Fester-Darwin

The main issue is that it pretty much rolls over to fast advance.

1 Like

Hopefully sansan fixes this, but the time that comes out, will we all be tweaked out trying to play the fastest decks out there?

So I took it to a small 7 man tournament last night (I know not the biggest, but its more than just casual game night) and Quetzal went 2-1 on the night (I went 5-1 on the night running a PE corp for the win). The only loss was to a NEH dedicated response team tag-storm deck that came down to a few random accesses that could have gone either way. I scored 5 points and was searching for the last two.

Notes:
Versus NBN which I originally thought was an auto-loss Darwin is mostly unnecessary since their ice is so porous. Just run and keep the pressure up and there is a chance. Since most of their ETR ice are barriers (wraparound, Eli) until/unless they can find their other ice (enigma and quandary) you can waltz right through it.

Versus RP (a casual game I played after the tournament and lost) oh god E3 implants is important and since both copies were in the bottom 5 cards of my deck I lost that game.

Otherwise once Darwin and David are installed you basically have access to any server you want with enough cash.

I wish Armitage was copies 4-6 of Daily casts. Or that I had room for Magnum Opus, but with no way to find it reliably why bother.

Things I would change:
When Steelskin comes out two of the Diesels I think will become the third Personal Touch and E3. Just for the sake of more consistency. Perhaps after testing I find that the third E3 is unnecessary I will look at something else.

I would like to find space for the cutlery that eats barriers, probably two copies. I think in place of dirty laundry. (Which I did not have in my deck last night I had two suckers and a parasite I think left over from an earlier build but I did not miss the extra cash at any point).

In conclusion: I think this deck is actually quite good, and with the personal touches and surges you mitigate the main weakness, Darwin’s strength. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it did honestly.

I took my list to the Chi-Lo Grudge Match yesterday. Quetzal did fairly well, I went 2-4 with her, but wait stay with me here. Here is what I ran:

Chi-Lo Quetzal

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (12)
3x Diesel (Core Set) ••••• •
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (9)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
2x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ••••
2x Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead)
2x The Personal Touch (Core Set) ••••

Resource (9)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (4)
3x Darwin (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

2 wins: versus HB and an RP. Set up the rig run where you want surges close those scoring windows they thought they had.

4 losses: RP, RP, Weyland, Weyland. The two other RP matches were rough, not seeing e3 soon enough was problematic. The two games versus Weyland though were games were I got to six points and scrambling to find the last one before they found their kill combo. There were plenty of accesses so it could have gone my way very easily. I am very pleased with Quetzal’s performance overall.

Notes and thoughts:
I cannot wait for steelskin.

Nerve Agent always sat in my hand and never saw play, I am going to cut it. I think Imp and Utopia are enough HQ pressure.

I think a second Mimic would help out a BUNCH versus Jinteki matches since they run so many sentries, saving that extra credit versus Darwin adds up.

After my last post the last guy I was playing (Billy) built the deck and tested it out, so after the rounds last night we were talking about what changes to make when O&C hits and settled on this list:

Chi-Lo Post O&C

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (11)
2x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (11)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
3x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ••••• •
2x Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead)
3x The Personal Touch (Core Set) ••••• •

Resource (7)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (5)
3x Darwin (Future Proof)
2x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Magnum Opus (Core Set) ••
1x Medium (Core Set)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

I am honestly not sold on Knifed since it mostly helps with the Blue Sun matchup, which is already really good for Quetzal. I will test them but who knows. One Magnum Opus??? Well Quetzal has the memory, and if you see it that is your econ for the rest of the game, if not you are not relying on it so whatever. It is something to test. Went up on the Personal Touches and the E3 since those are cards you absolutely must see, and an additional mimic as I mentioned above. If I find Knifed to not be worth it two Earthrise Hotels can come in for more drawing power.

Here is a question, what do you folks think of this shell out of Valencia? Do we lose too much early pressure from Quetzal’s ability to make the bad pub worth it?

2 Likes

I would actualy sugest on -3 personal touch +3VBG, and maybe getting rid of a bit of surge, the point is that VBG cuts the downtime after a purge really hard and it combos so much with medium.
VBG+medium means you only need to run R&D once and then click to add counters to it. ex:
run R&D see a card then do something else.
if the corp doesnt purge next turn you click VBG 3 times and run r&d seeing 5 new cards, thats bonkers.
if the corp DID purge then you just lost the money of 1 r&d run.

what do u think? Since you dont have personal touch tutor the probability of seeing it is the same but it has more sinergy even if u lose the Darwin.

for clarification:
for the first PT/VBG you see, after a purge trying to pass lotus field:
PT: u start at 1 str but it will take this +2 turns to get to 4.
VBG: u start at 0 but it will be at 4 next turn.

and VBG is good in multiples since u can always put them on medium.

I am working on a new build that does some of what you talk about. My old build was actually quite successful, it just got hated out by all of the hate against Eater that happened as soon as Order and Chaos dropped.

I am taking this list to game night tonight to see how it works. I took out the personal touches and put in clone chips and virus breeding grounds. I also reworked most of the economy and program suite… its the same idea just a different iteration.

Darwin Quetz

Quetzal: Free Spirit

Event (8)
3x I’ve Had Worse
2x Inject
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
3x e3 Feedback Implants ••••• •
2x Grimoire

Resource (10)
2x Armitage Codebusting
3x Daily Casts
1x Kati Jones
1x Utopia Shard •
3x Virus Breeding Ground

Icebreaker (3)
3x Darwin

Program (16)
3x D4v1d
3x Djinn
1x Hivemind
1x Imp
1x Magnum Opus ••
1x Medium
3x Parasite
3x Progenitor

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Since your playing opus, wouldnt -3CC +2Test Run me better as a way to find it and david?
Are u sure Grimoire is helpful enough? i would think that it wouldnt matter much after a purge anyways and u already have djin taking care of the MU.
And could u please explain to me how THE HELL do u hv money? i would think 1x Kati 1x Opus and 3x Daily Cast wouldnt be NEAR enough money to handle.
Finally, are u sure the Hivemind/Progenitor combo is good enough? it seems more janky stuff (ur rig is basically Darwin+David+E3) hivemind would only slow you down(its maybe good if playing 3xMedium on board but aside that…); i think the slots would be better fitted with economy and HQ pressure(legworks/wanton).

I am sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear that this was an untested build that I was working on. I am not sure how the money situation is, after playing three games tonight money was not really an issue. You did forget sure gambles in your panning of my deck.

No I am not sure grimoire is the right choice, I am trying it out to see. I liked it tonight but the jury is out.

Hivemind allows for some really nice parasite plays and when on progentor with the VBG it helps keep darwin at strength. Along with tokens on any/all the other viruses.

If you don’t like it change it and test it and report back man. I am just posting the builds I have been working on for those who were interested.

1 Like