Community-made Comprehensive Judging Guide

TOd a Regionals, 2 SCs, several GNKs.

TOā€™d regionals, SCs and events at multiple cons over the past few years. Would love to participate in this discussion.

TOā€™d ~8 SCā€™s, a pair of Regionals, 20+ GNKā€™s and a Chronos Protocol. I would love to participate.

I agree; but I like being able to walk into a regionals/worlds/sc and still have a good time and have everyone be friendly. You can have a rule framework that encourages everyone being good sports or you can have a rule framework that encourages tons of ā€œJUDGE!ā€ and icy stairs all game long.

We can have a structured TO experience without making the game Serious Business.

3 Likes

Icy stairs are dangerous, man!

5 Likes

I love this, and have taken it to heart (see: ANRPC). However, a TO guide isnā€™t really necessary for the ā€˜casually competitive friendly environmentā€™.

yea, going forward a model similar to magic makes sense to me. the infraction procedure guideline only applies to non-casual tournaments. there is also a looser set of instruction for regular rules enforcement levels (aka regular REL)

see Wizards of the Coast

there are huge differences. for example:
at regular if a player accidentally draws more cards than he or she was supposed to they receive no penalty. This is a game loss scenario when using the IPG

3 Likes

Iā€™ve run a ton of Netrunner events up here in Vancouver (I guess the equivalent of GNK/SCs?), Iā€™d be happy to give input.

(Iā€™m half of the Terminal7 cast too)

4 Likes

I am almost saying ā€œjust copy almost everything from MTGā€. :stuck_out_tongue:

They have tried to master judging guides for many years.

3 Likes

Only if you donā€™t have your mimic out.

Obviously this is a collaborative effort, but as a TO, this is a big deal to me. Maintaining the friendly environment is of huge concern, and I think every penalty we make should keep in mind not only the infraction, but also the degree to which it encourages players to go rules lawyer on their opponent when they otherwise would not have.

I think some important goals to keep in mind are:

(1) The penalties should be proportionate to the competitive level of the tournament.
(2) The penalties should be forgiving to honest players; mistakes should not cause game losses unless no other solution is reasonable.
(3) The penalties should be severe enough to discourage fucking up and should almost always at least counterweigh any advantage that might have been gained by the player making the error.

19 Likes

I wholeheartedly back this, and will of course contribute to the conversation. I have TOā€™d a couple of SCā€™s and many GNKā€™s, as well as a league here in Ɩrebro, Sweden.

Iā€™d like to help, this sounds like an excellent idea.

Iā€™ve officially TOā€™d dozens of GNK tournaments in my city over the last few years.

Larger events are officially TOā€™d by store employees but they defer to me for rulings on card interactions and some play mistakes as well, so unofficial TO for those as well?

Why not steal from the best?

Slightly off-topic, listened to a great Planet Money podcast recently about MTG, and how they beat the collectible bubble. Main reason? Set rotation enforced via the Pro Tour they created. PT saved the game, as far as theyā€™re concerned, and MTG had its best year ever last year.

1 Like

Been meaning to listen to this for ages. Fine. Will do it now.

a 10 character sentance stating that I agree

1 Like

Iā€™ve TOed a 2015 SC and a draft tourney here in Portland.

Iā€™ve TOā€™d:

• 3 SCs
  • ~12-15 GNKs
  • 5 unofficial tournaments (GNK sized, custom prize pool)
  • 1 unofficial MEGA BOWL (watered down version of the ChiLo City Grid tournament, but a totally different format)

I would love to be a part of this.

I have had to give out punitive countermeasures before and for the most part I think they were fair and that they worked out. Fortunately, aside from rules clarifications, usually things have been pretty easy going.

Local Netrunner TO in the Atlanta region here. Iā€™ve run GNKs, SCs and co-TOā€™ed the Regionals this year. Would be more than happy to help.

Iā€™d love to be in on this as well. Organizer for new orleans playgroup. Will be judging our regionals event. Organized/judged/assisted all the other gnk, leagues, and tourneys in new orleans for netrunner to date.

I could add my thoughts to the processafter TOing several events for the past two years (1 Reg, 2 SC, 12+ GNK).

I strongly believe that some of the basic game policing in ANR (paying/using credits, clicks, etc.) needs to happen between the players as it is part of playing the game (@false-idol). TOs should only be involved for specific card/rule interaction/timing questions.

My one suggestion/rule is the following: Corporation players must reveal all face down card in play at the end of the game to opponent to show proper installation of cards during the game. Any incorrect installation would justify an immediate loss for the Corp player. This seem to be the biggest issue I have every ran into TOing a tournament.

2 Likes