Criminal-Gabe Deck with Humanity's Shadow Updates

How has everyone updated their Gabe decks after the release of Humanity’s Shadow? My current build is:

Total Cards: (45)
Event (26)
Account Siphon x3
Emergency Shutdown x3
Forged Activation Orders x2
Inside Job x3
Special Order x3
Stimhack x1 ■
Sure Gamble x3
The Maker’s Eye x2 ■■
Quality Time x3 ■
Easy Mark x3

Hardware (5)
Desperado x3
Plascrete Carapace x2

Program (11)
Corroder x3 ■■
Crypsis x2
Femme Fatale x2
Sneakdoor Beta x3
Yog.0 x1 ■

Resource (3)
Armitage Codebusting x3

My build is heavily influenced by [this BGG thread][1] and other comments by Jopejope and Alex (among others). My thoughts on a few cards and their place in a Gabe deck:
• Quality Time: This card is incredible! The amount of clicks I use to draw cards has gone way down, which means more running and more money.

• Easy Mark: This is my “supplemental income card”. Sure, it lacks the punch of Kati Jones, or the annoyance of Compromised Employee, but it is a fine third or fourth click after drawing five cards. Having Easy Mark enables turns of “Run HQ, Quality Time, Easy Mark, other economy card. I’ll discard a redundant Sneakdoor and pass the turn with 5 good cards and a bunch of money”. Your abilty to install Corroder or Sneakdoor and make runs the Corporation thought you couldn’t afford makes the deck more “agile” and gives you an edge that Compromised Employee or Kati Jones do not.

o No Kati Jones: I love Kati, but being forced to worry about tags was to annoying.

o No Compromised Employee: I’ve never been impressed with this card. How often is it better than Easy Mark? How often is it better than Easy Mark if played after turn 3?

• Maker’s Eye x2: I like having access to this card, but am usually interested in playing it zero to one times per game. 2 copies plus the Quality times makes that pretty reliable. My local meta got very Snare heavy for a moment (just before Humanity’s Shadow), which led me to go from 3 copies to 1. After the adjustments to fit Quality Time and a third Corroder I had the room and influence for 2 Eye’s; I haven’t missed the third copy.

• No Déjà Vu: It makes me a little sad not to be able to use the same Account Siphon a second time. I miss having Déjà Vu, but I think 2 credits, plus a card and a click, is too much for the effect in this deck. However, if I was in a meta with more Neural Katanas and Hokusai Grids I would try to fit a Déjà Vu back into the deck.

• Sneakdoor Beta x3: Now that I have Easy Mark to help pay for the install, I’m even happier to see Sneakdoor in my opening 5. You can Easy Mark, install Desparado, Install Sneakdoor, sneak through Archives and be down 1 credit from where you started. When you spread the Corp across all 3 centrals it becomes very likely that they won’t have enough hard-ETR ICE to stop you everywhere. See the linked post for a good discussion of why Sneaks causes NO memory problems.

• Corroder x3: Read the jopejope post linked above and be convinced. 3 copies makes for a lot of openings like this; facecheck HQ and hit Ice Wall, facecheck R&D and make them spend more money, Install Corroder, Run HQ.

• Special Order x3: Three copies means you’ll often end the game with a Special Order in your hand. Great! You probably won that game, right? I’d rather have “too many” tutors than too many copies of Crypsis and Femme.

I’ve played this in a small tournament and a regional to a combined record of 5 wins and 3 losses. (Not very good, but neither am I) I feel like the only ways to lose are; lack of aggression, stupid mistakes, bad luck for you combined with good luck for the corporation. As long as you make them waste their clicks, credits and cards protecting ALL the servers, the corporation can never execute their game plan. After adding Quality Time and Easy Mark the deck becomes much more click-efficient; less clicks for cards and creds equals more clicks for smashing faces.

Future Proof will be here to shake up the metagame any minute, but I think it’s still fun and interesting to discuss how Humanity’s Shadow has changed the Gabe deck. Once Future Proof is released, I’m interested in trying a version of Gabe that is more resource heavy; Kati Jones, Mr. Li and Crash Space? We’ll see.

(some edits for clarity)
[1]: So Cal Regionals 1st place runner deck | Android: Netrunner

1 Like

Sweet deck, I’ve only played against your pre-quality time version, and you definitely take tons of draws, so pretty solid upgrade.

Even in this current game environment I think Compromised employee is viable. It’s one of those cards that you can’t play as a 1 of, you either run 3 or none. If you Install 1 the first turn and face check a viper you’ve already made your money back.

I think easy mark is the superior choice, but only because you are playing quality time.

Some cards I think you will miss while playing this deck are E3 and infiltrate. I also think you can cut 1 special order safely.

I don’t know about you, but when I play gabe, every special order after the first one I use are typically dead draws.

I like the quality times a lot. Three corroder is totally the way to go for the reasons JopeJope mentioned. I think his Criminal deck was the prototypical good Criminal deck before Humanity’s shadow.

No Kati is rough, but it makes sense considering this deck really wants to go all in on tags and not care. I would say everything looks pretty reasonable.

I’m still running Jopejope’s deck with a Xanadu in place of 1 Maker’s Eye and 1 Kati Jones for a Plascrete. I played with 3 Easy Marks instead of Compromised and won a tourney but looking at my meta (plenty of trace ice), I’m inclined to go back to CEs.

Would love to stuff HQ interface in there but the deck is really strong as it is. I’m planning to try out something different though:

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (19)
Account Siphon (Core #18) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x3
Special Order (Core #22) x2
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Vamp (Trace Amount #21) x2 ■■
Diesel (Core #34) x3 ■■
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus #43) x3

Hardware (7)
Desperado (Core #24) x3
HQ Interface (Humanity’s Shadow #85) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2

Program (11)
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x3
Crypsis (Core #51) x2
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ■■
Ninja (Core #27) x1

Resource (8)
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount #25) x3
Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow #91) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 9
Criminal: 60
Shaper: 6

Might add a HQ interface if I find it useful.

I would love to have access to both (or either) of those effects, but I don’t want to make the space. If Netrunner had a more defined metagame I would absolutely add some hate cards to the deck. I do miss ruining peoples’ Ichis.[quote=“Chill84, post:2, topic:58”]
I also think you can cut 1 special order safely.
I don’t know about you, but when I play gabe, every special order after the first one I use are typically dead draws.
[/quote]
Yeah, I don’t think I play a lot of games where I go through 2 Special Orders. I may just have a case of The Fear, but I like having the third copy to ensure that I can get Corroder + Crypsis/Femme online in the midgame.
The third Special order is from the days before they allowed me to Draw 5; I might try an E3 (or something) in its place if I get a few matches in before the next regional.[quote=“onetonmee, post:4, topic:58”]
…HQ interface…
[/quote]

I’ll admit I’ve never played with Interface (outside of a really bad RepliKate deck), but it seems like a 4 credit do-nothing to me. The marginal benefit of the second access seems very low. If I’m investing 4 credits, a card and an install I want to be progressing my game plan. Give me another expensive card with Sneakdoor-like impact on the game and I’ll find a place for it.