Glacier or Rush decks these days?

Waiting for Chrome City. But that’s only 2 weeks away, right?

Yeah, eventually.

I think rush decks only have a place if they have Plan B. Flatline threat is much stronger right now based on my experience so far in Stimhack League and real life; runners are belligerently abusing Stimhack now and making it so much easier to flatline them with their 4 hand size. Scorch NEH is what I’ve been running, it’s dropped one game in 7 so far to flooding (turn 2 loss). I think Weyland kill builds are looking better, especially when Contract Killer comes out.

Traffic accident is the quiet fix to I’ve Had Worse that no one is playing.

(except butcher shop)

Laugh if you like but I have been experimenting with IoP and Snoop, both of which hit IHW. When you’re playing a scorch deck, you really only have to grip an IHW once. In NEH especially, anarchs play IHW just to compete with my draw all the time.

2 Likes

Invasion of privacy is insane in kill decks, primarily because its not technically damage and therefore not preventable.

Traffic accident into scorch is so effective against IHW that i now pack a plascrete in addition, despite the deck slots being tight and it being dead in more than a few matchups.

1 Like

I played 2 IoP in my weyland deck just to see if it was worthwhile. In honesty its not awful, the influence is too much, but the effect is quite real (resisted the urge to say Rielle, or did I?). So I can easily see it in NBN. Its not like the effect is totally null if you’re not killing them.

Snoop is fair to see what they’re up to, and makes a nasty sentry to break, but it never makes the cut for me. You could sub boost it too, but then you’re running sub boost AND snoop and your deck is starting to come apart at the seams.

1 Like

Agreed on all points- I midseason the runner every game that I don’t immediately train to 7 points, and Snoop basically just says “you can’t run here without showing me if you have any IHW”, and once I see your hand, if you have one, I might try to press the trace for the counter, which is easy since in this day and age, runners are relying on resources heavily because of the near-complete absence of tag punishment in the American meta.

I slotted 1 closed accounts in my RP deck for the SSCI (not that I did well). I highly recommend people slot this no matter what. Its like the stimhack of corp decks. It is very good for glacier decks, because runners sometimes think glacier has no tag punish, and holding tags is a huge benefit economically.

1 Like

If the Runner can camp your remote, you are breaking one of the most important corp principles which is that to win, you must force the Runner to make runs.

When I played HB Glacier w/Midway I packed two copies of GRNDL Refinery, one copy of Aggressive Secretary and played 8 agendas instead of 7 so I could play several 3/2 agendas to turn every single asset I have into a potential score. I never had a problem with Runners camping out the remote with that, specially since Jackson can and will recycle several of those cards.

Also, GNRLD and AggSec are awesome in and on themselves so :smiley:

1 Like

Hm, I’d be curious to see the list, if you didn’t mind sharing. If you don’t want to share, that’s understandable too =)

I would do this in NBN all the time, even if I was just strait FAing, because in NBN you can always hit them with a breaking news off a SanSan or, if times are tough, with an Astro Token. That play can often be game ending. Sometimes it would let me steal wins against someone leaving tags on after a Siphon. Like here: Netrunner LCG - FFG Worlds 2014 - Game 23 - YouTube

But outside of NBN, if you don’t have a way to tag, I think it’s way, way worse. So many games it will just be a do nothing. Criminal is less popular relative to the other factions than it’s ever been, so you’re less likely to have people floating tags. Even if you are running a bit of tagging ICE, a lot of decks that are not PPVP Kate rely on resource econ, so they are compelled to drop the tags anyway.

For 1 influence and the slot, its often very worth it if you have a hanging inf. I’ve been playing HB glacier and stuck a tag off a random ichi (1 or 2), and instead of the runner getting off the hook, I smash their kati and close their accounts. It does fall into that ‘edge’ category, but as both an insurance policy against tag floating (or running into eater/siphon maxx), and real punish, I will for sure dedicate 1 slot in glacier.

I’m keeping it wraps for now because I’m not the best pilot and GLC and regionals are both a couple weeks away and I want to have the best chance I can to win :stuck_out_tongue: I will say it plays 10 ice and 16 assets, using NEH’s ability to get economicly secure footing against denial strats while using its draw ability to power through the deck for combo cards. It’s been a fantastic and successful evolution of NEH so far; I’ll be sure to make a little post or something about it if I end up being successful at regionals with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

only hb can rush right now IMO, and partly because they have a solid fall back plan. weyland has no rush right now, nbn can try under threat of scorch but that’s about it. smc IS netrunner right now

RP can threaten a rush if the runner flounders or durdles at all. Watch Kiv’s SSCI round one game vs. Jimmypoopins for an example.

Rushing is kind of like RP’s plan B that it threatens to do before just settling into its plan A.

1 Like

SMC is definitely where it’s at. Weyland hybrid rush (the kind that doesn’t take lots of bad pub) should start running 3 Power Shutdown again- those plus CTs for later game is fantastic given that stealth Andy doesn’t break barriers cheaply either. I’m surprised Power Shutdown isn’t splashed more often given the overwhelming representation of shaper right now.

@hhooo and @dashakan tried power shutdown in HB in the SSCI and said it was an awful mistake that cost them top16 as Regass went 6-1 for both of them.

1 Like

LearningCap.putOn();

Is that because people were using the SMC up in the same turn they installed it so that there was no trash opportunity; or something else?

You’d have to ask them, but I would suspect that the issue has to do with timing and influence. Being able to splash 1 1/2 Caprice or 2 SanSan is pretty great in HB, and Power Shutdown is largely a reactive card. It can be subpar, hitting unimportant or redundant pieces such as superfluous Astrolabes and Clone Chips, and it doesn’t really advance your game plan unless you’re taking out their ability to break a certain type of ICE AND you have the ability to put them in a position where they need to break that type of ICE before they can recover. You also can’t ever be sure that they don’t have a card in their hand that will let them recover immediately afterwards, and if they do, it will often mean losing an agenda that you made a rush attempt on.

I feel like HB does fine by pressuring the runner with assets and upgrades through taxing ICE. Shutdown is often an economic wash, so it doesn’t really help you much there. You’d be much better off if you got them to run a SanSan through an IQ or Architect or something and then they trashed it.

W/R/T the op:

I think the thing to keep in mind is that FA is the only strategy that can (or, could) stand alone in a deck. a pure rush, pure glacier, or pure kill deck will all have weaknesses - a glacier might need to threaten a rush to get the runner running earlier instead of building up - alternatively they can threaten a flatline to get the runner’s resources split by either making them rush for a win or spend resources building up protection.

TLDR is that neither strategy alone is going to work; fastrobiotics was the only deck I know of that could afford to put all their eggs in one basket.

2 Likes