Does TWIY* have a place in the game now that NEH is out?

does anyone else find that Midseasons is becoming harder and harder to land reliably? many runners can race your economy nowadays. maybe you’ll catch a slim Quetzal occasionally, but it’s tough to match Criminal and PP Shaper to land more than 4 tags, which aren’t enough to guarantee tag-me

Played some league games tonight and was very impressed with TWIY. It’s much better with Fast Track.

2 Likes

is Jackson mostly for draw here? or to shuffle back in economy/SanSan

I’ve been getting back into Making News Midseasons recently, and I find that you have to really play the slow game with that kind of deck. It helps that as soon as they see a Data Raven runners tend to assume you’re playing Scorch (I’m not), so they dodge all the tags and go hunting for Plascretes, or waste clicks drawing up. Between Manhunt, Ravens, Pop-Ups, Pups, Elis, and Closed Accounts/resource trashing if they float the tags, it is possible to grind down strong Shaper and Criminal econ. But if they get multiaccess going early you’ll have to be fairly lucky to get to that stage.

Speaking of Manhunt, it is bonkers in MN. You wanna run, huh? Ok that’s 4 creds, or a click and 2, on top of whatever else you paid to get in. It’s horrifyingly beautiful.

1 Like

You could try with 3rd BL but our playgroup experience suggests that it’s not worth the huge consistency 3x GLC (in 40 card deck!) provides. You usually have enough FA tricks available, what you lack is Astros and money.

On the other hand, Fast Track should be definitely played here (the list is from pre-H&P testing). Not sure what to cut for it, however. Deck is extremely tight.

Maybe try to eschew remote completely and go -3 GLC -1 Roto -3 SanSan +1 Jackson +1 Biotic +2 Fast Track +1 Grim +2 money_cards_which_cost_0_influence. I have my doubts over Restructure, but one could test with it. Or go bananas and play 2x Targeted Marketing.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I like Targeted Marketing. Siphon really is the main thing that used to hose this deck before. Marketing it should be very amusing.

Come on, it’s Jesus. He does everything, and he does it better than you or me or anyone.

I’m not sure that that game was won by the TWIY pilot. The anarch runner is discarding imps while he knows there’s a san-san in play; and as far as I’m concerned that’s such a crucial mistake that the TWIY player didn’t have to play at the top of her game. Its far more of a skill tester when that SanSan isn’t in play. Secondly, archives was open the entire time and we’d seen at least two deja vu and a parasite there. Parasite should have been placed on draco to give mimic the chance to break it immediately or to just play the blow ice up game with data suckers. I believe there was a yog in hand?

TWIY is horrible against anarch precisely because they can’t really recover from the melt & dig. I honesty feel like the player who was red failed to capitalize on his opportunities, and so I don’t really feel like the NBN player did a whole bunch to win that game.

4 Likes

just started playing this list on OCTGN last night. so far 3-1. it is really fun. and I know I can hop on with it and be done in 20 minutes or less. my leela game was definitely less than 10 minutes.

Game 1: win to Leela (7-4)
Game 2: loss to Andy (5-8)
Game 3: win to Whizzard (8-6)
Game 4: win to Exile (7-2)

whizzard got a medium out early then found yog, pounded thru my quandary/pop/pop rnd. didnt see a single barrier that game but managed the win. andy got passport breach double siphon turn 1 :smile:

2 Likes

looking ahead, it seem that FF has finally committed to making FA roadblocks a thing; as that archetype weakens, I think it’ll make room for the already-strong-but-underplayed-because-FA-is-better “tagstorm” archetype. It varies from deck to deck, but the general idea is to bide your time and get the runner buried in tags so you can psycho out 4-5 point beales or wipe their table with info overload, or… well, do something new with cards that haven’t come out yet.

Anyways, back on topic: I think TWIY has a role here there; where extra draws might not be as important as finding and holding combo peices until the time is right.

TLDR: the broken cards in NBN aren’t the IDs; NEH just happens to exploit them the best. If new cards and meta shifts weaken the SanSan-Astro-Biotic trifecta, I think TWIY is too good to not see a resurgence.

Truth is, NEH draw gets you through the extra 5 cards you need in your deck pretty soon into a normal game. I don’t think ‘consistency’ is hugely in favour of TWIY. It’s not too dissimilar to when people compare Silhouette to Andy. More cards is typically better than slightly higher quality cards. I’m not sure a 6 card hand is a huge ability.

Midseasons relies on the corp being richer than the runner when the runner steals. I can’t think of a better way to do that than a huge pile of asset economy. The extra influence is just gravy, but its a substantial amount of influence.

1 Like

As the game progresses longer and longer, NEH will catch up to TWIY in terms of consistency, but early on, and especially if you are running at or close to the 40 card minimum, you are more likely to see any given card. This is especially apparent during your opening draw, where you are almost 6% more likely to see a card you have 3-of in a 40 card TWIY than a 49 card NEH.

I view it like this…with NEH, you’re going to eventually end up drawing most everything you need at some point. With TWIY, you are more likely to already have it, so you can plan your game around “I have both a Biotic and Sansan in hand,” as opposed to “I’ll eventually draw them.”

1 Like

it should be noted that you NEH forces you to play remotes to reap its benefits. with this TWIY deck I only ever have 1 remote, for a SanSan and cycle Jacksons thru. some games I have never even used SanSan. so in those cases, TWIY is strictly better than NEH. now, the question is whether this version of NBN FA is better than NEH Fastro. the answer to that right now is probably not.

i also really like playing 40 and not 44

I always cried a little on the inside when other players where playing 44 cards in TWIY, just cut your jacksons(when noise wasn’t such a big thing), and win even faster!

But as people have pointed out, NEH gets you to the cards you need faster. Plus, although the hand-size does help in a way with celeb gift, I think the greater influence has a bigger impact, 3x celeb gift is half of TWIY’s influence.

I think there’s a case to be made that NEH’s ability gets you into trouble in some matchups. There are (rare) moments where even NBN fast advance wants the pace of the game to be slower.

3 Likes

Really loving this 40-card TWIY deck because of how quickly (and effectively!) I can crank through OCTGN games:

Speed (40 cards)

NBN: The World Is Yours*

Agenda (10)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
2 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale

Asset (1)
1 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (14)
2 Biotic Labor ••••• •••
2 Fast Track
3 Green Level Clearance •••
3 Hedge Fund
2 Shipment from SanSan
2 Sweeps Week

Barrier (4)
2 Paper Wall
2 Wraparound

Code Gate (4)
1 Pop-up Window
3 Quandary

Sentry (3)
2 Guard
1 Rototurret

ICE (1)
1 Mother Goddess

Built with [URL=http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/CfaTXszGmCC6J9poa]http://netrunner.meteor.com/[/URL]

5 Likes

yep very similar to the list above which I am running. the Mother Goddess is a strange include at first glance. what’s the thinking there? haven’t slotted Fast Track yet, want to play at least ten games with the list before I change it, but there are definitely times where I wished I had it. I am also considering adding a couple Anonymous Tip and going to 42 cards, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea

I assume Mother Goddess is to rush an early Astro out. With no other ICE rezzed the runner would need an AI to break.

Or SanSan, or a hand full of agendas, etc.

Or an Inside Job, but yeah, I assume it’s to keep them out of whatever server you don’t want them getting into in the early game.