Card Ratings [Priority: Low]

Also, now that I’m filling it out, there’s a significant chance that ‘survey fatigue’ is affecting the data here.

3 Likes

That’s fair; but the second pass of polling I plan to use on the “broken” category and potentially powerful category will use the system from last year.

Once we’ve identified the “power cards” I’m hoping we can get some strategy guides for how to play with/against those cards and what prep you should consider. A lot of the cards aren’t broken and education is the best way to improve the quality of card ratings overtime, imo.

On survey fatigue. Yes, I felt that too. Hopefully you can push through it. It’s certainly an argument for less options or smaller chunks.

1 Like

Lol broken just means JH, right? God the game would be different without that card. Other than that I can’t think of many cards that are insane. Probably astro…everything else is debatable, corroder, eli, datasucker, andromeda, desperado, stuff like that is just very powerful. But not broken

Jackson not broken either. Corps would be getting stomped left and right without that card.

I think that’s a key point. Fast Track is the most obvious example of this, because it’s awful in most decks, but excellent in NEH FA. Right now, 30% of respondents think it’s “broken”. We could argue all day about what the most broken element of NEH FA is: AstroScript, SanSan, Biotic, Sweeps Week, Eli, DBS, the ID itself? The deck works because all of these cards come together to form a coherent strategy. It’s the same story with RP and Sundew, Celebrity Gift, Caprice, Tsurugi, Pup, etc.

Plus, the top-tier decks use more different cards than ever. For instance, the only cards my NEH FA and my Blue Sun share are 3 Hedge Fund and 3 Jackson. I think that’s a really cool thing for the game! But it makes it hard to rate individual cards for some overall general quality, and so people end up effectively rating the top-tier decks those cards are used in (or not used in).

It’s still fun to look at, though. Poor Push Your Luck. You deserved better.

tbh Hedge Fund so broken, you can only click for 1 credit but you can Hedge Fund for 4 credits… seems broken

3 Likes

Whatever rating system is optimal, it seems like a good idea to be as specific as possible about what the categories mean. Having one word categories introduces noise because people have different interpretations of what that word means.

1 Like

Hedge fund is the most OP card, it’s in every corp deck, regardless of faction.

Broken cards: Fast Track, Eli 1.0, Blackmail, Future Perfect, and probably NEH (maybe just due to FT and Eli).

I hate the word ‘broken’.

3 Likes

Is there an option to mark everything terrible? I’ll go back and click the thirty or so cards that are good. Saves some time :smile:

I feel like “Meta Defining” is better term for the top category. Cards whose existence change the meta and are a major consideration when you build a deck of the opposing faction. That’s how I treated the “broken” category anyway.

This still isn’t a perfect definition though. At this point I I’m the only person who didn’t put Legwork at “Powerful” and put it at “Broken” instead since I think it’s easily the number one game ender right now for the runner. Legwork doesn’t really change the corp’s deck building choices very much mostly because there isn’t all that much you can do other than play a deck that can run Caprice. But boy does it ever effect how we play during the game itself.

1 Like

with that current system on bgg, I’d consider Meta defining to be powerful. I reserve “Broken” for cards that I consider to be imbalanced and too powerful and/or game altering. NEH only gets this for me because of the 15 influence; it allows NEH to play too many good cards. TFP and Caprice are probably the only other 2 cards I consider Broken, and it’s not because of their synergy. even in a vacuum I consider those cards to skew the game too much

1 Like

Play Crisium Grid. It’s something you wanna do anyway ('cause one needs to tech vs. Anarch, hah!), but in some matchups you’ll get extra mileage out of it :stuck_out_tongue: