Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

Denying DBS and SanSan are only SOMETIMEs a good idea. The closer to Medium digging them you get, the less relevant either of those cards become.

Early on, try to trash their Biotic/Fast Track with imp and build a rig. Don’t bother to trash sansan until they score an agenda. If they score an agenda with it, trash it on sight if their econ is high, don’t bother if they’re (almost) broke. If you keep running their server for a single access, even if it doesn’t cost you a lot, at some point the toll on your econ would be too high. At some point, you want to drop a Medium and keep running their R&D that you should have cleared by now with parasite/knifed.

Ohh, thanks for the insight. That was what my plan was typically. I really hate going down to 0 creds. Would much prefer be hovering above 4 creds. Thing is I think I got tilted seeing them score their first astro, or about to score an astro before I have anything set up other than a kati. In all three games against NEH I was constantly milling my clonechips and sure gambles too.

I’m also gonna say that trying to run too aggressively against NEH without desperado is probably the best way to lose the game with any runner.
NEH usually doesn’t care if you only run for a single card, especially if they don’t have anything to lose in their HQ. Most of the time they won’t rez any ice except popup and architect early on.

3 Likes

Think I made a few mistakes on running against the NEH players, on two of the games against the same guy I ran rather recklessly, hoping to stop their second astro. That made me go broke or near broke with out any points scored. Which also means sansan and DBS stayed longer while I attempted to remedy my train wreck of an econ.

On my last game against another NEH player, which knocked me out of the double elim as third place, I had r&d locked with a medium with 3 tokens. R&d was guarded by an Eli, hq with a quandary. I had 1 Cred, 3 tokens on medium, an empty kati and sitting at 6 points. At which point I decided to click through the Eli again for four cards and whiffed on the access. The opponent then scored his 6th point using his last token on astro. At which point I was extremely torn between going for either R&D, or Cred + parasite and run hq twice. I felt that a breaking news was in hand. I did the latter, but failed to steal the breaking news that he actually had and scored next turn.

I think the medium dig is very potent, but would you guys also sit back to money back up for a turn if going too low on money?

3 meat / 30 octgn.
77 is not that big, even sleeved like I do.
If you ever played Tarot, that is no big deal to shuffle. :stuck_out_tongue:
Advantage of meat version is your opponent making a lot of fun of you until he realise his 8th ice got melt or trashed and you’re preping a Wanton, haha.
/ot would we ? Original question is why 2x econ x1 in this deck.

Queens Gambit is not always playable, so playing 3 might strand you with no economy that you can actually use. The second one is fine, and maybe should be in the deck, but I am happy with 1, especially since one people realize you’re playing it, if they’re playing a deck without a lot of targets, they can play around it by rezzing things on their turn.

Liberated Account is also not always playable, and is probably the worst econ card in the deck. You could play the 3rd and it would be fine, but I cut one to make room.

Lucky Find costs influence, so I can’t play more.

1 Like

Disagreed about Liberated, I started with two and went up to three, it’s fantastic in here. And Queens as a singleton should probably never get to the second copy. First is good, but it’s often unplayable vs. Weyland, and as you said, it can be played around after they see one.

3 Likes

I never played this deck with QG. Unless horizontal play becomes the norm, never will.

2 Likes

I heard NEH and RP are pretty popular. I also heard that Adonis, Ash and Caprice are good QG target :<
(but so does ABT)

5 Likes

I have not heard this.

5 Likes

I played it with QG before switching to your list, and the QG was okay when I played it, but I like your list a lot more. Sometimes QG is just dead. I’m not in love with Liberated, but it’s adequate.

I think I’m going to try one less Knifed to get the Stimhack in while staying at 45.

1 Like

Playing with this list in a tournament where 55% of people are RP and packing 2+ Lotus Fields is going to make you hate life, btw.

(and possibly switch out Zu and the LF/Scavenge for a Retrieval Run and a Torch)

@PeekaySK

I’ve said it before, but I’m pretty surprised that Retrieval Run and Clone Chip/Stimhack aren’t more popular with these “Reg” MaxX builds.

I really like the Retrieval Run in my list, but I’m not convinced on Torch. Atman at 4 is way more versatile imo (as noted above by some people as well).

That’s how I rolled initially, but it has its own set of challenges… have to do more testing before deciding on a version.

CloneChip x3 is in all of them anyway. I think the Stimhack is only useful if you want to bring out something big, although bringing out Yog and trashing a SanSan for one real credit ain’t bad either… I am on the fence re Stimhack vs [random other econ card]. Then again, I am still learning to play this deck so take my comments cum grano salis. I have a RetRun build that I really like, but I decided not to rep it in a tournament due to the negative EV on RetRun when playing the same opponent (how foolishly optimistic I was! typically one must get out of Swiss to play the same person twice, right?) or against scouting… I know, it’s against the rules, but seems like everyone does it anyway.

I’m pretty sure this is faulty reasoning. Even against an opponent playing a list you’re intimately familiar with (like, “actually built” level of familiar), you can’t always leverage that info into meaningful advantage, board-state-wise. What’s worse, if you try too hard to make it happen, you could easily lead yourself into a corner by playing around something they didn’t even draw.

2 Likes

I have put DL instead of QG and it work well.

“Faulty reasoning” seems a bit harsh. Just throwing a spare Wrap or Ice Wall or Quandary on Archives really dings the RetRun plan. I’m not saying it invalidates the concept or makes the deck unplayable, or that there isn’t value in inducing the Corp to spread ICE thinner. Just saying there’s a difference between an easy Torch and a hard Torch, and that difference is enough for me not to want to play RetRun decks against the same opponent multiple times. As it stands, it was irrelevant anyway since I scrubbed out in swiss… There’s always two weeks from now. (EDIT: Some empiric evidence, of albeit small sample size… I did test this proposition and find it to be true against both some random folk on OCTGN and against my main playtest amigo).

2 Likes