cashes quicker which means you can use that corp ability more.

I think you’ve got to consider corporate troubleshooter & ash. Popping something big off of a central to feed one of those two cards just seems solid.

Interesting idea. I love me some Ash, but I don’t love Corporate Troubleshooter, especially when the deck doesn’t run a lot of ice with teeth.

How would you feel about cutting the Archers? With only 2 Hostile Takeovers, they may be tough to hard rez, and I’m not sure I would want to use an Oversight AI on one all time.

Debateable, you might prefer Eve because it requires less frequent bouncing and has a higher trash cost. Adonis you have to pull up every 3 turns if you wanted to play again immediately, whereas you have 7 turns before you have to recycle an Eve (if I’ve done my math right).

Eve: +16-5=11 (-2 for bounce) = +9 creds / 7 turns -> 1.28 credit per turn yield.
Adonis: +12-4=8 (-3 for bouncd) = +5 creds / 3 turns -> 1.66 credit per turn yield

If we add in the root, Eve is +1.71 creds per turn. Adonis is 2.66 creds per turn.

So, while I agree there’s more safety with Eve; there’s a lot more bang with Adonis. The upkeep is of course stronger with Adonis, but faster money means faster corp.

I think Adonis is better in this case, if you can protect it enough to get the runner to not trash it. Rezzing a will’o preemptively might scare off trashing, for instance.

1 Like

The problem with Eve and Adonis (and even The Root) is that they’re never going to stick around forever for you to bounce. The runner can and will trash them to stop your recurring money source.

Rather than Eve/Adonis - have you thought of Private Contracts?
Click it down to 2. Bounce to hand. Repeat.

1.42 credits per click. No inflluence.

I don’t like a single subliminal - high variance.

Personally I think blue sun calls for OAI.

Amazon works out at single ice depth as 1.5 credits per click if you are on all 3 str ice. But amazon will get trashed.

In the third position, its netting you .5 credits per click. Minelayer?

I think the problem with Private Contracts in Blue Sun is that the ID lends itself to being more click intensive, since you are bouncing rezzed cards and then you have to replace them with something else, particularly if its ICE, since you cant leave your servers undefended. So you don’t have as many spare clicks to be taking credits with, that’s why something passive like Eve or Adonis are good bc they do it automatically.

1 Like

Your clicks are worth more than $1.5 apiece in blue sun.

I find I don’t have this problem with just 2-of the root. When playing this deck, I never make a 2nd remote server, and always just jam the root into my scoring remote. As long as it’s derezzed, the runner can’t afford the tempo hit of coming to kill it. All it takes is some skilled reading of the game’s pacing to decide when you should spend the click to derez it (or even sometimes, the free action to cash out and discard it).

I don’t like eve and adonis here. On paper, they’re marginally better than the root since the money is more flexible, but in practice, I don’t want any more than 3 of the effect in the deck, and given that I’d rather play the 0 influence version.

4 Likes

I have no idea how to build/play Blue Sun yet but I’ve thought about it a bit so here are my thoughts in relation to your deck.

• The Root seems very important in Blue Sun, I think I’d run 3.
  • Caduceus also seems good, not just because it’s a solid piece of early game ice, but because it also works well with Blue Sun’s ability. Probably better than Guard right?
  • I like Datapike over Enigma more. Since you can bounce it back if they drop Yog and are not running scorch, why not tax the runner even more? I don’t like Quandary, since it’ll just eat a parasite.
  • Architect seems cool, I was thinking about trying to fit it in as well
  • No Toolbooth? Seems great in Blue Sun since you can bounce if back if it gets Femme’d or hit with a Parasite.
  • HIVE! RUN HIVE! Seriously. Not only is this a really good early game card, but you can bounce it back later in the game when it sucks. I’ve played Hive since it came out and it rarely gets broken. You only need to worry about it getting hit with a parasite and Blue Sun is very useful for that. If you do switch to Scorched, Hive should make it much easier for you to score the Cleaners, which makes the flatline much harder to avoid.
  • Ash is a staple in Glacier and seems great here, also has synergy with Architect. Probably good to make space for it. You may get lots of money with your deck but what are you going to do with it if the runner just hangs out saving money with Kati Jones and waits for you to make your move?
  • Cards like Chum/RSVP/Inazuma get much better in Blue Sun and are worth consideration if you haven’t thought about them yet.
3 Likes

Chairman Hiro could be worth considering as a way to pull someone into flatline range through plascrete as well. I’ve been having success playing two copies of Janus as well, hitting someone for a brain or two, then pulling it back for 15 creds to SEA.

Janus makes a certain amount of sense; especially with the option to recover; but Hiro could easily snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

After having watched you play 2 games with your Blue Sun deck, and watching you win both after the opponent snags 2x 3 pointers and then just barely locking them out, I can’t help but think that Chairman Hiro is not the best choice.

This is great advice! Thanks so much!

Couple of follow-up questions:

I am already planning on making room for the SeaScorch combo in the deck due to how quickly the board state can change with Blue Sun. That being said, do you still recommend Datapike over Enigma? And with The Cleaners, do you recommend I run one or two? Right now, I am leaning towards running 2 PriReq and 1 Cleaners, but I am a bit worried that I won’t see The Cleaners enough for it to matter.

2 Credits is a bigger hit than 1 click.

And if you want to see an agenda, run more of them.

I try to evaluate all my ICE as if Reina Roja was the runner. In general, the ICE pool is strong enough to consider this matchup, even if in aggregate you should first be concerned about Atman or Andromeda. Anyway, I’m already a bit begrudging paying 4 for a datapike, Weyland has a few bucks to spare so upgrading to the more “premium” ICE (i.e. datapike over enigma)–but I just wouldn’t spend 5 credits rezzing a datapike, and so in most cases, I would prefer ICE I am okay rezzing at n+1 credits.

1 Like