Competitive Kit Discussion

I’m trying out Kit with Egrets

3 Likes

What are you doing for economy? Egret seems nice in Kit, but I’ve always struggled to make economy work in Kit with such limited influence. I assume that Temujin is a stretch, but viable as 2x…not sure what else I would put in there. Maybe Kati, Dirty Laundry, Sure Gamble, and Daily Casts?

I’ve been playing this with some success. Study guide is nice when it’s weaknesses are offset by Chameleon, but I’ve been experimenting with Gordian too. Will be trying out Inversificator once it’s legal as well.

Rielle “Kit” Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (8)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x Stimhack (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]●●[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (14)
3x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]★[/color]
3x LLDS Processor (True Colors)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (8)
3x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
2x Salsette Slums (Salsette Island) [color=#FF4500]●●●●[/color]

Icebreaker (4)
2x Chameleon (The Underway)
1x Paperclip (Blood Money) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]
1x Study Guide (Breaker Bay)

Program (11)
3x Egret (Terminal Directive)
3x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
1x Net Shield (Core Set)
1x Paricia (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 10, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Terminal Directive

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Magnum Opus is the Econ. No influence needed.

1 Like

Thoughts about Dhegdheer vs. Akametsu Mem Chips? Higher initial install cost, but saves you credits on the repeated install for Chameleon and can accommodate SMCs and Magnum Opus more easily.

I think MOpus is great in many Shaper decks, I just wonder if a run-based aggressive economy package would work better in Kit, who seems to excel in the early game. I feel like she would do well with Temujin + Dirty Laundry + Patron, and maybe Kati Jones for burst economy to supplement the mid/late game. But I was curious if other people were trying different economy engines out of her.

MO is really slow if you don’t have a way to cheat it out. I’ve been playing the Terminal Directive shaper deck and that experience has been just reinforcing that MO isn’t enough economy on its own anymore. That shaper deck can get MO out for 1 on the first turn with modded and that’s still not enough to say ahead of the not very well optimized corp.

My current Kit deck is running the following for econ. I don’t feel that I’ve played enough games recently to judge if it’s effective now but it was the right mix before.

3x Daily Casts
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Sure Gamble
1x Kati Jones
2x Symmetrical Visage
2x Temüjin Contract

2 Likes

Sure. You need to get Opus out early. Fortunately, Shaper has lots of tools to do that. I rarely have a hard time getting Opus on the table quickly.

1 Like

I’m not sure Dhegdheer would be much of an improvement. Chameleon is getting installed from PW probably 90% of the time (in my experience), so you won’t be getting the savings from Dhegdheer. Plus you can’t host Egret on a Dhegdheer.

Here’s my latest concept deck for Kit. It uses Artist Colony to pull up Kati Jones, Beth, and Cy-Cy / Egret (mid-run). It’s not competitive because it doesn’t have any anti-recursion tools.

The economy is the biggest issue. Once they have 4-5 ice on R&D, my only choice is to click for credits / Kati for two turns and then Maker’s eye. Maybe the Dheegdheer/MOpus approach would be better for the late game?

The Aggrohammer Mk II

Rielle “Kit” Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (15)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Escher (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
2x Tinkering (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ★★★
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (12)
2x Artist Colony (Kala Ghoda)
2x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Fan Site (Old Hollywood)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Sacrificial Construct (Core Set)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ●●
3x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x GS Shrike M2 (Data and Destiny) ●●

Program (7)
2x Egret (Terminal Directive)
1x Medium (Core Set) ●●●
1x Paricia (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 10, available 0)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Terminal Directive

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

No advice for your economy, but Shapers are in a bad spot for this at this time.

That said, about your breakers, have you give a thought to Cerberus Lady ? Yeah, it asks to free a slot for an Inti and maybe another one for a Scavenge, but breakers that lower breaking cost are great with Egret (also Yog, but once it was easier to include).

I was nervous about Lady only because of the limited tokens. Plus Scavenge is less good with Skorpios in the meta. That said, I only install my fracter in half my games, using Egret + decoder on as much ice as possible. Maybe Lady isn’t as crazy as I thought.

A Yog would be conceivable, possibly helping the “R&D is too taxing” problem. Multi-sub ice is what’s killing me.

I would happily drop 1 Cy-Cy for a permanent decoder. I never have trouble finding one between Artist Colony and SMC.

What’s your suggested influence spread? Money, Killer, Fracter, and Clone Chips seem to be the stuff to spend it on.

You’re right about Scavenge, it’s just a dead draw against Skorpios.

I play-tested a Kate deck around Egret, playing with the fact that it helps to deal with multi-sub ices along with dedicated breakers (it’s a long time personal pet theme o’mine, going back to Tinkering and Paintbrush) Now, it’s Kate so influence is easier, but it was basically spent where you say : 3x Lucky Find for money, Lady, Mongoose (with the thought that Egret could help me to deal with stacked sentries) only 2x Clone chip (plus a Leg Work).

I first tried it with a basic PPvP engine, then tried with 3x Fan Sites and 2x Shadow Net. If you don’t burn all your Fan Sites to Artist Colony give a try to this last one.

But let’s be honest, I may have enjoyed this jank a little too much to realize it was bad.

1 Like

So, an interesting thing here is the choice of sentry breaker. Shapers need to spend influence if they want a dedicated Killer, and Mongoose or Shrike are both good choices with Egret. As you said, you can use Egret to get around Mongoose’s downside. Shrike can use Egret to break any number of subroutines on any ice. However, I don’t think there’s that many ice where Shrike+Egret is the cheapest way to break them. Especially if Cy-Cy can break as well. Therefore, Mongoose might be a better choice.

Alternatively, maybe Inti+Yog+Mimic+Datasucker (+Dean Lister?) is the best support rig for Kit.

Any suite of breakers we come up with is taking up ~4 of Kit’s precious influence. :frowning:

I know that Stealth Kit doesn’t really exist anymore because ‘Why not just run Smoke?’ but is it possible to pull lessons from the Smoke decks that run primarily Shaper breakers…?

Stealth Kit is still a thing since refractor is still the best stealth breaker. You trade 1 Temujin contract worth of influence for faster setup time since you only need a single breaker to start face checking everything.

As for sentry breakers, I could see MKUltra as an alternative to Dagger. It’s not cheap to use on some ice but it’s cheap to install, breaks everything, and you don’t have to worry about it getting trashed.

1 Like

I actually don’t agree with this. Kit has some very real advantages.

The biggest one is that it’s much harder for the corp to respond to Temujin, since you’re generally pretty happy playing Refractor from hand and waltzing through one ice to collect your bucks, as opposed to Smoke, who is probably SMC’ing her breaker and conceding single-iced servers elsewhere.

Another one is that Kit can just punt on the Fracter question and play a single Inti or Lady with a couple Tinkering for critical turns.

5 Likes

I think it’s probably worth reiterating for anyone new who might be reading this that Kit’s ability applies to the first ice encountered, and only until the end of that run. I think your characterization of “waltzing through ice to collect Temujin bucks” is a bit misleading in this context.

I think it’s also not entirely accurate to characterize Kit as “playing Refractor from hand” and immediately doing a thing, since you also require a minimal stealth infrastructure for this to be true. As Smoke only needs an SMC to get going, I’d say she’s favoured since Kit needs to draw Refractor plus a stealth piece (or I suppose a stealth piece plus SMC for Refractor, which feels wasteful).

I think the contemporary Kit meta, if there is one, will probably depend on obtaining more value via Houdini and Egret. Pump Houdini once and pass through the rest of the ice? Or something.

Kit also has slight anti-synergy with currently popular Indexing/Mad Dash strategies. On the second run the ice is no longer a code gate, which is easy to forget and easier to play around. Not a massive deal in some matchups I guess, but to me, Kit works better with event multiaccess and RDIs as a result of this peculiarity.

4 Likes

I think the operative point is that you don’t have to choose between installing a breaker to collect Temujin money and installing a breaker to contest remote servers, because you can use Refractor for both of these things. You might have to delay for a little bit while you rustle up a Stealth piece, but Stealth decks (even Smoke ones) have many more Stealth pieces in them than they do breakers or SMCs.

Totally agree on a lot of your points. Smoke’s primary advantage is that she only needs one program to start breaking, as opposed to two cards like anyone else. Stealth Kit’s main issue is that her ability makes for a strong early game, but her breaker suite has a bad early game.

I really like the idea of Stealth Kit running Houdini + Egrets, although I’m not sure effective it might be in the late game. For each non-code gate ice the corp lays down on R&D, you need to find an Egret. I suppose you can still run the rest of the breaker suite too.

Because Kit’s ability is only once per turn, Indexing is inherently bad for her. Which means Maker’s Eye is her event of choice. Which makes me think…Deep Data Mining? Maybe with some Scavenges to re-host early programs on Dhegdheers or Omni-Drives.

Also, Careful Planning seems like it would be amazing in Kit. Has anyone played around with that?

Final thought: Code Gates have been popular throughout the Flashpoint cycle. I’d like to think Kit can do some good work this regional season.

1 Like

I just play Tinkering to enable Indexing / Dash. Works well enough.