Hayley Kaplan: Click Decompression

yeah, i don’t think i’ve ever used Levy either, so i’ll probably cut it down. i actually added the Quality Times as a way to try to justify it haha

Toolbox is great, but i can see how 2x might not be necessary. i may swap 1 for an extra Akamatsu

Technical Writer and Armitage are actually both things i ran for a while, and the only reason Armitage is not on the list is because i’ve never clicked through even one. i might shuffle things around to fit in 2 (and technical writer), but TW is really good, especially if you get one in your opening hand, and especially if you have 2 out at the same time. plus they can be sold for 3 to Aesop’s if you draw them late

DaVinci is a recent inclusion, only there to help trigger Hayley’s ability before i Aesop’s a Harbinger (and it works on resources as well, so it’s good for ProCo and such)

yeah, i actually really love a good 1x HQ Interface and will see where i can shuffle around influence. i may just drop the Caches. their main appeal were immediate credits and doesn’t whiff her ability (compared to Harbinger), and also with Personal Workshop, they’re the same price as Harbinger (so maybe i’ll drop the Harbinger instead lol)

I’ve only used Levy for Haley in a Pancake-Shoppe 2x Beach Party Game Day Faust deck. It was silly and ridiculous, and could easily burn through 8+ cards in a turn.

Levy is only really good if you have a lot of cards in your heap that you want in your stack again, so great for events or trash-on-use installed cards (Clone Chip, DDoS, Daily Casts), but not great with a lot of unique cards (Aesop, The Toolbox, ProCo). Also, installed clone chips aren’t good for much when your heap is emptied back into your stack.

It’s all rather obvious, but I think a lot of people overlook these factors when they design a deck and include 2x Levy in every shaper.

1 Like

um ok. the Levy wasn’t in there just because it’s a shaper deck. i have since gone down to 1 with no Same Old Thing at all, but i already said why i was running 2 instead of 1 (since 1 was just replacing Same Old Thing that was only there to use Levy late game)

you’re right that lots of stuff won’t be cycled back in, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing (in fact, i argue strongly that it’s NOT a bad thing). the argument could be applied to Prepaid Kate, and no one argued that Levy was a dead card for her, even when Plascretes, Sharpshooters, Atman, etc. weren’t relevant to the current game (and had to be drawn up again before hitting those events). when my Hayley uses Levy, i get Harbingers, Caches, and since there are less cards overall in my deck, i’ll see them quicker, even though, gosh, 5 cards are copies of unique stuff! (only 4 at this point, i’ve already swapped 1 Toolbox for 1 Akamatsu)

and of course an installed Clone Chip is useless with nothing in the heap, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Levy, and that board state can be created without any help from Levy at all

Levy use is dependent upon how much you draw up and pitch and how many things you want to through back in your deck. Prepaid Kate had 9 events, and i have 6 obvious targets for Aesop’s, 9 if you include the three Daily Casts (which i do, since it’s great economy with AP). but also Self-Modifying Code, Akamatsu, and even those ‘useless’ Clone Chips can be Aesop’s fodder when they have no relevant targets, and they haven’t cost me as many clicks to install, and with Personal Workshop, many of them come out for free.
PE is really common in my meta (i’ve played 3 separate PE decks in the last week out of a total of 5 runner games), and i find that Levy is very good for that as well.

anyway, i find that i actually do run through my deck when playing as this Hayley, since i’m installing and drawing a lot and only really running once per turn (if at all), and i was originally running 1x Levy and 1x Same Old Thing, but i wasn’t really running any events that warranted Same Old Thing (other than Levy), so the second Levy was just a backup so i could ditch an early one that i didn’t need and not have to worry about installing and using Same Old Thing later, just play the other copy and save myself the clicks.
but i already said this. it’s all rather obvious, but i think a lot of people just like to make assumptions instead of actually read all of someone’s post before replying.

i have been testing a lot of Adam lately, but i tried Hayley for one match tonight, and that 1x HQ Interface would have made a huge difference haha. i still won, but it would have been 7-4 instead of 7-6 and me sweating every turn until the corp pulled an agenda (they had biotics in hand and a vitruvius token)

definitely going to make that change. it’s really hard deciding what to pitch, but i’m leaning towards either 2x Cache or your suggestion, 1x Cache & 1x Harbinger.

and yeah, DaVinci did some serious work tonight. i got one in my opening hand and another by turn two or three and managed to get one up to 9 counters for a free Toolbox and the other up to 5 for a free Shrike. it was seriously good. i can’t wait to try them with Patron. until then, i think 2x DaVinci and 2x Self-Modifying Code are right, since i ended up selling one SMC to Aesop’s and needed the other for my Corrodor, but maybe i’ll try a third once i shift stuff around for HQI or (see below) an armitage.

i’m also thinking the Personal Workshops could easily be Armitages again. or maybe i just need to draw them early enough. will need to test more. maybe just 1x Armitage since i rarely end up clicking through 1 completely and absolutely never click through a second.

Technical Writer again wasn’t seen until late game, so i’m not sure how i feel about it. with another resource, it’s free Aesop’s fodder, so i’m loathe to remove it. if i get them early, they are seriously really good since there’s a lot of installing

yeah, I think the workshops are definitely a place to cut if you’re looking for room in that list. The urge to “maximise” haley installs at any cost is an easy trap to fall into (leading most often to spending effort and credits getting things installed that you might not need yet), and I think the drawback of having 2 dead cards in the list might not be worth it.

you’ve sold me enough on davinci that I will try slotting in a couple - sounds like it could be fun :smiley:

The second and third workshops aren’t totally dead - as long as something is installed on them it’s drip econ of 1 cred/turn/workshop.

First, I do not intend to come across as mean or aggressive, but I do want to challenge the way you look at your list, and how Levy fits into it. I think the issue with Levy here is that the cards you’ll recycle with a Levy are cards that can keep your rig going, but nothing to close out the game. Next time you are thinking of using Levy (in any deck), look at the cards in your heap, and ask:

'are these the power cards that will close out he game for me?‘
or
’are these the cards that will let my rig keep running for a few more turns, but not likely change the balance of the match?’

The Maker’s Eye, Parasite, Legwork, Account Siphon/Vamp, Escher are all good power cards that can swing the game in a big way to favor the runner (and can be in the heap for any reason, most people won’t need to Escher twice). Aesop, Technical Writer, DaVinci, SMC, Daily Casts are either useless on a second run through, or take too long to draw and pay off to win before the corp scores out.

1 Like

yeah, that’s definitely what i did haha! it’s also bad in general saving an install so i can use her ability 'but if i install this Toolbox first, i don’t have any hardware… but i need the MU so i can install these two programs…"
and with Personal Workshop, so often i would install something on it and either let it drip for exactly 1 and install it on my next turn or just end up paying it off right away anyway because well, i’m making a run on R&D and want that RDI now, or so i could delay an install to get Hayley’s ability to trigger on the corp’s turn (but saving exactly 0 credits). sure, i can save myself Hayley’s ability on a turn i sell Harbinger to Aesop’s and get extra ‘free’ installs on the corp’s turn, but her ability triggers often enough anyway, i’m now 100% convinced that it’s fine to ditch them and go back for Armitage

[quote=“ulrikdan, post:287, topic:3752”]
The second and third workshops aren’t totally dead - as long as something is installed on them it’s drip econ of 1 cred/turn/workshop.
[/quote]i only have the two. i think he means that both of them are pretty much dead cards since i don’t actually end up using them that much.

[quote=“BubbaTheGoat, post:288, topic:3752”]
First, I do not intend to come across as mean or aggressive
[/quote]fair enough. tone is a bit difficult to tell through text sometimes.

1 Like

Double post but whatever. I went up to three DaVinci, and it seems like it’s too much imo

I also really love HQI but don’t like Technical Writer as much with less targets. Maybe I will replace them for something else, or maybe I will go less resources and more programs/hardware

A cheeky 1x Notoriety is great since it’s pretty unexpected and with all the recurring credits, runs aren’t so difficult (especially since no one really ICEs up archives against Hayley)

1 Like

I like this include. I have one rotating “fun card” slot which is currently Escher but this might be a great shout as well

I switched over to give these a try after many people suggested it, but honestly found myself LD really wishing I had arbitrage instead most of the time. The ability to money up early when necessary is so crucial in faster paced games.

1 Like

yeah, i think Technical Writer is better if you’re constantly installing random crap. need more things like Parasite, Cache, Harbinger, but also Scavenge on something like Lady or Femme, or just Chameleon and/or London Library or something

i also find that i’ll click for like 7 for a big surge, but then run out of gas. then again, i also seem to have a lot of trouble finding them quickly, so maybe it’s just really bad luck.

either way, i think it’s great for a deck that’s going to be installing a LOT of non-resource cards, and if you’re running Aesop’s, ProCo, Daily Casts, Armitage, that’s already probably too many deck slots that could be programs to give you money from TW

unless you’re running, say Chameleon, so i think you’re right. i’ll ditch it for now and see if i actually miss it. i’m also thinking about ditching the Caches completely. it’s nice that you get money right away, and it doesn’t whiff your ability the first time you sell it like Harbinger, but i often find that i’ll reach max MU and sell off my Akamatsus to Aesop’s, and then i just have dead Caches in my hand. i’d rather just have another Clone Chip instead (which can easily be another Harbinger if i need it, or something else if i really need that instead), so i think from my previous list, in terms of influence, just dropping the 3 Caches and going -> +1 HQ Interface +1 Clone Chip should be good.

i’ll probably play around with the last couple of slots if i take out the Technical Writers. i also very much prefer Quality Time to Earthrise Hotel, even though it doesn’t get to activate on Hayley’s ability. if i want to draw slowly, i have ProCo. Quality Time is for some strong digging when i really need something

Who else is testing Maya right now? I swapped out my 2x toolbox for 2x Maya and so far I’m having a blast with it. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve lost previously with full RnD lock in effect and I have to watch patiently as psycho and fast track or sea source and scorches drift lazily into the corps’ hand while I dig and dig but don’t find my silver bullets. Beyond combo disruption, there’s also the fantastic interactions with QPM, Haarp, News Team, occasionally TFP/NAPD, etc.

Anyone else? I think this console is a big part of the reason people are even talking about Jesminder, but imo it has a lot of play in just about any shaper planning on serious RnD assault.

4 Likes

Hayley loves memory, and Maya provides memory and an strong-but-situational ability on the side, for cheap. Maya’s the bee’s knees, IMO.

I’m going to try it. I don’t think the tag ability will fire often, since Hayley is adverse to tags with ProCo, Aesop’s, and other resource non-sense. But, as you point out with your examples, when it does it, it will have a huge impact. Maya kinda seems like the Turntable for the combo/kill corps.

I think the discount memory is the big selling point for me in Hayley, and the neat/situational ability is a nice bonus.

Exactly this. The memory is the main draw for me here- this console is to cybersolutions as astrolabe is to akamatsu - but I actually find myself firing it’s ability quite a lot. I just never run last click, and then it’s like, “oh, do I want to spend a click and 2 credits to stop NBN from drawing biotic next turn? why yes, I do! (usually)”

Late game (once I’m rigged up and not mashing proco very often) I’ll often just start letting tags float against HB or jinteki (or a confirmed non-tagging NBN or weyland build). when the corp is under the gun from multithreader oppression, a click and 2 credits to trash a resource I’m not getting much use out of starts being a pretty tall order. also, not one corp in my history of playing netrunner has every clicked to trash a half-empty armitage. Just sayin.’

1 Like

Exactly this. The memory is the main draw for me here- this console is to cybersolutions as astrolabe is to akamatsu - but I actually find myself firing it’s ability quite a lot. I just never run last click, and then it’s like, “oh, do I want to spend a click and 2 credits to stop NBN from drawing biotic next turn? why yes, I do! (usually)”

Late game (once I’m rigged up and not mashing proco very often) I’ll often just start letting tags float against HB or jinteki (or a confirmed non-tagging NBN or weyland build). when the corp is under the gun from multithreader oppression, a click and 2 credits to trash a resource I’m not getting much use out of starts being a pretty tall order. also, not one corp in my history of playing netrunner has every clicked to trash a half-empty armitage. Just sayin.’

1 Like

Tried a Hayley Chameleon build, using Aesop’s and Drug Dealer.

(The version I tested had +3 Street Peddler +1 Clone Chip, -2 Quality Time -2 Bank Job)

So Drug Dealer is amazing. Especially being able to turn it off if I don’t happen to need cards at the moment. Harbinger is the bomb; and with Personal Workshop you can actually stack triggers so that you get the Hayley install before Aesop’s eats the Harbinger, so that’s not a big downside for me. Single click to gain 6 credits over two turns, takes no memory, and can trigger or be triggered into? Sign me up! (I’m unimpressed with Cache)

Artist Colony/Fan Site are the big question marks going into this deck. At their worst, they’re Easy Mark to feed Aesop’s, while triggering Resource Hayley installs. (So far they’ve generally triggered themselves, or Personal Workshop, but that’s fine.) Having an active Artist Colony enables so much Shaper Bullshit, though. With the singleton Carapace, you’re now virtually unkillable as long as you have 4+ cards in hand to end the turn. They also let me find a Clot from deck, or else find a Clone Chip to get my Clot from heap, or a Harbinger to trigger Hayley so I can install Clot from my hand. Seriously. Artist Colony is in the dictionary under Shaper Bullshit.

I slotted Bank Job recently because the problem I was running into is that while getting 3 cred/turn off Aesop’s is Hella Good Economy, there wasn’t any way that I could stomp on the gas for a turn to get more money quickly. Bank Job is the most obvious to me, Armitage possibly but I want to be super-efficient with my clicks. Daily Casts is too slow. I haven’t had a chance to test it. I took out Street Peddler for it because I realized that I generally just want to install all the things. I don’t want Selection, I want Quantity. Thus, Drug Dealer stayed in and Street Peddler went out.

5 Likes

My old noise, before cache, was 2 bank job 3 armitage 3 casts with wyldside, can confirm that bank job is a hilarious splash into aesops decks.

1 Like

I like Artist Colony as a response to the News Team / Shi Kyu upswing.

yeah, I hear a lot about how fansite/artists colony is jank magnetism at work, but it seems very appealing in any aesops hayley - the ability if you get a couple triggered is just absolutely bonkers, and zero cost resource installs are usually welcome regardless

1 Like

I’ve been playing with a really crazy Kaplan, build around stealth and small breakers, drug dealer & pawnshop + Order of Sol, and feels really strong. Add tech writter, and you have a really cool way to play, after shutting down your drug guys.

You dont need money at all since you have stealth credits (ghost runner, lockpick, cloak, silencer…) and you usually dont need tons of credits for trashing assets, since you run Paricia (really good, since it cost 0, and it’s ok food for pawnshop). I think the way to go is having mid-expensive hardware / programs (like RDI, Cybersolutions memchip or Blackat) mixed with low cost (inti, cloak, lockpick or silencer) so you can fill Pworkshops with stuff and have flexibility to install things from your grip.

Artist Colony & Fan Site is kinda strong, but I think that combo belongs to davinci/wasteland builds (since you can install both on corp turns, and proc Wasteland).

1 Like