Data & Destiny Spoilers

That’s perhaps true, but I also wouldn’t call the deck jank. I may have gotten a slight edge in that people were anticipating PPVP Kate and got a control deck instead, but I think the record speaks for itself to a degree. I have beaten many, many people over the last few months with this deck, and at high levels of competitive play.

This is a similar record to what I’ve managed with Andysucker recently (24 - 6) over the same sort of period, and that’s another deck that is widely considered to be a little away from the peak.

3 Likes

Need to know the Netrunner credentials of the source… “random person” doesn’t necessarily fill me with confidence in their ability to build an pilot a solid deck. The community will figure her out pretty quickly I’m sure. Personally, I’m fairly sure she’s in the strongest position of the three newcomers for the simple reason that her obvious drip economy cards are neutral and she has in-faction breakers, so her influence is a lot more flexible than the other two. She can really go to town on packing strong support cards, whereas Apex and Adam basically have to import a rig and economy package of some kind before considering extras.

Also, the meta will make a massive difference to how viable Sunny is. In a trace-heavy meta the extra link will be a significant consideration. You can’t rely on the playtest team to have developed a meta as sophisticated as the rest of the world will.

Edit: I’ve seen some outrageous Chaos Theory Au Revoir / Snitch economy in the past. Sunny can arguably do that even better because of her additional MU.

1 Like

Andy sucker isn’t exactly at its peak, but it wouldn’t be considered Jank either. I genuinely believe that control-style shapers–what I’ve dubbed Congress–is as strong of an archetype as prepaid Kate has been. It’s true that I didn’t win nationals with it, but that was never really in the cards for me no matter what deck I brought. I’m a solid player, but not the best player in the country. Still, placing 20th isn’t nothing, and consistently winning with the deck should say something.

1 Like

yo andy been chillin at the earthrise hotel bar for a minute now
she ain’t stressin

3 Likes

I’d largely rate congress fairly similarly to where I’d rate Andysucker - not the best deck around, but possibly the best choice for an individual if they happen to really like the style of play.

Can we move the Kate-specific discussion to the appropriate thread? And indeed, I’d say we separate into a PPVP thread and a general Shaper Control thread so that R&D lock decks aren’t lost in 100 posts of insults/ad hominems.

5 Likes

Sure. But I do think it was relevant. Perhaps my own personal defense became too personal, but whether drip economy decks work at all is an important point when deciding whether it’ll work in Sunny.

I certainly think it will, though I’m not convinced it’ll work as well in Sunny as it will in shaper. I hope I’m wrong though. There doesn’t seem to be much else to do out of Sunny.

This is the basis of something I’m trying in Geist. It’s fun so far, and starting off with 2 link could potentially make it better. Not sure about the card size, loss of Geist’s draw, and the huge amount of influence it would require though.

The Apex I know from Shadowrun Dragonfall (also an AI with a lot of similarities). It looks quite similar on the grand scale and Apex in ANR will certainly remind me of this most if not all the time.

2 Likes

Guys, stay on topic, @bblum gave a mod warning, I’ll do it again.

4 Likes

So I’m kind of upset at spark agency. Ad blitz in particular. If you don’t take a credit away from the runner with every rezzed ad, then what is the point really? If you use this to rez all of your trashed launch campaigns, pad campaigns in hand and an Adonis, the runner loses 1 credit, you spend 1 credit on ad blitz for each card, spend the rez cost, then the runner trashes the most valuable ones unless you can adequately protect them. Every advertisement rez taking a credit seems more reasonable and useful, and rebranding team would be great to have your encryption protocols do more. But it’s not, and now we wait to see just how good it can be. Which, I don’t think will be super much, a first turn double sure gamble would just take the fuel out of the fire

2 Likes

Apex sounds like something straight out of Peter Watts’ Maelstrom.

Arpanet.

Internet.

The Net. Not such an arrogant label, back when one was all they had.

The term cyberspace lasted a bit longer— but space implies great empty vistas, a luminous galaxy of icons and avatars, a hallucinogenic dreamworld in 48-bit color. No sense of the meatgrinder in cyberspace. No hint of pestilence or predation, creatures with split-second lifespans tearing endlessly at each others’ throats. Cyberspace was a wistful fantasy-word, like hobbit or biodiversity, by the time Achilles Desjardins came onto the scene.

Onion and metabase were more current. New layers were forever being laid atop the old, each free—for a while—from the congestion and static that saturated its predecessors. Orders of magnitude accrued with each generation: more speed, more storage, more power. Information raced down conduits of fiberop, of rotazane, of quantum stuff so sheer its very existence was in doubt. Every decade saw a new backbone grafted onto the beast; then every few years. Every few months. The endless ascent of power and economy proceeded apace, not as steep a climb as during the fabled days of Moore, but steep enough.

And coming up from behind, racing after the expanding frontier, ran the progeny of laws much older than Moore’s.

It’s the pattern that matters, you see. Not the choice of building materials. Life is information, shaped by natural selection. Carbon’s just fashion, nucleic acids mere optional accessories. Electrons can do all that stuff, if they’re coded the right way.

It’s all just Pattern.

And so viruses begat filters; filters begat polymorphic counteragents; polymorphic counteragents begat an arms race. Not to mention the worms and the 'bots and the single-minded autonomous datahounds—so essential for legitimate commerce, so vital to the well-being of every institution, but so needy, so demanding of access to protected memory. And way over there in left field, the Artificial Life geeks were busy with their Core Wars and their Tierra models and their genetic algorithms. It was only a matter of time before everyone got tired of endlessly reprogramming their minions against each other. Why not just build in some genes, a random number generator or two for variation, and let natural selection do the work?

The problem with natural selection, of course, is that it changes things.

The problem with natural selection in networks is that things change fast.

By the time Achilles Desjardins became a 'lawbreaker, Onion was a name in decline. One look inside would tell you why. If you could watch the fornication and predation and speciation without going grand mal from the rate-of-change, you knew there was only one word that really fit: Maelstrom.

Of course, people still went there all the time. What else could they do? Civilization’s central nervous system had been living inside a Gordian knot for over a century. No one was going to pull the plug over a case of pinworms.

9 Likes

aand added to the list!

i think Rebranding Team was a poor attempt at getting more longevity out of Spark Agency’s ability. it’s possible SA originally worked every time until that agenda was designed, which left Media Blitz a little lacking. that said, it’s probably pretty good for HB to reset a couple of Adonis/Eve (even a few isn’t a terrible investment)
it’s also a good way to get Popup windows and Special Offers back out (and they’re rezzed). the mindgames of putting SO in front of something unrezzed sounds kind of cool.

i like SA though. i’ll have to see how it is once the cards are out, but i don’t think it’s too bad. not sure if/how many MB i’ll run, and i’m still not sold on Rebranding Team

and all of that said, BABW would destroy so many housing communities for a similar agenda that turned all operations into transactions.

2 Likes

I like this in a @gumOnShoe-style all Turtlebacks deck…

I’ve yet to wrap my head around all the timing involved. If I can’t rez the card with Ad Blitz can I still install? What if installing it and gaining money from Turtlebacks is enough that I can rez?

2 Likes

Here you go:

Keep in mind, Maelstrom is a sequel to Starfish.

3 Likes

Oh crap, turtlebacks, that would mitigate the cost. I don’t think ad blitz is necessarily terrible, but I also didn’t notice much economy in the box, and market research isn’t an ad, I don’t think it’d be great in nbn. You’re right about HB though I think, especially with Breaker Bay grid. You know what I’d like to see? Rebranding team to make snares and shocks advertisements and an nbn shell game based on some absurd never advance/flatline threat

1 Like

Corp cards that install multiple things do so one at a time. Nested triggers would cause you to potentially resolve effects, mid effect. So, what you could do is pay X, which you must do upfront:

• (X=-1) install and rez (i&r) tutlebacks - 2 [-3 creds]
  • (X=-2) i&r turtlebacks -2+1 [-5 creds]
  • (X=-3) i&r turtlebacks -2+2 [-6 creds]
  • (X=-4) i&r marked accounts +3 [-4 creds]
  • (X=-5) i&r marked accounts +3 [-2 creds]
  • (X=-6) i&r marked accounts +3 [0 net]

At this point, anything you install would give you some profit, which we’d assume would have good returns in the future as you now have a ton of stuff installed. At the very worst, a card like this gives you some game vs apocalypse.

1 Like

What happens if I Ad Blitz an Adonis and an Eve when I’m on 4 creds, though? Can I not do it at all, or do it but only rez the Adonis?

Note that Ad Blitz doesn’t seem to combo with the Rebranding agenda as your assets won’t be Advertisements in Achives/HQ, I think.