Hyperdriver - how best to leverage a 7+ click turn?

Even I won’t touch that pile of jank.

1 Like

that’s either faust or uber noise-mill with mass installs i reckon

Halfway reasonable? Probably not. 30% reasonable tops.

Ladies Faust

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (14)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
2x Forked (Order and Chaos)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Inject (Up and Over)
2x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
3x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ••••• •
2x Grimoire (Core Set)

Resource (14)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Duggar’s (First Contact)
2x Joshua B. (Cyber Exodus)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
3x Street Peddler (The Underway)

Icebreaker (3)
3x Faust (The Underway)

Program (9)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
3x Hyperdriver (The Underway) ••••• ••••
1x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Get set up, drop a medium, and burn down their R&D ICE with the cutlery and Faust. Keep hammering away and hope you win the Medium race before they re-ice and burn through your stack.

1 Like

There’s an incredibly obvious use for Hyperdriver. OR better yet, multiple hyperdrivers…

Wanton Destruction 13 cards out of Cerebral Imaging’s hand :wink:

3 Likes

Hyperdriver and mopus is… ok to speed up setup time. the real boost is to lend a bit of unpredicatability to your econ with mopus. just like PPVP Kate sure gambling for 7 credits, a popped mopus-driver lends a huge boost in econ with clicks left to run

you points about medium and keyhole are clutch, and they fall into the same category:

This is exactly it; the least exciting uses are the best. anytime you think, “aha, I’ve got you now!” you pop hyperdriver and suddenly your power turn is almost twice as powerful. The same goes for a mopus-bigrig shaper who wants to lock RnD (repeat runs not necessary) but still be able to threaten the remote at the drop of a hat: a couple hyperdrivers on a leprechaun hang the perpetual threat of 12-18 credits over the corps head.

1 Like

So far my testing agrees, hyperdriver is good in opus decks where you’re sure to get use out of it, if nothing else, opus-ing. Boring, but effective.

I’ve also taken to using it on remote-score turns vs RP, giving you better odds on beating psi that turn (more attempts at the same probability, or better if the corp runs out of gas).

I want to see the first time someone activates more than 1 hyperdriver in a turn :smiley:

I played a hyperdriver deck casually last night. One game I activated all 3 at once.

3 Likes

At our league last week, someone managed to pop 3 Hyperdrivers at once for a massive Eater/Keyhole turn. He won the game, although not that turn.

On the other hand, I won the tournament.

1 Like

Wow! What were they using for MU?

could have been in the heap and recurred.

The problem is, to use all three in a turn, all three have to be installed when the “beginning of turn” trigger condition is met. You can’t recur them one at a time. That means either 9+ MU, or leprechauns.

2 Likes

Monolith!

And some other stuff, I assume.

1 Like

For me it was 2 leprechauns.

Something that has been bugging me is whether Hyperdriver is worth building around. It’s 1 draw + 1 install + 1 credit to sacrifice for 3 clicks. At base efficiency that’s just postponing your clicks to be spent in one big turn.

Let’s assume some boosters to improve the quality of each click. Opus makes each click worth 2 credits. So that improves your gain to be half a click / 1 credit + the postponement. Not that great.

ProCon makes a click worth a credit and a draw. So that improves Hyperdriver to be a gain of 1 full click. So this could be something to explore?

I guess my question is whether it is worth the deck space to include a card which might only gain you around one click after boosters.
This is a question to decks which don’t plan on having a mega turn through Notoriety / Indexing / Medium / Keyhole / DLR / Quest Completed / Wanton Destruction / Gravedigger / Duggar’s / Day Job / Repeated Account Siphon / Au Revoir / Drive By / Unregistered S&W / Three Steps Ahead.

[quote=“Span_Argoman, post:76, topic:4418”]
Something that has been bugging me is whether Hyperdriver is worth building around. It’s 1 draw + 1 install + 1 credit to sacrifice for 3 clicks. At base efficiency that’s just postponing your clicks to be spent in one big turn.[/quote]
This is pretty much the most cited fallacy in all of netrunnerdom. A credit is not worth a click, not to any deck ever. Never mind factoring in cards like Kate, workshop, etc. Factoring in the click to draw is also way off base, as almost no deck draws entirely by clicking.

Also, stockpiling of resources is not a small side benefit to be brushed away. Work compression is a primary avenue to scoring and flatlining for just about every corp out there, so storing clicks to “decompress” your work on that critical turn when the 5/3 is on the table can be invaluable.

The only card necessary to make hyperdriver an easy slot is leprechaun. It can be a diesel, a sure gamble, even an icebreaker against bioroids, and so, so much more when you really need clicks on a critical turn. Is it a must slot in every deck? Hardly. But if your deck has any synergy at all with lep, this is an easy include imo.

7 Likes

I’ve been playing it out of Hayley, which covers some of those costs immediately.

here’s my current Hyperdriver nonsense out of Prepaid Kate. the idea is to use HD for big turns on Notoriety and/or events (multiple events and/or Day Job/Lucky Find) for a huge burst in cash/points. it’s all pretty standard, but i’m still fiddling with it.
one change i’ve already made is -1 Leprechaun +1 Atman
tried Comet, but i didn’t like the cost of it compared to Astrolabe and just keep going back to that console.

i really like Leprechaun in this. it allows hosting HD and SMC, freeing up MU for everything and still leaving an SMC for a troubleshooter like Atman/Parasite (or Sharpshooter, Deus X, etc. if you so choose to include it). there’s a few lower-cost programs/hardware, so i’m not really worried about Power Shutdown too much

Duchess Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (23)
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos) [color=#FF4500]•••[/color]
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) [color=#708090]••••• •[/color]
3x Notoriety (Trace Amount)
1x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (9)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
1x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (1)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (4)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]

Program (9)
1x Datasucker (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
3x Hyperdriver (The Underway)
2x Leprechaun i[/i]
1x Parasite (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

[quote=“voltorocks, post:77, topic:4418”]

[quote=“Span_Argoman, post:76, topic:4418”]
Something that has been bugging me is whether Hyperdriver is worth building around. It’s 1 draw + 1 install + 1 credit to sacrifice for 3 clicks. At base efficiency that’s just postponing your clicks to be spent in one big turn. [/quote]

This is pretty much the most cited fallacy in all of netrunnerdom. A credit is not worth a click, not to any deck ever. Never mind factoring in cards like Kate, workshop, etc. Factoring in the click to draw is also way off base, as almost no deck draws entirely by clicking. [/quote]

I noticed you missed that I mentioned base efficiency. You then proceeded to skip the rest of my post talking about how various cards increase the quality of clicks and thereby reducing the total click cost of playing this card. Also, when people are talking about using the extra clicks on Magnum Opus the click to draw is most definitely relevant as they could just have spent those clicks on Opus instead if they felt they really needed the credits. So mathematically at least it doesn’t seem like much of a gain. Game-wise I agree with you below.

This is a fair point, but I believe the current competitive Shaper decks don’t use Leprechaun. So you need to be able to fit in both Hyperdriver and Leprechaun into the deck and make both of them worth including. Whether that is indeed worth it remains to be seen, I think.

Right, forgot about Hayley. Hayley and ProCon improves Hyperdriver to be a gain of 1.5 clicks (ProCon -1, Hayley -0.5) which is pretty significant. Maybe I’ll try playing around with this in Hayley.