Competitive Kit Discussion

If the new restricted list pans out (which seems likely), we can’t have both Opus and Inversificator. Ouch.

I’ve been building variants keeping inversificator without good econ (hard), and with Opus. For the latter, we still have test run, so why not use it on Mass-Driver! I know this took a turn for the jank. Anyone have any luck with MD?

I’ve not had any real success with mass driver but I kinda gave up on it after only one or two games. Once they see the damn thing, they can do very simple, obvious things like put a fairchild or an ichi in front of a vanilla or something and it’s a terrible waste of money. worse is one deep servers.

I’m not sure inversifactor works without huge economies, and so I’m not sure the deck really has play if you can’t have opus and inver. I’m happy to be wrong, however.

My idea for the Opus deck is to go back to Gordian and put Adjusted Matrix on top of it so that you can utilize the retained strength more. Mass Driver is unfortunately too shitty, the numbers are just horrible.

Here is my current version of Kit. Nothing super exotic here. It is an MWL 2.0 update of the Noob Kit popularized by @thebigboy with some advice from him on the modifications.

Test Run making it into Revised Core really saved this deck from the bin, in my opinion. Lack of RDI means you can’t really R&D lock vs. Fast Advance decks any more, which is a big weakness. I miss the Personal Workshop, but the deck functions without it.

Scrubber is a tech slot that could easily be something else if you are not expecting a lot of Spam. Sac Con is tech for Skorpios. It could be changed easily as well.

Noob Model Kit

Rielle “Kit” Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (22)
3x Diesel (Revised Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) [color=#4169E1]●●●●[/color]
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Stimhack (Revised Core Set) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Revised Core Set)
3x Test Run (Revised Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Revised Core Set)
2x Tinkering (Revised Core Set)

Hardware (4)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
2x Sports Hopper (Salsette Island)

Resource (8)
3x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Sacrificial Construct (Revised Core Set)
2x Scrubber (Revised Core Set) [color=#FF4500]●●[/color]

Icebreaker (5)
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Femme Fatale (Revised Core Set) [color=#4169E1]●[/color]
2x Gordian Blade (Revised Core Set)
1x Na’Not’K (Free Mars)

Program (6)
3x Magnum Opus (Revised Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 10, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Revised Core Set

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

3 Likes

Why Lady over Inti? Test run scavenge synergy? If so, I would put in x1 Same old thing to increase consistency and redundancy.

3 stimhack is certainly surprising as a corp, I can see how that could win games.

If you have SacCons, Tapwrm makes them useful in every matchup, instead of just against Skorp.

Also, as a remote lock deck, you do often sit back and take money at times when the corp also has a big pile of credits, so it could work well for you.

Lady is good against medium to large barriers and Inti is not. Not really a Test Run target, but certainly a Scavenge one if you need it.

1 Like

SacCon is 100% a meta call. I’m not sure you even need it against Skorpios, to be honest, but it is there for now.

My case against Tapwrm goes as follows. First, the point of the deck is that MOpus is all the money you need. Second, Tapwrm takes MU in a rig that has no extra MU, so you are probably going to end up trashing it yourself at some point. If I thought I needed Tapwrm to justify SacCon, I’d probably just drop SacCon for something more useful.

4 Likes

Neat deck idea! A couple of thoughts for you:

Do you think Modded would help with smoothing out the early game? I haven’t sleeved up a Kit deck in a long time, so my thoughts might be seriously outdated, but I often felt like Kit struggles with paying for big stuff in the early game. Magnum Opus helps with that, but Modded would help with making Opus an easier target if you don’t see it until turn 2-3. Modded would also help with installing any of your breakers or Sports Hopper.

If you do consider Modded, you might also consider making room for Daredevil. I’m guessing that Corps are going to double-ice all of their main servers quickly against Kit, so that helps a lot with draw. I’m guessing it would get you more draw than Astrolabe at this point. That would simultaneously open up memory for a final rig consisting of Opus + Lady + Femme + Blade + Na’Not’K.

You might consider -1 Beth, -2 Earthrise, -2 Astrolabe; +3 Modded, +2 Daredevil.

Thanks for the ideas. I’m not sure they fit with the deck concept for the following reason. The real goal with this deck is to get out an Opus, Beth, Astrolabe, and Blade as fast as possible. After that, you may not click to draw cards unless you need to dig for something specific.

So, late game draw with Daredevil is not really helpful. If you want the draw for Obokata games, Sports Hopper fills that role. Early game draw is good to get your pieces, but after that, you really are happy to draw only as much as Beth and Astrolabe give you.

Modded is not a bad card by any means, and it would make installing an Opus or expensive breaker less of a bite. But I think Daredevil would change the overall game plan.

I’m a bit sad that this is probably the only competitive build for Kit right now. Stealth is now Smoke exclusive (no Lockpick = sad Kit) and all of the other breaking options require real credits and only MO can sufficiently provide that influence-free. As an avid hater of mash-mopus-runner this makes Kit a non-starter for me.

Daredevil is great for Kit on paper, but then you realize it’s 5 to install, and there are going to be turns you probably don’t want to run anywhere - why would you with no RDI, or any sort of playable run-based economy in Shaper?

1 Like

Something to keep in mind when your using one Lady and Scavenge to reset counters. You’re taking on a risk against Skorpios. As soon as you trash Lady to Scavenge, they can remove it, without getting a chance to put it in play with 4 new counters. But, you may be able to get enough accesses with the original 4 counters, Kit’s ability, Femme and Tinkering, to pull out the win. Seems like it may be tough.

Another trick is to rely on Test Run’s put on top of the Stack ability to refresh the counters without worrying about Skorpios’ ability (besides losing Test Run). Meaning that you can Test Run early in your turn, run up to 3 times, then let it put Lady back on top to be used with another Test Run. It gets complicated if you end having Lady in your grip (you would have to discard it). Worst places to have Lady is in play (without Test Run trigger lingering) and in your grip. Maybe those tricks are enough for the match-up if played carefully.

1 Like

Yes. The Skorpios match is a dance. In the days when you could run three Inversificator it was pretty easy to win. Now it is a razor’s edge.

1 Like

I think an Inti along Lady is always a good idea, but I don’t know what kind of barrier Skorpio plays.

1 Like

The brutal truth is simply that as long as inversificator and mopis are both on restricted list, kit has no real place in the competitive scene.

Why Sacrificial Construct instead of Dummy Box? More immune to Best Defense that most Scorpios are playing, not much more expensive, and re-usable.

The main reason to play SacCon over Dummy Box right now is because it saves Tapwyrm and Clot from virus purge. You don’t care about those, so Dummy Box seems better.

I’ve not tried Dummy Box, but it might be a good idea. I’m wary of the need to hold programs in my grip to be able to use it, though. Generally, in hand is the least useful place to hold on to programs in Shaper in my experience. That said, I don’t have a strong argument against it vs SacCon if you think it is more useful.

You do change your play slightly. You hold the redundant Opus, or the SMCs if you’re already set up to use for Dummy Box. You aren’t holding on to useful programs to use with Dummy Box. Doing this makes it feel like your hand is one smaller. Decent trade-off to make against Skorpios.

Makes sense.

I’ve only played 6 games (IIRC) vs. Skorpios and did not really use SacCon in those even. Just run smart, build and keep a money advantage, and don’t take obvious bait unless you are ready for the consequences. The good thing about Skorpios – at least as I’ve encountered it – is that the game plan is usually pretty obvious.

I’m not saying I’m an expert, but I’d almost rather have a third Gordian Blade rather than SacCon.

2 Likes

A third gordian is better if your econ can support it. It’s less vulnerable to Hatchet Job + Hospitality and opens up more scoring windows for you.