It is not the best way to play netrunner. But, let’s say you have the goal of playing against better players for some reason or another. A high variable deck may get you higher in the tables so that you have the opportunity to see how those players play and perhaps learn something for the next time you go to a tournament. It may also encourage players to think you are better/worse than you are, which may also color how they treat you the next time you meet at a tournament.
Perfect play^TM and Perfect decks^TM are better for the long haul and for the win. But if you’re just in it for the ride/the fun/the experience high variability might be better for you.
What’s more, high variable decks and play can lead you to some really amazing decks if you have the experience and knowledge to make them consistant. If a deck “goes off” in 40% of your matches, but you can play it in the other 60% you may be at a better advantage than playing a deck where you must play it 100% of the time.
In this case Noise is a perfect example. It’s a highly variable deck that can “luck” wins, but still provides you a method for playing normally and winning that way. Recognizing that the deck will just win a portion of the time, may make it more desirable. You’ll spend less brain energy over the course of the day and be able to use on that percentage of games where you need it. Your rounds may go quicker too. Same reasoning can go with NEH; and I think to a point RP or HB FA. I’d actually argue most great corp decks have that variability built into them with enough redundancy for the other games where they must resort to plan B.
High Variability plays
NEH: Astro Train
RP: Nisei Chain + Psi wins
Weyland: Early scorch win
There’s almost always 2-3 paths to victory, but the Titan deck posted here takes it to an extreme. It probably doesn’t have a 2nd mode to win reliably. Instead it has two high variance plays: Atlas Chain & Government Shutdown. And those two plays are a lot more strait forward than managing an ABT or a Nisei token/Psi game. They’re also a bit less interruptible.
I wouldn’t encourage anyone to play this way, but if you’re that guy whose not winning a lot and just wants a chance to luck into it and have that win thrill, maybe its the right option for you.