E. Kim Appreciation Thread

Is this thread really devolving into people telling stories about the times they beat Ed Kim

8 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a fair characterization of my posts. Iā€™ll duck out of this thread for a while though. I really just wanted to play devilā€™s advocate to help refine what makes Kim good; meaning have the community articulate the increased value of trashing ops.

SEA Source isnā€™t a Grey Ops/Black Ops card and you canā€™t trigger Tallie off of that.

Edit: Also, massive thread necromancy, my bad guys.

1 Like

However you could totally Record Reconstructor a Subliminal Messaging to the top of their deck every turn with Tallie for someā€¦ kind of a thing.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s strange - the lesser threat on remotes is what I would say makes him have to be more aggressive than Whizzard.

Fair, but thatā€™s a problem for any deck to cope with. Also, just a sundew isnā€™t actually enough econ (in my experience) because you need to clear that server out for scoring, or build a separate scoring server - which takes so much time. Denying RP some money is still relevant, even though it might not look it. If you still need the same number of credits, then trashing the Gift bought Kim an extra 2-3 turns - no small amount.

Part of why I like SMC so much - although it basicly means youā€™re off plan inject.

On a more broad note, Iā€™m of the opinion that you canā€™t get the fullest out of aggressive decks in general without some calculated risk. If you never take damage from Cortex Lock versus RP, youā€™re likely being to cautious (I mean, if they only ever draw it on turn 12 or something, thatā€™sā€™ different).

1 Like

I wanted to put down my conclusions about Eddie, despite probably not adding much new to the discussion.

1 Link: There are no link-related cards that combo well with Eddieā€™s ability. No matter what one thinks about MemStrips, theyā€™re still better than ZU+Dyson. Andromeda or Iain can experiment with Underworld Contacts, but they have no synergy for Kim. So all the link does is be the usual slight tax on traces.

HQ multi-access: Kimā€™s ability works well enough on its own that you shouldnā€™t go out of your way to include cards you wouldnā€™t use otherwise. Nerve Agent (+memory!) is a no-go, as is HQ interface. Legwork gets extra utility for disrupting combos, so two of them is a strong consideration. SOT also gets extra value with them. If you have an Imp, even a single access on HQ is guaranteed to disrupt the corp, no matter which type of card you see.

Scrubber: Scrubber is a good economy card for Kim. The dilemma is that if the meta is in a place that warrants two Scrubbers, you may be better off playing Whizzard in the first place.

Imp: Thereā€™s some overlap, but that only means your Imps can last longer. 2 is still the right call.

R&D multi-access: This is your route to victory. You want Medium early, and you want to make repeated runs at R&D. Iā€™m never happy playing with 1MU consoles in Anarch, but Desperado is a strong consideration. Eddie might get some solid use out of recurring credits; Cyberfeeders or even Fractal Generators for your Corroder could work. Otherwise, you definitely want the usual Anarch ice destruction.

The general consensus seems to be that Eddie is not the strongest Anarch, but he seems to be the one who needs the least specialized deck-building, along with Whizzard. I like him for being a good ID to teach the Anarch play-style.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Now, I will disagree with some of this :stuck_out_tongue:

My Ed-playing experience makes me go completely nuts about this entire paragraph.

• no HQ multiaccess is a bad idea, because eventually theyā€™ll hold a piece of ICE thatā€™s useless to install (particularly common with Code Gates if youā€™re running Yog, but also other pieces), and you will be hitting it repeatedly. Imping it makes zero sense (even if you play Imps in the first place), so multi-access is the preferred solution
    • Nerve Agent is very good, even if you have to trash it eventually. Just dropping it and getting into hand twice (something you would often want to do, especially if you hit an Op on the first run) creates a strong persistent threat, necessitating a virus purge or heavy HQ Icing
    • When I played a singleton HQ Interface (I posted a list further upthread), it was totally worth the 2 inf, was never sad to see it, and it was annoying to the point where a couple opponents actually bankrupted themselves with a Taurus just to get rid of the goddamn thing :smiley: Better than NA if youā€™re going Virus-heavy, both for memory reasons and for being un-purgable
    • Legwork is less disruption than HQI for the same amount of influence (and pretty much eats more card slots, because might not be playing SOT otherwise)

First-turn RnD Tollbooth is still Anarchā€™s cryptonite, I feel.

(agreed on the topics of Link, Scrubber and RnD, not playing Imp personally - my ID is my flatline prevention, and the rest of the deck is there to handle the other things I could want to Imp away)

1 Like

Amen on the Nerve Agent. It can really alter the narrative of the game when you get it down early vs. a weakly defended HQ

1 Like

Figures that I might stir something up. But thanks for the feedback, itā€™s been a while that Eddie has been talked about. I see your point about HQ. Iā€™m still not happy with NA. I used to play it with Demolition Run in Whizzard a while ago, and it was awesome. Itā€™s fantastic when it works, but as usual, I have problems including a card that isnā€™t economy or draw, or gets me past ice in the first place. And I donā€™t like having to install over it when I need MU either. Maybe Iā€™ll come around, Iā€™ll not write it off just yet.

I like your point about the single HQ interface; in a way, it reinforces my point that Kimā€™s ability is strong enough on its own; with only a single copy, youā€™ll see it late or not at all in many games, yet you apparently
donā€™t miss it in those. But I also can get behind it being awesome when you do see it, without having any of the drawbacks NA has. I can definitely see both a 1 HQI Ed build, and a 2 Legwork Ed build. Legwork isnā€™t just disruption; you still use it for its normal purpose of harvesting an agenda crop. But if Iā€™ve just taken an agenda off of a butcher shop NEH, Iā€™d much rather play Legwork than have an HQI buried in my deck somewhere.

I agree with people who like HQ multi-access in Kim. Itā€™s especially useful when playing against kill or combo decks because the relevant cards tend to pile up in HQ.

I really like Djinn in my Kim decks, but apparently Iā€™m the only person who is willing to spend 1 click and 1 click to tutor up a Nerve Agent or Medium (or anything, really) depending on which server looks weakest. If Iā€™m not playing with Djinn, I usually have 2 Medium and 1 Nerve Agent.

Djinn is just too finicky. The reason Memstrips gets used in the same slot is because it isnā€™t install order dependent, and provides MU for parasites.

2 Likes

To add to this I believe part of Kim weā€™re pushing is draw and play. SO is already a finicky problem solver weā€™re using because this hurdle is too important not to jump, but when disruption comes naturally making the most of it seems to be best case.

It does?

Also, I would run 2-3 djinn if at all just to draw it. If your econ game is strong, its great for getting to critical mass sooner. Iā€™d put 3 in 100% of all rara noise builds.

You went and became one with the MemStrips (your profile pic). Itā€™s courage like this that will help other MemStrippers to come out from the shadows and be proud of themselves, instead of living in fear of scorn and mockery.

3 Likes

As Iā€™ve said before,

Itā€™d be great if we could form a Memstrip Illuminati somewhere. All we have to do then is go to the Worlds '15 and wear Memstrips on our T-shirts, make custom Memstrip sleeves. If Dan doesnā€™t go crazy, then I donā€™t know whatā€¦

5 Likes

Someone has to blaze these trails, and it canā€™t just be @hhooo

4 Likes

Memstrips pride parades, here we comeā€¦

1 Like

Am i just being crazy or could this shell work just as well with Kim? Its VERY similar to the Kim build i was playing for awhile, heavy on resources and fixed breakers. Was great for Blue Sun matchups where i could match them for econ, perhaps Whizzard is stronger against RP in this case though due to reliance on drip econ from Assets?
L4J (Looking for job) - Madison, WI Regional 2nd place Ā· NetrunnerDB

Main issue is that Kim has to find room for Scrubbers and/or Imp, to keep up with the asset spam decks. After a lot of tinkering with Kim in the past few weeks, I do share the sentiment that Whizzard is better positioned in todayā€™s metaā€¦

2 Likes

Sadly, probably true. Damn you stumpy i really want you to work!!

2 Likes