Core 2.0: Everything Old is New Again

I’m really curious why Core 2.0 excites people without having at least the first pack of Cycle 8?

To me, Core 2.0 clearly makes the game worse, both as a Core only experience and a Core + cycles 3-7 experience. All it does it remove the fun, iconic cards from the game. The benefit of that is that it opens up design space, to release Criminal consoles that wouldn’t get played with desperado existing, to release money stealing cards that wouldn’t get played with siphon, to release ice destruction that wouldn’t get played with parasite in the card pool, etc. But until we see those cards, it’s going to be a bummer. I can see why they waited to announce Core 2.0 until the next cycle was announced, but I wish it also didn’t go into effect until the first pack was released. I would honestly probably cancel my Worlds trip if I didn’t play Thrones as well.

3 Likes

Really handy thanks.

A question for more experienced players - does this fix the whole dumblefork type decks ?

24/7 breaking news is gone from competitive
Sifr Parasite is gone from competitive (now sifr can even go off MWL and be an interesting card)
Account siphon +12 recursion cards just to recur it is gone from competitive
EtF + Kate Kingdom is gone from competitive
Noise was really bad for a core experience
Medium can be discussed a lot, but enabled the “I don’t care what you do I’ll just dig RnD till the game is over”
(I’m sure i’m forgetting more core problems)

I agree the Core 2.0 is maybe a little bit too soft (Account siphon is a cool card if not abused, Sansan city grid was a healthy threat, Scorched, parasite etc) but I think the overall product will improve a lot the competitive experience. Casual Netrunner was always good, And losing the listed cards won’t change that probably.

5 Likes

For me, the most significant thing about this Revised Core ( i’d call it a Core 1.2, rather than 2.0 btw, but whatever, anyway ) is that it signals that as far as the current FFG ANR team are concerned any card in the entire card pool could be rotated and either ditched or in effect revised via new iterations. Up until this point non-cycle cards were effectively set in stone, with only the very rare ‘errata’. This means that FFG are no longer trapped when designing new cards by previous designs, and that any problem caused by any card can be resolved over the long 8 cycle term, if not within the next two cycles.

8 Likes

Dumblefork relied a lot on Wyldside, so that’s a huge gaping hole at least.

Maybe it will shift to Dumbo Ka…Hayley, but without parasite Shaper can no longer do ice destruction.

2 Likes

I really do think that of those iconic cards we love - like SanSan, Siphon, Medium, Desperado, Scorched, etc. - we will get more balanced replacements in later packs.
The Revised Core is the most elegant solution for people like us who play since day 1 and won’t need to buy 1-3 new core boxes (I will, of course, because the new cards look awesome).

4 Likes

I’m hyped with the Core2.0 and personally I think it is a great idea. Having said that…

…how Core2.0 works with Terminal Directive?! How it is supposed to work in the long run (I’m thinking about new players). Do you guys have any idea how it could work?

1 Like

Hard to say this without accidentally sounding condescending, but i really don’t mean it that way:

The gut feeling as a player is not always the best judge, especially when a lot of good memories are tied to these cards.
There will be new powerplays, and new good memories, but there really are better and worse ways of creating these types of cards, and the rotating core cards have reliably shown to be offenders of various degree with regards to this.

What they all (mostly) have in common is the binarity of effect with no in-built counter mechanism.
That means the counter needs to be very card/deck-specific, which moves the game from the play to the deckbuilding.

EDIT: It also by definition increases variance&luck of individual matches as what you draw determines more of the outcome.

10 Likes

@Bifurcator @3N1GM4. I Agree this should be made legal for worlds even if it hasn’t been released yet - all the players will have all the cards already. I can just imagine in a year’s time ffg releasing beautiful full bleed decks full of useless cards. Imagine Andromeda wins playing 3 desperado and 3 siphon and 3 parasite!

It is legal for worlds. Twitter reversed the statement on the news announcement.

3 Likes

Really liking the card list for core 2.0. Even with my favorite card gone (parasite), I’m glad siphon is no longer in the game. It’s obvious they took a long hard look at which cards were detracting or adding nothing to the game and swapped them out for more interesting and balanced cards. The only exception I can see is Project Ares, especially with Beale included too. Stop trying to make Ares happen, it’s never going to happen.

I’m also very surprised they didn’t take this opportunity to “update” the anr core set to be more like their newer lcgs and have 1-ofs of everything.

3 Likes

Psychographics begs to differ! I think with siphon gone, anything is possible.

3 Likes

“Without siphon anything is possible” is pretty much gonna be the mantra of the new Corp meta. Any concerns about corps being to poor post rotation are pretty much gone now.

2 Likes

I’ve tried, and there’s no reason to try to Psychographics Ares if you can just Psychographics Beale.

2 Likes

Am I crazy here or is the removal of both siphon and parasite coupled with the inclusion of Ronin and Celebrity Gift a HUGE boon for shell game style Jinteki?

Maybe I’m the only one excited by such a prospect…

1 Like

Oh no, you aren’t the only one.

I have played Jinteki shell game through all the metas and managed to make it work for me but Siphon spam was always one of the toughest matches. Parasite caused struggles too when I have so few ice. Both being gone means I can breathe easier without a ETR or painful face check for HQ I can rez turn one.

Core 2.0 has less neutral agenda points available, so HB needed an extra agenda. The choice was between Ares and Mandatory Upgrades, I guess they didn’t want a 6/2 in the core.

Unless HB is better than yellow in other ways, so you gain a lot by going purple

I know, it will never happen.

1 Like

Tell me about it! The last time I tried to Psychographics Ares when I could Psychographics Beale, it got me kicked out of a tournament. :wink:

8 Likes