Fester-Darwin

If you take out Inject, you have no draw (Express Delivery sort of works) and there’s very little to Deja Vu. A single Parasite, and Imps? You need more (better) targets for Deja Vu to be worth including.

1 Like

Diesel is not card draw?

Oh, I missed the two Diesel.

How about turning the Express Deliveries into a third Diesel? Doing that and taking out inject should leave you with 1 influence and 3 card spots, unless I suck at math. 1 of those can be another Express Delivery (I’d rather have 3 Diesel and 1 Express than two of each) and two of whatever…maybe 1 more medium and nerve agent? Or more parasites.

Edit: Maybe definitely more parasites. No way to deal with Swordsman anymore, right?

1 Like

Would you consider swapping identities with Quetzal? Her ability meshes nicely with E3 which you have in there anyway, and between that and D4V1d, you don’t have to worry about BS OAI shenanigans ever. Sure you get less money for trashing, but you also need to use Darwin and D4Vid less so you can use your Cyberfeeder credits more effectively. It seems like it would be nice to have E3 pull triple duty between Quetzal, Darwin, and D4Vid.

Also, you have no scorch protection, which is fine but I would recommend slotting in a Utopia Shard. Uses for this Shard:

• If they are going to Sea/Scorch fire it off after the Sea Source/mid seasons to try to take out a scorch
  • if PE is going to 3x Neural EMP, fire it off after the first one
  • if PE showed you a hand of Snares, Fetals and Ronins with a Celebrity Gift, toss those babies in the garbage
  • if NEH Fast Tracks an Astro fire it off to try to get rid of that turd
  • if you know the Corp is holding agendas but you cannot get to them after a purge
  • if you know the Corp is holding agendas, you can only see three cards with Nerve Agent and have money for one run, you can see the whole hand.

This is just off the top of my head. There are most likely dozens more. Make sure to take out Jackson before trying any agenda stealing with Utopia though, but you should be running/trashing Jackson anyway with any runner deck. If you have one spare influence, Utopia Shard should be at the top of your list.

EDIT: Another glaring problem with the current list is Lotus Field. They Purge, you get a free turn but at what cost? Whatever server they installed Lotus on is inaccessible for at a minimum of one turn if you have a Surge, but the rest of the time it will be three turns. Those three turns are one or two free agendas for the corp if they Lotused their remote. You could pressure other servers, but your Surges can only get you so far.

At this point, the seemingly obvious solution is Atman, but it is slow and expensive. While it is similarly slow and expensive, I am partial to Yog + PT, simply because it helps get through everything at the same cost as a boosted Atman. Worst case scenario, a PT on Darwin is never wasted. A faster but expensive long term solution is a few Zu.13 Keymasters that you only use on Lotus Field.

Otherwise, you can just hope for no Lotus Fields to appear and redouble your efforts elsewhere, but there is high risk there as you are without DS tokens.

1 Like

This is why breeding grounds makes such a huge difference (esp with scrubbed).

Darwin incs 1 by itself. Each breeding ground increments as well, at the cost of a click. So 2 clicks plus a surge will get you to 5.

1 Like

Quetz also handles Wraparounds without having to use Datasuckers or D4V1D tokens.

Whizzard is really good right now though, with the glut of RP and asset based NEH.

2 Likes

As of right now I want to play Wiz. I might look into swapping ID’s later.

Maybe the account siphon can become two personal touches to help buff up that Darwin.

Version 3 (?)- I realized account siphon was clearly just a good card I wanted to slot in and not a card that helped further the deck. Took that out and put in two personal touches to stack onto Darwin to help against purges. Slotted in a single mimic as well for those matchups (mostly Jinteki) where there are either A) a ton of low strength sentries and B) where I am afraid of swordsman.

Also wanted to try a spinal modem for the recurring credits as well as to have an extra memory for my other programs in case Djinn doesn’t come up.

Will do some testing of this list in the next day or so.

Trash all the things

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (10)
3x Diesel (Core Set) ••••• •
1x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit) •
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (8)
2x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
2x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ••••
2x Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead)
2x The Personal Touch (Core Set) ••••

Resource (8)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)

Icebreaker (4)
3x Darwin (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (15)
3x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
2x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
2x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

1 Like

I really like this version. The only thing I would want to see is a third Parasite, but that’s just preference. Hope it works well!

I know it isn’t ideal for many reasons. But I’m surprised that knight doesn’t fit here. I think it’s a good safety valve.

I might consider snitches before personal touch. I think its better to preserve your darwin and not lose it to grim/swordsman/archer than to have +1 strength after a purge. It will force them to purge more often, and you can save your economy, especially against Jinteki ICE you would rather not pay 10 to a komainu, especially if you could just parasite it. I find it pretty niche that personal touch will be making the difference in many cases, especially with surge.

EDIT: clone chip might also be better than snitch.

This is really cool, Darwin-anarch deck is one of my favourites to play, and you seem to be working through the same issues I was finding. It’s interesting that you can pretty much swap the id between Quetzal, Whizzard, or maybe even Reina.

I agree with false_idol in that I rarely find Darwin’s strength to be the problem, but having enough credits to break things can be a major headache especially if you aren’t setup yet. In my most recent build, I’ve actually found this so much the case that I dropped datasucker and instead am running 3 knights, so I am always prepared to deal with lotus field or wraparound, even early game. It really sucks having to wait for parasite to do its magic sometimes, but knight has been essential in several games already.

Snitch is a really interesting idea, I hadn’t thought of that, although if you just expose it, then it isn’t rezzed for parasite? Still only spending money on runs you care about could help.

After seeing this thread linked elsewhere I decided to post some updates:

I have switched to Queztal, just helps in general. This is the current list:
Trash all the things

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (12)
3x Diesel (Core Set) ••••• •
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)

Hardware (9)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)

Resource (9)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (4)
3x Darwin (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

With this being the idea once O&C comes out:
Trash all the things

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (15)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (9)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)

Resource (6)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (4)
3x Darwin (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Man, Parasites being cut entirely kinda scares me, but if it works for you more power to you. I like the Quetzal change overall, I think, even in the current meta. It looks great! How much have you tested the current version?

I like the look of your updated build, it seems more focused on supporting Darwin which makes sense. I totally agree with the 3 Darwin and 3 Djinn, you really need to get the whale out ASAP.

I too am surprised at zero parasites, it’s true they are kindve useless against some corps, but they are so good against others. What is your game plan against a corp like HB with next ice or RP with Tsurugi or komainu? I’ve always found parasite essential in those match ups.

Diesel makes sense to me too, you really need the extra draw, I guess you could try earth rise now too, maybe free up some influence. I started using inject and duggars for draw power, but the restrictions imposed by those cards end up taking the deck into different directions.

This is the deck I have been playing at my local game nights and will take to tournament this weekend. So far it has performed very well for me. It gets set up and then has a sense of inevitability about it when I can get in anywhere at all.

Mimic is there specially for the sentries you mention. It is not a parasite answer but since I have no real way to tutor them or play them quickly. I think i got spoiled by shaper’s insta-parasite. I never got them when I wanted them and they sat in my hand a bunch so they got cut.

Great, glad to hear you have found success, I’ve been playing builds roughly along these lines for a while too, But have found patchy success, sometimes works really well other times it feels like nothing works.

I find if the whale gets established, there is this state where it is clear you are ahead, and the game comes under your control, but if that doesn’t happen for whatever reason, it’s difficult…

Incubator really makes Darwin a threat, I played against one and was furious at my inability to do anything without playing around fester, or more commonly, losing 4 credits. Card draw seems to be important in decks that just want a simple rig setup, like chaos/crypsis/mopus/vamp denial, or this, maybe diesel and earthrise are good, or quality time and earthrise. Earthrise alone can probably set you back a bit if not played at the right time, but being able to draw on top of that into economy, then your suite seems ridiculous, and really puts pressure on the corp to start doing something.

The cutlery suite is probably going to make this deck bananananananas