Fixing Astroscript

That would do it. That would be a huge card vs. these specific decks. Hosted agenda counters are almost universally terrifying too, so it might see some play.

Making Astroscript 4/2 would probably bring it in line with the other agendas, though that is a big nerf stick. It might make NBN pretty weak. The power of a scored Astro is probably not quite as good as a scored Nisei. Though I think it’s as good as any of the other 4/2 agendas.

Sounds interesting, I hope it can do it as a paid ability, because that would incentivize people to play 1 turn kill CI instead of 2-4 turn kill CI - however, if it was so powerful as to be a paid ability, I hope there will be some GOOD counter-play.

Stapling optional bad publicity onto the card (like leverage)makes for shitty counter-play.

I think Astroscripts strength is a feature not a bug. Yes, it is borderline overpowered but:

• NBN would be weak without it.
  • It is a nice card for beginners to see what NBN is about (other than tags).
    If Astroscript was a 4/2 Agenda there would be no NBN fast advance deck.

The Astrotrain alone is not consistent enough to rely on. Of course this will likely change with Fast Track.
Comparing Astroscript with Nisei is kind of pointless, they are so different, and they apply in very different situations.

I think the best way to nerf Astroscript is to give the runner some more control over the speed of the game. That is why I really wished the Source would have been lower influence. The Source cannot be brought into a lot of decks that would otherwise really profit.

I am not a fan of neutral cards with influence.

I’ve been looking up old core set reviews for a league, surprisingly astroscript often wasnt considered the best agenda.Many people preferred Nisei and for single core set decks(2 astro) I’d have to agree. Astroscript is amazing with3/2s but often no more than free economy when you are running 5/3 and 4/2 agendas. Introducing a good 4/2 like NAPD contract should help close the power differential a bit but Astroscript would still be among the first cards I put on a restricted list.

Just a heads-up: this is still happening, I’m mostly just waiting to be done with the Chronos tournaments before I go ahead and spill the sum of my experiences with the archetype.

2 Likes