Foodcoats

At the moment the influence I’m trying is:

1 Caprice
2 Global Food
3 Jackson
2 Eli
2 Architect
1 Tollbooth

Losing 1 caprice is a shame but I value Eli and Architect highly, Eli in particular. I’d honestly sooner cut the Tollbooth than lose those, but the influence above seems to be working out fine. I’m using 1 copy of Markus and although it’s worse than Eli it’s been okay so far. Sometimes it can annoy a runner relying on an atman at 4 to go through eli, forcing them to find their barrier breaker.

I cut NAPD for the weaker Efficiency Committee, but when Mumbad starts I’ll happily drop Advanced Concept Hopper straight into that slot (and maybe for some Vitruviuses as well)

For me, Foodcoats is defined by its efficient BB Grid economy, efficient bioroids and very strong ID ability, not so much the difference between having 1 and 2 caprice.

4 Likes

Very interesting. For me it has been defined by using caprice to take scoring windows whenever they are even vaguely available. For example, playing against noise and mill decks I do want to rush, and caprice behind even a single piece of ICE is something i regularly use to score out 3/2s in the early game to position myself well for later. I often feel like finding here makes the difference… this why I am so hesitant to make the cut to 1. (It may well be the right move though).

Agree with everything here. With fewer recursion options for runners, do you see going more with Dan D’s Ichi suite, or more of Hoyland’s suite with Assassin?

@Frost_Duty I’ll have to do some more MWL testing to be more confident. I replaced the 1 caprice with 1 ash and I think he’s roughly as good at giving you scoring windows in the early game. To be honest the first 3/2 isn’t that hard to get and you can regularly do it without a defensive upgrade - runners will often be hesitant to triple click through Turing only to see an eve campaign, so often your card will be left alone.

I just see Eli and Architect as two of the strongest pieces of ice in the faction, and I’m reluctant to give those up and replace them with other things. Bastion I don’t think is very good at the moment - it’s like a Weyland barrier that also has the downside of being hit by the popular atman at 4. I prefer Wall of Static in that slot, but I would be very unhappy playing 3 of them and not having Eli. Markus is ok, IQ is ok, but if I want to play ice that are just ok I’ll play Blue sun instead. It’s worth noting both Eli and Architect are good in the noise matchup.

@CJFM At the moment I’m still on 2 little Ichi, 1 big Ichi and 1 Assassin. I’m less tied to that exact mix, but I’d be reluctant to play as many as 5 Ichis total because of how bad they are early on. I’m fond of Assassin but again, not sure how much I’d trust playing 3 of him. Once Vikram appears in the first pack of Mumbad I’ll try one copy of him, probably replacing Big Ichi. I could see him being good.

2 Likes

I went to 2 assassins and promptly ran into nexus kate with fat link, and then Nexus Nasir, same story. Immediately noped back to Ichi. Seriously though, link is getting to be kinda a ‘thing’

I agree that bastion might as well be WoS, and I like Bastion usually.

My instinct is to bail on Caprice and hope that with the best remote-camping deck out of the game the deck can make due without her. No Eli and no Architect just lets face-check decks run you into the ground.

3 Likes

The conclusion we came to immediately preceding Worlds was that 2x Caprice was essential. With the severe reorganisation of Kate that’s going on, remote sniping may not be as bad, but Stimhack is still a card and Blackmail is a thing in Anarch. Caprice won me more than one game at Worlds and you want two to make sure you see her (or at least significantly up the odds).

Taking out Caprice would be a major blow to Foodcoats in my opinion. At that point you’d be better looking at a HB rush deck or something similar.

3 Likes

Caprice is also a saving grace against decks are otherwise genuinely scary - Hyperdriver/False Echo decks, for example.

I played in a GNK last night with the list below and it felt as strong as ever. I agree that 2x Caprice is what can really help you win games that you otherwise might not against decks that can afford to camp the remote especially with the rise of Nexus Kate and her 5 link making Ash a less than useful tool. Markus is certainly a downgrade from Eli but serves a similar purpose, and I’d rather keep Architecht than Eli. Against Anarchs that haven’t found Faust/Corroder yet, Wall of Static pulls its weight to protect an early campaign/agenda.

Agenda (9)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)
1x Corporate War (Future Proof)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ••

Asset (9)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Eve Campaign (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (9)
3x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead)
2x Caprice Nisei (Double Time) ••••• •••
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)
3x Breaker Bay Grid (Breaker Bay)

Operation (4)
1x Archived Memories (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)

Barrier (4)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)
2x Markus 1.0 (The Source)

Code Gate (6)
3x Enigma (Core Set)
3x Turing (Breaker Bay)

Sentry (8)
3x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
1x Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Architect (Up and Over)
2x Assassin (Data and Destiny)

2 Likes

Had a game on Jinteki where I realized halfway through I’d forgotten to remove NAPDs :confused:

What’s the agenda spread looking like- probably 6 3/2s and 2 GFI; and Efficiency Committee/Corporate War? Which one do people prefer to run while waiting for Corporate Sales Team and Advance Concept Sports Hopper to come out?

Just run 1 NAPD unless you need the 1 Inf for something in particular.

So how is your Foodcoats performing after MWL?

Personally I had a pretty hard time. The deck went from winning most of its games (before MWL) to losing most of them for me. I have tried different variants, but nothing seems to be good enough. I think I’ll be moving to RP for the time being…

It performs fine,but unstable.With a decent hand it still feels like the old Foodcoat.Butt not like the pre-MWL world where even many bad situation can be dealt with,I find myself hard to get out of a hard situation.Still fine,but losing some stability is hurt.

Two questions
1: Is NEXT ice worth looking at?
2: What in Mumbad might help? Sports Hopper/Corp Sales Team can fill the NAPD hole; Advanced Assembly Lines/Lateral Growth might be good but they’ll require new deckslots; maybe run their new ice?

From Personal experience, NEXT is worth if there is not a lot of Noise/Anarch in your meta. Parasite can really cripple your suit. However, 3X Turing and 3X Vitruvious which can be over advanced early in the game to bring back your milled cards/parasited Ice. is really good against this particular match up.

NEXT Gold with Batty can even win you games.

If there is not a lot of parasite in your meta, then NEXT is more than worth it.

P.S. My Footcoats is a Batty/NEXT version and goes really well. Not like the old Foodcoats but still well enough.

NEXT ICE still isn’t there in my opinion. Gold is over-priced and dies too easily to active Parasite/Clone Chip. The other ICE is susceptible to not just Parasite, but the AI breaker / cutlery decks that are gaining some popularity.

If you face a lot of new Kate, it might be worth a gamble, but Anarch are still strongest and have the tools to dismantle your defences.

Something that may be worth a look is The Foundry. It’s playing on Hard Mode compared to ETF, but I won a store champs last year with one. Over-stuff your deck with ICE and you can often weather the storm of destruction Anarch brings, but it’s not optimal and means you have to give more deck slots over to defences than economy cards.

Not looked at spoilers, so I can’t help you there.

1 Like

I was just playing the foundry with next ice (next isn’t very good in ETF IMO, tried it a few times).
I am underwhelmed by the next archetype to be honest.

You’re all probably right about next ice. I still think it’s worth revisiting. Foundry needs more money than fits.

Next Ice needs architect and possibly Lotus Field. When it works it’s pretty oppressive. It’s about making it function when it’s not oppressive.

I’m going to have a look.

2 Likes

Next Ice really needs 3 X Architects and 3 X Turings for the anarch matches. A Turing on RnD is virtually impervious to all AI breakers AND D4Vid. Yeah it falls to parasite, but then all ICE fail to parasite eventually.

Gold is expensive but with Batty can give you the win via a kill or a rig blowout. And if it going to die to insta parasite, do not rez it that time, purge virus counters and get ready for the next run.

It feels like a very weird proposition to switch to NEXT as Kate gets worse and Noise gets (proportionally) better. It might be good if the meta goes a completely wild direction, but I don’t think the suite’s inherent weakness is any less pronounced post-MWL, I think it’s more so. Parasite didn’t get banned and Anarchs are still going to be running 3, and look very cleanly strong post-MWL, too.

3 Likes