Competitive Kit Discussion

Tech Writer’s great in Kit, since you’re aggressively pushing cheap programs and hardware. Chips everywhere, and it doesn’t only trigger once a turn! Thus, install clone chip. Run. Use clone chip for SMC. SMC for a breaker. Boom, three credit refund in the future!

1 Like

I have a problem with Technical Writer, and it’s called Ghost Runner.

You should totally splash Crescentus and/or Parasite if you’re gonna play TW, though.

TW doesn’t seem that promising to me compared to other economy options. Personal Workshop works on the same ~15 targets but you can use it gain more than 1c on the higher costing hardware/programs. Only thing you gain from TW is the ability to include multiple in your deck and get more than 1 credit if you install more than 1 thing in a turn.

This would be exactly why TW is better than PW for Kit (or maybe just stealth Kit?) because you are installing lots of low cost things and PW is just too slow.

I like it. Without Clone Chips you free up important slots. But how is your HB FA matchup without Clot? I think Clot is quite important for that match.

I’m sure you’ll find hardly anyone is on HBFA anymore. They’ve all fled bc of higher variance than astrobiotics. If you see HB atm, it’s full glacial foodcoats or jank waldemar.

Astrobiotics is still it’s hardest MU. You wanna get set up pretty quick. Keeping an ok hand with astrolabe is always a good start. Make single runs in HQ when you’re set up to peel agendas before they can FA them out and then go for timed TME runs. Idk, it’s still hard, but it’s hard for a lot of runners. I try to play it as if I were a criminal. I don’t install anything I don’t need since their ice is junk, I dig for multi access and I just go hard

Not to run far afield, but I’m running HBFA right now with Team Sponsorships. I’m not sure it’s better than NEH Turtlebacks (which is what I was playing) but it doesn’t get crapped on by clot as much and its noise matchup feels better.

2 Likes

I think out of astrobiotics, turtlebacks and hbfa, turtles is just the worst of the three. I applaud you for playing hbfa, everyone else jumped ship

coincidentally, i won (albeit small) GNK with HBFA and Prepaid Kit and came in to post the deck

haven’t published it because, well, i never publish my decks and it’s still testing. i put this together last night with help from some people in stimhack chat

anyway, it was inspired by someone mentioned something on reddit about prepaid in Kit, since her ability provides a better way of problem solving than Kate’s ability. anyway, here’s the deck.

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/494792

Prepaid Kit

Rielle “Kit” Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (24)
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos) [color=#FF4500]•••[/color]
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Lucky Find (Double Time) [color=#708090]••[/color]
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
1x Vamp (Trace Amount) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]

Hardware (6)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
1x HQ Interface (Humanity’s Shadow) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (7)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) [color=#4169E1]•[/color]
1x Omega (Fear and Loathing)
1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

Program (4)
2x Hyperdriver (The Underway)
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 10)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

it started as just a standard Prepaid Kate with ProCo in Kit, and that’s mostly where it landed. when i originally put the deck together, my thinking was “if i swap 3x Lucky Find to 3x Day Job, that’s 3 saved influence, and i only need to cut 2 more”
i immediately cut Mimic and Datasucker and considered stealth, so i could run Dagger and not have to use any influence. it ended up being problematic. too many pieces to run stealth AND prepaid, so i dropped it all and just went Test Run / Scavenge with Torch. the great thing about Prepaid is that it’s still good out of Kate but for some reason doesn’t seem as essentially. once you get 1 or 2, you’re in business. i even trashed the third from hand a couple times. in Kate, i’d never do that.

anyway, i was also considering @bahram’s Bad Ideas Kate, uses Chameleon and Hyperdriver, to take the GNK. while putting all of this together, i realised that Kit’s rig is relatively small for most of the game and threw them in at the last minute, but loved the inclusion. it’s amazing with Professional Contacts.

this deck only lost to a shutdown Haarp, even though it had a Film Critic in its opening hand. it just never managed to grab anything before they got the combo ready.
anyway, after a few plays with it, i think i’ll cut the Lucky Find and go 2x Vamp (i had originally had 2x Lucky Find and wasn’t sure about Vamp at all, but it ended up being very good). this deck makes a metric ton of money. even to the point that hard installing Torch isn’t a huge problem.
Omega never mattered. it was something i saw in a list somewhere and thought it might be interesting, but i never needed to install it. maybe it’ll matter at some point, or maybe Atman will be better here.
Test Run / Scavenge is a well-established combo and Test Run Femme is solid. with all the extra clicks from Hyperdriver, i’m considering a 1x London Library
i also want to try to fit in an Earthrise Hotel or two because it’s pretty baller with Day Job

anyway, it’s a fun deck, and i think Prepaid Kit isn’t too bad. i know inevitably the question will be ‘why not Kate?’ and honestly, i think it’s up to personal preference. they have the same basic econ engine, except Kate does it better, so i don’t think Kit is ever going to better than Kate, but the rig is (and pretty much has to be) completely different than Kate’s and can also fit in some crazy turns with Hyperdriver, something Kate can’t do as well (but i have tried it. it’s a fun mess). also, Kit has an innate ability to find her way in where she otherwise wouldn’t be able to. when Rebirth comes out, i’ll probably do something inbetween this and standard prepaid Kate

3 Likes

I think Hyperdriver is vastly underrated in Shaper. Its not just a DLR cheese button. You can fit it into more decks that you think, and running Lady/Cyber and Clone chips, you can ghetto Scavenge by clearing them for memory and gain economic/setup value doing so.

2 Likes

It’s also an Apocalypse cheese button!

Code gate breaker, a Femme, couple Test Run and a Tinkering, and you’re in business.

Dammit, Higgs.
Now I’ve gotta go build an Apocalypse Kit (For Survival After The End) deck.
Thanks a lot. >.<

1 Like

I have one that’s a ridiculous Hyperdriver combo deck, and another one that’s just a regular Stealth deck.

Having 3 copies of Refractor in your deck is a lot better when you keep turning them facedown. Except it isn’t actually that good. But it’s here for you if you want to have an absolute blast playing against randos on Jinteki.

On the topic of competitive Kit, I’m starting to think that Yog + D4v1d is the most powerful thing you can do with 5 of your influence. Reason being that the only, like, meta ice you actually deal with well are Turing and Assassin (if you’re on Dagger). No, Tollbooth does not count; I don’t care if 5 is a nice number for Refractor. Architect, Ichis, Archangel, Eli, Susan, it all sucks for you. Much better to just Yog things.

I played a couple games with a shitty PPVP Yog-it deck that convinced me the idea has promise. I had Paintbrush and didn’t hate it.

2 Likes

T O R C H B O Y S :wink:

3 Likes

Do you boost Yog at all, or just leave it at 3? If the latter, how do you deal with strength 4 codegates?

I had 2 NRE and 1 TPT. Also I had Atman, but that seems like a waste when I can just find one of 3 cards in my deck.

So Kala Ghoda is coming up and it (probably) contains an important card for Kit, Panchatantra.

Assuming our guesses on the card text are correct, it is a 2 cost, 1 memory program that makes 1 encountered ice per turn gain Barrier, Code Gate or Sentry for that run. I don’t need to tell people in this thread that Kit’s ability is pretty awesome and using it twice per turn is even better. The bigger question is how it affects our current decks.

As I see it, it’s a a tool for handling barriers/sentries which lets us skimp a bit on those breakers. A single copy of Corroder or Init instead of Lady for instance. We can afford to be a bit more inefficient in our breaker suite if the corp needs to have a 3 ice deep server before we have to use a non-decoder. Personally, I’m thinking about dropping Lady and Knifed though I don’t know what I’ll do with all that spare influence (I think no one has ever said that about Kit).

If that’s indeed what it does, it will definitely help Kit out a lot. I’d almost say we’d want to keep Knifed in because it becomes more versatile… It lets you start trashing the outer Code Gate ICE.

1 Like

And makes Surfer even better. :smile: Though I’m not sure how competitive that is.

1 Like

If possible, I think you want to trash the inner ice if they start putting code gates as their outermost ice. Then if they want to get you to encounter a non-code gate, they’ll have to throw 2 more ice on that server. Only time knifed backfired was when my opponent kept stacking smaller barriers in front of his expensive ones. Otherwise it’s been great when my opponents were playing glacier, less so when my opponents were spamming assets or trying to kill me.

1 Like