Core 2.0: Everything Old is New Again

It’s interesting you say that, because I feel like Mopus has long been overshadowed for Runner economy. Short of cheating it out - using up valuable tutor slots, it’s a tempo hit, hogs up memory slots, and can be too click-intensive for many decks.

Once the gold standard for economy, it just seems too slow now.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s really about speed, it’s the fact that it’s infinite.

Consider that basically every other economy card on the runner side has a limit to how many credits it can generate.

It just gets really boring when your decision boils down to “is the corp threatening match point? No? Take 8 pass turn.”

As long as you have Clot to prevent the corp from scoring out of hand, you can just keep taking money and the corp can’t really do anything about it.

2 Likes

This X1000. Knowing that ICE can stick around and money can even out between Runner and Corp is really exciting for me.

I’m associating core 2.0 and rotation as a single thing. The way I see it, we lost some core set bombs and saved a few genesis and spin cards.

Scrubber is going to be crazy required. I think that off the cuff with an untouched biotic and now ToL, FA is a really touch strategy to beat with the severely gimped R&D multiaccess out of orange and blue.

Resources are going to be important in every deck. Scarcity has just moved up in power so far that other currents can’t really compete. No reason not to run it as a lucksack opening draw.

I’m not complaining, just chatting about my first impression of PoRo

1 Like

I guess we won’t really see the true rotation picture until we get the replacements for cards like Jackson and Account Siphon, so hopefully they’re front loaded in the next cycle. As an aggressive player myself however, I’m not sure hope is lost for Anarchs or Criminals. From what I’ve seen, corp econ is weaker, there are fewer low cost ICE options, and HQ pressure is essential. Also I think criminal derez stuff should be pretty good and definitely encouages aggression.

It shouldn’t be possible anymore to just set up as Andy, play your Siphons and then win off of medium. The loss of that late game inevitability (that Anarchs and especially Criminals weren’t supposed to have) should imho force them to play more aggressively. What’s more, if big-rig Shapers are viable, corp decks generally have to be more aggressive and force interaction rather then letting a runner sit back and take 8. Hopefully corps will adapt and this will lead to more interseting games.

6 Likes

I think with Inversificator low strength Code Gates can be even more of a liability though. Instead of you spending three credits to rez an Enigma that they get through for free, they can swap it with your Chiyashi and get past that ICE for two credits (one if last click) instead of spending seven with Paperclip.

Don’t get me wrong, low strength Code Gates have gotten a big boost but if you aren’t smart about it, they can come back to bite you.

4 Likes

the most venerable is ice like yagura which is specific to a server (the dream is hitting crick as Kit and sending it to a remote server). but an ice like Fairchild 2 is still cost 4 even if you inverse it to another server. There are a wide array of options now, the best code gates aren’t Toolbooth and Quandry.

1 Like

I would like to stress this: MOpus is infinite money. A runner with Caldera/Feedback Filter plus MOpus is a nightmare for every good Jinteki employee.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t count on an replacement for Jackson. At least not better than the ones we have already gotten.

Jackson was crazy overpowered for a 0 cost asset. And with Noise gone, he isn’t required as a must have protection.

3 Likes

I played some games yesterday and I realized how powerful 0 str ICE is right now, specially tour guide, this ICE was designed with parasite in mind, and out of shrike and Dai V I don’t see a clear answer to them (And almost no decks want to import any of these two).

2 Likes

I import Shrike if I want a good killer - it’s one of the best. (You also forgot Switchblade.)

Will Sunny see a comeback? Low strength, high sub is very good without parasites, but her breaker suite specializes in dealing with that. UWC was also rescued.

1 Like

Atman at 0

2 Likes
  1. rez/break ratio.
    0’) positionability
    0’‘) deck synergy
    0’‘’) permeability
    0’‘’') rez/punish ratio
  2. totemic ice (like Static vs Quicksand, that I was alone here to defend at the MWLed Parasite moment).

This was not consideration #1 because of MWL. Also, Yog cost 5c, so if they installed this to void your 1c Yagura, throw it away and you still win 4c, which made you cancel a Sure Gamble (incl. clic & card costs). Yagura was still a good card even with Yog out of MWL. But it needs to be your 2x low str cg.

Quicksand, from his current “not so rare” status in competitive decks, will be the new standard. With Corroder out and Paperclip as a fracter star, this is even better (Paperclip = Corroder +2c on third break.).

Quicksand vs Static against Paperclip rejoin at break 5 where Quicksand is better, but staying +2credit positive vs the runner from the start (it was +0 against Corroder, same as Static, but growed.). Punitive barrier, it costed the runner 2c to facecheck it : the token it puts on facecheck and the token it put on comeback. This makes it a very good early ice.

Low str CG are back in the game (I’m looking at you, Aïki : str 3 / sub 3 / rez 1 = yummy) because they won from so many time fighting against Yog, but low str Barriers are also back in the game. Something like Bako (or Static) is just a fine little early ice now Corroder instal costs die with the card : I think the runner will have tight economy at core 2.0 while Vanilla becomes a nasty little piece of something that will cost 5c to the basic “put paperclip because totem” runner in early game.

You’re 100% right, the ban of those cards will renew many ice. This will renew and boost also early corp game. Rush FA is the next corp meta in my opinion : they kill & ban so many runner cards that made trouble to this strategy. On the FA side, they “just” killed Sansan, when you have today dozens of other solutions.

Lots of “competitive” players are not really deckbuilders and lots have totem ideas : those makes them having trouble to evaluate ice. Problem of deckbuilders like me is just they suck in real time :wink:

I don’t think so. There is no reason to run very often in the current cardpool (no medium, no siphon). If the runner remote locks you and just plays indexing / legwork to win, you won’t get as much mileage out of Quicksand as you think. This is compounded by the fact that in a turtle (the breaker that is) meta, it is virtually the same as Vanilla.

5 Likes

Well, on the other hand if rezzing it removes permanently a runner from your server for 3c/clic/card, then this is the best barrier ever :slight_smile:

That means that either it gets “mileage”, either it’s a gtfo ice (in that case, it’s standing somewhere after Crick as the cheapest gtfo ice ever printed) : there is not much place for alternative, and as a corp in an Ash world there’s reasons to be happy with both :wink:

Vanilla is totally a different ice as it’s as 100.00000000% vegan ice. You’re comparing some kind of a small Tollbooth with a Quandary there, their function and synergy is entirelly different.

Then it’s up to the corp player to know where it is to be installed. If I can read my opponent to choose well 2/3 of the time (minimum), then most of people can : if you play vs Criminal, depending of what you understand of their deck, it’s probably a better idea to put on HQ or scoring remote than on Archives, and if that push the runner out of there leaving you with one power counter in the end, I’m fine with that.

The card manipulates the runner’s wishes also. This gives new goals for the runner as they may want to snipe instead of bruteforce and most runner deck can’t adapt to snipe, especially in a world where Syphon, LFs & Kati are banned.

I think you should play it and study its tempo a little longer instead of looking the text and imagining things (maybe that’s just me imagining things too but I tested the card a lot, and my conclusion is I would burn my Statics and never play those again :wink: ).

-edit- maybe you were talking about rush deck, in that case, this card still have good arguments on R&D because of its tempo, because in a rush deck you may loose to r&d locks, but sure, this is not Vanilla.

You’re talking about quicksand, right? Not some other better card with the same name that nobody knows about?

5 Likes

I don’t understand how your evaluation of the change to Core is predicated on Cycle 8. I also question the use of the words “fun” and “iconic” to describe the cards leaving the Core set. Account Siphon might have been iconic for Criminals if it weren’t so heavily splashed into Anarch and Shaper. There was nothing iconic about the card and the fun in playing it was heavily one-sided.

As far as not attending the Worlds event, I am very very certain that there is a long line of players who did not get the chance to buy an entry into Netrunner Worlds that would gladly take your spot now.

Quicksand when Corroder dies to Paperclip in a Temujin world, yes, that’s the card.

First break cost 5c instead of 3c, second and third is break even, then gets better. In a Temujin world, 5 runs costs 15c or 2 runs cost 6c. It is also punitive on bumping unlike most barriers.

Core 2 just removed the risk of facing Corroder and / or Parasite which were the only reasons most people told here not to include it.
It’s a single entity card that needs no support or special synergy, the only thing it’s lacking for a 3c ice is a sub saying “the runner must bring coffee” before the etr.

1 Like

Quicksand is my jam, get out of here with that noise boyyyyyy

1 Like

Do we know what cards will be new art?