Grip, not Hand: Yes We Khan!

Criminal decks that aren’t stacking successful run triggers like it’s 2014 seem to revolve around the idea that ICE should be a liability to the Corp. The problems with that are (i) destroying ICE is more potent than derezzing it (and crazily is usually cheaper), and (ii) corps don’t play ICE that’s a liability unless they’re blue sun. In fact, criminals that aren’t Desperado Andy style criminals probably won’t really work until Blue Sun glacier is the dominant Corp archetype.

All that said, I think for casual players/GNK fun decks both Khan and Geist are pretty cool. Siphon is a pretty good card that can carry decks. Barry had a neat deck with birds and ice analyzer/comp employee but it was in Andy (because 9 cards are much better than 5).

I’m sad that Temujin didn’t cost 3-4 inf. (although that probably wouldn’t help Khan specifically too much tbh).

3 Likes

Most importantly what is a Skiptracer?

I like that idea… Wonder if it’s possible to get them to work out of Kate, since the birds are only 2 inf each… And that way you basically get Khan’s ability, but with hardware and not having to pass an ICE first… :wink:

Anyway, what I’m currently testing:

Hawkgirl

Khan: Savvy Skiptracer (Blood Money)

Event (16)

Hardware (6)

Resource (11)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (2)

10 influence spent (max 12-2★=10, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Crushes Glacier decks easily… Has a problem with any damage decks. PU in particular is miserable, since they can mill you faster than other runners (due to 40 card deck size). The MacroDrives are… Working, so far. They get rid of Ice Analyzer’s timing issues, and I’ve not noticed any huge issue that they cost 2 instead of 0.

1 Like
10 Likes

That and Temujin Contract makes it sound like she’s a bounty hunter? Sounds reasonable.

1 Like

she was described in the release article as a runner who hunts down other runners.

i’m honestly not entirely sure how it works out that she ends up against the corp thematically in the game, but yeah, she’s basically a bounty hunter

1 Like

feeling like Khan is a lost cause with Los coming…

5 Likes

That does seem to complement derezzing better than Khan’s installation ability. It lacks the click compression, but helps with the money issue of, say, using the bird breakers (while also being decent with classic de-rez. I’m also curious what his support cards might mean for Nasir (they briefly coexist, right?).

Unrelated, if Los is the game’s “data hacker”, what the heck have all the other runners been doing this whole time?

2 Likes

yeah, exactly. Khan seems pretty pigeon-holed into using the bird breakers, which are only really good for expensive ICE due to their install cost and opportunity cost for the corp

i really wanted to like Khan and see what kind of support she’d get to make her worthwhile, but i don’t think we’ll get it. i was feeling that we were pretty much waiting for Keros, but i’m kind of losing faith in Khan. she needs so much support to justify using her, like Autoscripter for an extra click on top of the saved click on the install. she’s jank city, and i tried so hard to convince myself she wasn’t.

and Los is good no matter what. even if you have exactly 0 derez effects, his ability is still amazing. but in addition to derez effects, it’s great with straight up ICE destruction (encouraging the corp to keep reinstalling new ICE), traditional derez as you said, like Crescentus and Emergency Shutdown
and you mention Nasir: against decks with a bunch of Vanilla, Resistor, et al., Los’ ability is much better than Nasir’s

compared to Los, Khan has a smaller deck size going for her, and that’s it. maybe maybe if she had 15 influence, i could see the argument for her, but she doesn’t, so…

2 Likes

Data Hijacker. I made the same mistake, it took reading the copy to catch it.

4 Likes

Thank you for the correction. NTS: Next time, pay more attention to the full-sized images than the spread. Also, read the copy, even if they don’t always get everything right.

hur hur hur

3 Likes

[response indicating that i totally intentionally meant for that glorious pun to happen]

…[totally]

Do you think we will also get a falconer AI for Crims? I mean, even Stealth got a Stealth AI (Dai V). My guess of the day would be a “Millennium Falcon”. Ha.

So this may sound crazy, but I think En Passant actually make Kahn and her fowl breakers usable. The problem being you need a million credits to make it work, hence all the Multithreaders, Ice Analyzers, and Compromised Employees. I’m thinking that Forged Activation Orders also becomes an economy card when you’re setup as it triggers off everything else, but I have no idea what to cut…

Kahn

Khan: Savvy Skiptracer (Blood Money)

Event (14)
2x Account Siphon (Core Set)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x En Passant i[/i] [color=#FF4500]●●●●● ●[/color]
1x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (1)
1x Desperado (Core Set) [color=#4169E1]★[/color]

Resource (16)
3x Compromised Employee (Trace Amount)
2x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Hernando Cortez (23 Seconds)
2x Ice Analyzer (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]●●[/color]
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Golden (Blood Money)
2x Peregrine i[/i]
2x Saker i[/i]

Program (3)
3x Multithreader (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]●●●[/color]
11 influence spent (max 12-1★=11, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Thoughts?

I’d cut Khan - I think this is a good ‘for fun’ deck, but you lose in the early game and win the late game. Play Andy and your super fast start gives you a chance! If you insist you can slot rebirth and think about Khan. If you do, I think Khan will be the correct rebirth target 1/10 games at best.

This makes me a bit sad.

6 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense :frowning:

Yeah, I might play En Passant in a Geist deck with cresentus, but it just seems kind of boring in a Khan deck like this. Based on the rest of your set up, ice should be more of a liability to the corp, so why get rid of it?

It’s there to get rid of the worst ice and open up siphon windows, force them to play garbage ice, etc.

I’m just about ready to throw in the towel on Khan but after trying En Passant, I think a better option for the influence is Xanadu.

If you have Compromised Employees and Ice analyzers, you really want them to rez Ice. You also want them to have to spend money installing more ice on top of that Ice you just shut down. Xanadu + Hernando makes Rezzing an Ichi 1.0 (when they have 10 credits) cost 9. Data Ward will cost 13.

2 Likes