Hayley Kaplan: Click Decompression

I’m testing that out in Nasir actually, with street peddler, workshop and as many trashables as possible. I’ll trim it down to the necessary off-turn trashers, but it has been promising, since Nasir doesn’t need a ton of credits, often just 2 or 3 here and there to get things rolling.

2 Likes

As a long-time player of Hayley, you’re going to need so much more draw. Like you said, she shits out installs like mad, but (other than chameleon) you’ll need cards to install first. I’d recommend either ProCon or Earthrise.

I haven’t had too many problems with just the 3 Diesel and the 2 QTs. I considered ProCon, but thought I’d see how it went with just the event draw. Sure I click for cards occasionally, but it doesn’t happen more than I’m comfortable with. I’ll keep the suggestions in mind, though. It’s far from a bad idea.

I think the event based draw is the way to go for Hayley. I used procon for a long time in my Hayley deck but found it to be much slower than 3 Diesel and 3 QT. With all the low cost installs and her ability I she is only of the best IDs to support 3 QT. For additional speed and deck thinning I also enjoy the 1 of replicator in the Chameleon decks, helps to pull up the LLDS as well.

Wouldn’t Earthrise Hotel be better than QT? Haylee plays it for half a click instead of a full click, and you have the option to pawn it for $3 instead of 2 cards later, which essentially turns it into a ‘draw 4 for $1’, which I would say is much better than draw 5 for $3.

I thought a lot about ProCon, but in the end I feel that Haylee will be spending a click or two installing stuff, and should be making runs sometimes, so there probably isnt time to be clicking to draw two or more ties a turn. Haylee needs a ton of cards and she is going to need to get them from additional draw sources like Diesel, Earthrise Hotel, Drug Dealer, etc.

Given that, I think that Symmetrical Visage is more efficient in her than ProCon. We can probably draw once a turn.

It might even be worth trying Oracle May/Motivation. Extra Motivation is pawnable, and if you play Street Peddler and a ton of draw you should be able to find the combo fairly fast. It does cost influence though.

Drug Dealer is an interesting possibility if we can manage to start turns at 0, which we can potentially achieve through personal workshop and using credits on the corp’s turn. This also turns on Order of Sol, and after we complete an accelerated ‘setup phase’ of the game, we can pawn the drug dealers. Personal Workshop also makes it really easy to trigger Hayley installs on the corp turn, while helping to keep us able to empty our hand and draw more even if we run out of credits.

Scheherazade seems very useful as well, given Cache, Self Modifying Code, Davinci, etc.

In the end we have a wealth of options and we just have to figure out what the best ones are to provide efficiency and smoothness of play. I feel that the setup will be running near 0 credits for a bit while it gets going, and then explode, so we need a Clot for sure to slow the corp down.

3 Likes

You make a very good argument for Earthrise. I think I might try that out over the QTs. If I go this route, I’m almost certainly dropping the Sure Gambles in favor of Daily Casts as well, in order to up the amount of resources to install in order to try and get the 1/2 a click installation cost.

This change coupled with possibly dropping an Astrolabe (going to one from two) in favor of Levy also makes me want to drop the Sahasarara due to possible MU problems, and probably add in a third copy of both Earthrise and Daily Casts. Maybe instead of one of those, add that weird 1-of replicator that @Varren was talking about, just to see what happens. This might be too many changes at once, though. I’ll probably start small and just do the other changes first.

There’s always the Macro drive.

1 Like

I think I’d only consider that if I was doing this in Kate. 2 credits for a 1-credit payout is probably just too slow, even if it does free up an MU. It feels kinda like Prepaid Voicepad, for the same reasons. It’s only reasonably good in Kate, who can install for 1.

@Alexfrog EH vs QT is an interesting debate and worth testing. While I completely agree that EH is more efficient I think it is worth noting several things: 1) It is only half a click if you have another resource in your hand and the credits to install both. Many of the Hayley decks that we are discussing are relatively resource thin so the odds of you having two resources in your hand in the early game is not necessarily high. 2) The initial 4 credit vs 3 credit cost is not insignificant in the early game for Hayley, who can run cash poor in the early game when she is installing so much. 3) Last but not least, 5 cards in one turn vs 6 cards (or 4 cards 3 credits if you pawn) over 3 turns is a considerable tempo difference.

One of the advantages that Hayley has in regards to playing QT is that she can generally play it without significant concern of not being able to play enough cards the same turn she plays QT.

I am not saying EH is strickly better or worse and I definitely think it is worth testing but I think the debate over the two cards is potentially more nuanced.

The Drug Dealer draw engine with PW seems like it could be really powerful if PW is being used.

@tvaduva DaVinci has really fun synergy with Hayley but it makes me want to run a deck that is more focused on aggressively running (a la Criminal econ). I could see a Hayley deck built around DaVinci, Datasucker, and Parasite being fun but that could be hard to build given the influence impact of MWL. If the deck isn’t built around aggressively running Modded might be more generally reliable.

Are they? All the Hayley lists I have been trying to make have like 20 resources, more than either programs or hardware.

[quote=“Alexfrog, post:272, topic:3752”]
All the Hayley lists I have been trying to make have like 20 resources, more than either programs or hardware.
[/quote]This is true for me as well, Hayley’s ability being usable with resources enables a Shaper deck centered on them, something which was not possible in Kate.

Well, the ones we’ve been talking about just slightly upstream have been. I’ve seen Hayley decks with about a billion resources, though, so it can certainly happen.

Sure you can go that route, but I’m specifically recommending DaVinci for Hayley decks with Pawnshop and Wasteland.

It will still have value in the two decks you’ve posted as well. You should be doing some amount of running anyway, so it’s not hard to get 1-3 power counters. But, think of it, even if you didn’t do any running, you could install (going from your decklists): NRE (not necessarily recommending this), Technical Writer, Harbinger, Paricia, SMC, Dorm Computer, Inti and with Hayley’s ability your second install can be more expensive from your credit pool. With just one power counter, you can drop a Clone Chip and a Plascrete to save yourself against Scorch+Accident (or with bounced Chameleon double Scorch). With Wastelands you’re also getting an extra 1-3 credits doing something you already want to do.

A lot of options open up with a properly constructed Pawnshop deck, because most of your stuff is really cheap.

1 Like

I built a Hayley deck

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar

Event (3)
3x Diesel

Hardware (11)
2x Astrolabe
3x Clone Chip ☆☆☆
2x Lockpick
1x Plascrete Carapace
3x R&D Interface

Resource (18)
2x Aesop’s Pawnshop
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Daily Casts
3x Drug Dealer •••
3x Ghost Runner
2x Kati Jones
2x Personal Workshop

Icebreaker (7)
1x Atman
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 ☆☆
1x Cyber-Cypher
1x Mimic •
1x Refractor
1x Sharpshooter

Program (6)
1x Clot ••
1x Datasucker •
1x Parasite ☆ ••
3x Self-modifying Code

Basically trying to be standard Kate but with Refractor. Ghost Runner are stealth credits when you need them / pawnshop food when you don’t. Drug Dealer over Earthrise because an immediate four credit hit is pretty rough. I don’t think this is actually better than Kate I’ve found it fun to play.

1 Like

So, I took the following list to a 22-player SC in Grand Rapids MI today, and had great results taking down 2nd place:

Haley MWL Smaug (45 cards)
Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar
– Event (6 cards)
3 Diesel
3 Modded
– Hardware (11 cards)
2 Akamatsu Mem Chip
2 Clone Chip••
1 HQ Interface••
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 R&D Interface
1 The Toolbox
– Program (17 cards)
1 Atman
2 Cache•••
1 Clot••
1 Corroder••
1 GS Shrike M2••
2 Harbinger•
3 Multithreader•••
2 Paricia
3 Self-modifying Code
1 Study Guide
– Resource (11 cards)
3 Aesop’s Pawnshop
2 Armitage Codebusting
3 Daily Casts
3 Professional Contacts

It’s worth noting that this was a Non-MWL environment, but also that this deck loses only clot to the MWL, which I never installed once this tournament.

First off, the obvious: the HB matchup was brutal. even in games where I just let them run away with the econ (40+ credit totals across the table were common) it was in every case a complete shutdown via remote and RnD lock, often coupled with heavy HQ attack once caprice got too pricy to contest on the remote.

My one loss in swiss was to a meat damage blue sun that sold an extremely convincing IAA shattered remains to kill both my plascretes. lesson learned, only install one until you need the other. even then I went out at 6 points and whiffed on a last turn RnD dig of 6 cards.

NBN matches were surprisingly easy - beating an NEH and a Haarp soundly, and losing to a SYNC in the finals due to the classic “perfect draw” where he had a turn 2 astro that led to a turn 3 astro that lead to a turn 4 astro that lead to a turn 6 fast track BN. I might be a bit off on turn numbers but it was definitely one of those games where you just have to throw up your hands and say GG! (I won’t go into what happened in the finals with my corp… basically RNG shit the bed there as well).

memory proved to be an issue in testing so I switched to 2x akamatsu (I found I was often wanting to install the toolbox but without the spare memory to aesops astrolabe). Toolbox is a card I have almost cut many times that I ended up really glad to have. in addition to a 3rd or 4th multithreader and the memory to keep the aesops engine thrumming, the 2 link proved essential against tagstorm decks with resistor (the link making the trace a breeze) I would consider dropping an akamatsu for a second toolbox even, though my gut says it would cause unwanted variance issues.

3 Likes

i’ve been playing a similar list lately and have been tweaking quite a lot.

this is where i’m at atm

New Runner Deck

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (6)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (9)
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]☆☆[/color]
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (15)
3x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Technical Writer (Data and Destiny)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x GS Shrike M2 (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]••[/color]
1x Study Guide (Breaker Bay)

Program (13)
3x Cache (The Spaces Between) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
2x DaVinci (The Universe of Tomorrow)
3x Harbinger (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]•••[/color]
3x Multithreader (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]•••[/color]
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
13 influence spent (max 15-2☆=13)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

also considering a Chameleon version, but it actually needs more cards to work, and i’m still not sure what to replace

i’ve been playing a similar list lately and have been tweaking quite a lot.

this is where i’m at atm

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (7)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (9)
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]☆☆[/color]
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (14)
3x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
3x Technical Writer (Data and Destiny)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x GS Shrike M2 (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]••[/color]
1x Study Guide (Breaker Bay)

Program (13)
3x Cache (The Spaces Between) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
2x DaVinci (The Universe of Tomorrow)
3x Harbinger (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]•••[/color]
3x Multithreader (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]•••[/color]
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
13 influence spent (max 15-2☆=13)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

also considering a Chameleon version, but it actually needs more cards to work, and i’m still not sure what to replace

2 Levy because the Same Old Thing was just another Levy anyway, but i suppose i could sell it to Aesop’s late game. it’s a recent change that i’ll be testing anyway

Cool, tons of similarities here! a few thoughts/questions:

• I started out with levy in the deck but as it turns out I even in testing (including games vs. PE) I have yet to draw out the deck, or even feel like I’ve run out of money. That said I don’t run quality time- modded was an MVP all day, always proving to be a shot in the arm, allowing me to push out rig pieces or interfaces long before it would otherwise be advisable.

• how’s 2x toolbox working out? as I said above I’m considering going this route given how surprising easy it is to afford (esp with modded…) and how much work it does.

• Everyone says tech writer is the “right” choice over armitage, and I think they’re probably right, but I just like having a “plan C” in a deck where practically all the economy is somehow combo-related. sometimes I can’t find procons or aesops, and an armitage can be just what the doctor ordered to push cards clogging your hand out onto the table where they can start threatening the corp. I also like that they pretty much never get trashed even when you go tag-me; the same can definitely not be said of 'writer.

• how’s davinci? I haven’t tested it at all but I can definitely see the appeal given all the juicy targets in the deck and the synergy with hayley.

• I strongly recommend dropping a harbinger and a cache for an HQ interface and something else (I’m getting good results with paricia but another davinci might be nice if that’s doing work for you?). HQ interface has been an absolute beast whenever I’ve installed it - it is so, so hard to establish a safe-feeling remote against this deck, that agendas will pile up (if they’ve managed to sneak any through your RnD attack) and this will let you pluck them out of hand quite easily, or force them to make remote attempts before they are ready to actually keep you out.

1 Like

Why were you only playing 44 cards? :wink:

just a typo it seems - there should have been 2x armitage codebusting. fixed above.