Core 2.0: Everything Old is New Again

Having World with a 2 days meta seems to be at least as much stupid (unless you enjoy noob games ?).

There’s really no way to please everyone here, but the argument of Worlds Champion decks immediately becoming obsolete is as good as any. With the change, the new data pack will build on an existing Worlds meta, rather than Worlds 2017 existing in some weird dead-end meta where some cards were illegal that later became legal again.

2 Likes

AND, get this, they removed Net Shield too! What were they thinking!? :stuck_out_tongue:

Braintrust stays

:stuck_out_tongue:

edit - other errors in my opinion :

• Chum is out. With access ice, it was fun.
  • SEA source stays - huge warning there. Rotation was pushing the card out, and it was cool in a world with Scorched. Now Scorched get removed, we have to stay vigilant about tag punishing.
  • Beal stay. This card could die with the rotation and that was my main, very very very main reason to love the rotation idea (I could write pages on this). This is stupid to crystalize it.
  • Desperado is out. This is okay, but the card just came out of MWL. I don’t understand the yes/no/yes/no messages there.
  • Braintrust crystalizes. The fuck, FFG. Burn that card, forget it, and redo a usefull slot compression 3/2 for Jinteki. Jinteki thrives for slots to have the space they need to put traps. You saved traps in your coreset, then stick with the plan.

Meh:

• Scorched is out. Well, this is really unexpected. I don’t really know what to think about that.
  • Same thing about Syphon. Syphon was (very) strong, but you could work around the trick by putting many threats on the board waiting for th Syphon to come. Once syphon came, you could raise those, and watch the runner syphon your 3 last creds.
  • Kati Jones is still out.
  • They missed the opportunity to kill wall of thon.

Very very happy with crystalization of Chaos Theory, and Reina. Too bad for Noise & Kate, but they had very well documented problems that could lead to Clone Chip out of MWL, and there’s reasons to be happy about that.
Very happy with the crystallization of Hokusai grid, pop up window, Imp, lib account, faery, indexing. Green level is saved. Atlas is crystalized and this is great.

I don’t know what to think. Somehow ok but there’s still critics to say. I think the situation may go to okay soon, if they print Jackson Howard as a neutral 1 inf card.

1 Like

A few people have mentioned the deluxe expansions, and it got me thinking that if FFG are happy to splice the two rotating out cycles with the core, then why not rejig the whole core + deluxe package and splice the two rotating out cycles with the core and the deluxe expansions? It might not always be required for the amount of cards FFG want to keep and / or retire, but it would give a lot more flexibility, both in terms of the overall core + deluxe card pool and in terms of what kind of core experience FFG can create, and it would mean that the deluxe expansions could be evolved in the same way the core has been.

I played Netrunner for 4 years,and now I feel like I’m a noob,I’m new to a strange but cool-looking cyberpunk card games like 4 years ago.
So yes,this is the greatest thing ever happened to Netrunner.

15 Likes

I always expected them to refresh the Deluxe boxes. It was pretty plain that they used the language “most recent” when referring to the legality of both the Core and Deluxe box expansions. While they could do second edition Deluxes in the same way they did Core 2 (existing, rotating cards get put in, some cards stay in, select cards get rotated out) I wouldn’t be surprised if there was just a new edition Deluxe (eg. Creation & Control 2.0) that was all new cards. It doesn’t have the same “need to buy 3 for a full set” issue that the Core set does, meaning it would be much less of a burden on existing players that way. It also keeps big-box expansions in the release rotation (more meta turnover, player excitement) and keeps the card pool the same size.

RIP Wyvern. We hardly knew ya.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be completely opposed to the idea, especially C&C could use this treatment. However, I would assume that such a change in the distribution model (doing this every rotation) would have been announced, probably with together with the new Core. Always surprising people with it does not seem to be the smartest move.

Also, I think the other deluxe expansions are fine and some factions already got reasonable (at the very least for casual play) additions in the form of Terminal Directive. They flesh out the strengths of each faction and the fundamental mechanics of Netrunner. So, I think there is a lot less pressure to redo the deluxe expansions from a design perspective.

1 Like

I’m not against rotating out Deluxes at all, but either way, whether they rotate them out or splice them, the card pool size can remain the same, and the Deluxes can continue to have 3 of each card. Rotating them out would mean new cards, splicing them would mean more flexibility with what’s put in Core. Both options seem good to me.

I think your assessment of the deluxe expansions being fine for the most part may well be true, but i don’t see a problem with them announcing splicing changes to the deluxe expansions with little warning, as they have done with the Core Set. In effect, all that they are announcing to existing players is that a few unexpected cards are rotating out, which is little different to releasing a data pack and thereby rotating unexpected cards in. In any case, it’s a year until the next rotation.

1 Like

I would prefer that any future big box or core changes come with at least the vague murmurs and rumors we had for Core 2.0.

It’s not fun to be talking to a new player about how they can best get into the game and discover that the product they just bought on your recommendation is not actually a good starting point for getting into the game, and I’m sure it isn’t fun to buy a product and discover it isn’t actually a good starting point for getting into the game.

4 Likes

No boxes were harmed or made useless by the release of Core 2.0

1 Like

Any Core 1’s bought without the purchase of packs from the first 2 cycles are wasted. You will have to buy 3 new cores to get playsets of everything if you don’t have the first 2 cycles, and that will mean you get 3x anything that was in the original core 1 boxes, thereby making your core 1 purchases a waste.

Useless is the wrong term, you’re right.

But Core 2.0 made buying Core 1.0 much less appealing.

If a new player just bought Core 1.0, that’s really unfortunate! If they get into Netrunner and want a full cardpool now, they are either going to need to buy most of Genesis and Spin, or just buy Core 2.0.

Now, I think that’s an unfortunate side effect of some changes that were really good for the game. But because we had whisperings of Core 2.0, to some extent we could mitigate those side effects (though not that much).

“Hey, I’m really liking this game… what should I buy first?”

“Oh, maybe just hold off on waiting Core 1.0, there might be an announcement soon.”

So what I am trying to say here is that the sooner we know about a new box the better for people trying to get into the game.

1 Like

On the gripping hand, buying 3x Core 2.0 is cheaper than 3x Core 1.0 + Spin+Genesis…

1 Like

I’m alright with the power level lowering a bit within the revised set. The old cards may have been the earliest defining features for those factions, but they won’t be the last ones.

As experimented with BB45, the removal of high-powered cards incentivizes players to find new lines of play with cards that are closer to each other on the power curve. I’m personally in the “asset spam is not real Netrunner” camp, and BB45 somewhat returns to “real Netrunner.” If there are fewer ways to negate ice, ice becomes a more attractive option over asset spam. For reference, 12 cards on that list are cards not included in the revised core that are in Core.

For some perspective on where I’m coming from, although I’ve played a number of Jnet games with full sets, I don’t actually own physical copies of the deluxe boxes. This means my in-person games have been without insta-parasucker and using AS six times a game. The revised core did the same thing, but from the other angle. I have the signature cards, but without the ones that enable abuse. FFG went the route of keeping the repeatable cards, but now they are to be used on less powerful options. I really think that CC and SOT enable an undesirable amount of use of powerful cards at insta-speed. I enjoy my games that don’t have that Abuse/Eject button, so I would be one who wouldn’t want those repetition cards included in the future.

Card games are always going to have good and bad cards. I believe it was a link someone posted on these forums where I read about the MTG card pool and good/bad cards. In short, suppose you were to take the best MTG players, and have them collectively select the best 500 cards from which to deckbuild, there would still be good and bad cards.

With all that said, the seemingly lower power level of the revised set does seem to invite more importing from the datapacks, which could make this revised core a bit underwhelming. The way I see it, we’ve already received the intended replacement for Parasite in Cutlery, but we’ll still look for a replacement of sorts for Account Siphon. (Maybe a new version isn’t in blue’s future, and we’ll see them take on a less bursty econ denial game instead.) Even when the power cards were removed in BB45, leaving the less powerful options, it still shook things up nonetheless. There are still plenty of useful cards in the revised set that I foresee them being worth a few slots, even with upcoming datapacks.

Interesting Thought: Will Faust be more painful for the runner now w/o Wyldside (more fair overall)?

4 Likes

I’m wondering about tempo a lot looking at the cards left. So a corp starts the game and has a preset goal, and they tend to set the tempo. But tools like medium and syphon allowed the runner to rob the corp of their tempo and force tough decisions out of the corp. that’s almost entirely gone.

the corp install-advance-advances? Cut their money down or run R&D three times and suddenly they have to decide if they should score or purge or money up. I don’t see a lot of tools like that in the new core and it makes me feel like corps will have maybe a little too much ability to set the tempo of the game.

I might be wrong (I often am in fact), but this makes me a little nervous.

8 Likes

I’m super bummed that Kit + Yog + Dedicated processor + a flock of Egrets is dead. :cry:

3 Likes

I too will miss the most bullshitty bullshit that has ever or will ever be played

Edit: this sounded meaner than I meant so just to be clear: I love the bullshit you described. Three cheers for yog bullshit.

6 Likes