Imaginary Cards

You could also make it a resource (and perhaps up the cost slightly to compensate for relative permanence).

The real problem I can see is it wouldn’t affect agendas with “when scored” text anyway, since effects go active player-non-active player, so it only affects a handful of agendas that see serious play like Astro and GFI (which admittedly is not nothing).

(In fact, Fake News would make Breaking News more powerful. #pizzagate)

I’m fine with whatever wording gets it to do what I want it to do. The “instead of trashing” bit seems to do the trick.

The point is to make whatever agenda is scored or stolen blank. I may be not hitting the wording correctly to achieve that.

I think the current would give the corp some interesting choices. Do I score out a BN or go for a Beale to just clear the current.

The Runner would have to decide if playing it was worth it if they only hit something like a Vitruvius.

A list of common agendas this would hit:
Astro
Breaking News
GFI
An overscored Beale, Atlas, Vitruvius (Braintrust techninally)
ABT
Corporate Sales Team
Hostile Takeover
Geothermal Fracking
15 Minutes
Niseii Mk II
House of Knives.

It’s like a Rumor mill for Agendas. And if a current doesn’t work, it could always be a resource like Fan Site.

I think you miss my meaning. What I’m saying is that this card doesn’t prevent “when scored” triggers as currently written. If the corp scores a Breaking News, the tag-giving trigger happens before the agenda gets blanked. (And agendas that get agenda counters would still get them, though they’d likely do nothing.) On top of that, the tag-removing effect would get blanked, making the tags permanent much like with Exchange of Information.

There is an easy way to solve this problem: change the phrasing to “The text box of agendas scored or stolen while Fake News is in effect are blank.” Then it’s not a trigger and would go ahead of BN or whatever. And by the time the current-fizzling trigger resolves, the window for the “when scored trigger has passed”. It’s like the interaction between Employee Strike and Titan Transnational.

But that would create the opposite problem of only lasting as long as the current is in play, i.e. for the when-scored window. Hence, a resource, rather than a current. You’d need a kind of clumsy phrasing, though, like:

“When scored” triggers of agendas the corp scores don’t trigger.
When an agenda is scored or stolen, add Fake News as a hosted condition counter with the text “This agenda’s text box is blank.”

Planned Obsolesence
Weyland Operation - Current
1 cost - 3 influence

(standard current text)

At the beginning of your turn, place 1 power counter on Planned Obsolesence.

click, trash: Name a Program or Hardware with install cost less than or equal to the number of power counters on Planned Obsolesence. Trash all installed copies of that card.

8 Likes

Torappu
Jinteki Asset - Ambush
0 cost - 2 Inf

If Torappu is accessed from R&D the Runner must reveal it.

If you pay 3 credits when the runner accesses Torappu, the Runner takes net damage equal to the number of cards in their grip. You randomly discard one card for every net damage dealt by Torappu. The Runner may jack out after accessing Torappu. Ignore this effect if the Runner accesses Torappu from Archives.

1 Like

Ooh, as long as we’re putting paid abilities on currents, maybe something for Weyland rush:

Defense Research Funding - 0c
Operation: Current
[current text]
When you score a non-security agenda, take 1 bad publicity.
[click]: Advance a card. Gain 1c.
Weyland ●●○○○

As long as that timing lets it clear the bad pub with Veterans Program when scoring.

2 Likes

What’s the intention of this over, say Snare? Are you looking to shut down a Legwork run by trashing HQ? Or give the Jinteki player more to consider than “Do I have the credits?” when it comes to firing an ambush?

1 Like

It’s major use is as a to shut down large hand size and Obelus from a constant R&D dig. I’ve found that Obelus with Medium enables a deep dig without much fear against traditional 1000 cuts style decks.

This would force the runner to sit back and recover, and it would be unlikely they are unable to immediately kill the Runner afterwards because they lose cards from HQ as well.

1 Like

How about something like:

New Runner ID - Shaper
45 - 12 influence - 0 link

When your turn begins, you may add an installed program to your grip and gain credits equal to the install cost of that program.

So like a runner equivalent of blue sun. Too OP with david, femme, dog breakers?

I still like my aggressive facechecking even as it becomes more dangerous, so I thought of a few cards that might help with that. There are some simple concepts there, so sorry if any of these is pretty much the same as something from an earlier post; it’s kind of a long thread to go back through from the beginning.

Proxy Pinball - 1
Operation: Run
Make a run. You have +4[link] during this run.
"Just remember to always edit yourself out of the log in your first access point when you’re done."
Shaper - ●○○○○

Mayfly - 2
Operation: Run
Make a run. You are considered to have an AI installed during this run for the purposes of card effects.
3c: Break up to 2 subroutines on a piece of ice with strength less than or equal to the number of unused MU you have.
Criminal - ●●○○○

Emergency Cut Off Switch - 0
Hardware
[trash]: End the run.
Neutral - ○○○○○

2 Likes

Capitol Hill Grid
Upgrade-Region-Political
Weyland
Rez: 2
Trash: 7

The runner must steal agendas from this server, if able.

Because screw you, Film Critic NACH!

2 Likes

Filibuster - 1
Resource - Virtual
Shaper - •
At the end of any turn in which you spent seven or more clicks, gain 1c.
“Time is money, and I’ve got all the time in the world.” -Hayley Kaplan

1 Like

There’s no way this card is good, but still. Maybe add it to your score area as an agenda worth 1 pt? Probably too degenerate.

This card is such a good concept. It’s very criminal, powerful yet elegant, and feels so right. Really good job with this one.

3 Likes

Thanks! I just wanted something that’s not terribly efficient and doesn’t invalidate big ice, but gets you through gear check ice, komainu, etc. I was inspired by Cold Read’s handling of credits, since the run event starts in play until the run ends. Why not paid abilities on run events?

Carlos Perez - Runner ID - Anarch
45 - 10 influence - 0 link

When your turn begins, you may select 1 piece of ICE. Subroutines on that ICE may be broken by paying 1 credit and taking 1 tag.

You may find me, but you’ll wish you never did!

Dinero - Hardware - Console - Anarch
3 Install - 3 Influence
At the end of each turn, gain credits equal to the number of tags you took during that turn.

An Eye for an Eye - Event - Current - Anarch
2 Play Cost - 3 Influence
The first time you take a tag each turn, you make take an additional tag and give the Corp a Bad Publicity.

Leaving Nothing Behind - Resource - Anarch
5 Install - 3 Influence
[click][click][trash] Make a run on a server with at least 1 piece of unrezzed ICE. Before encountering the first piece of ICE protecting this server, name code gate, barrier or sentry. If an unrezzed ICE is rezzed during the run that matches the named subtype, trash any number of ICE protecting this server and take 2 tags for each ICE trashed.

It’s a much better version of an idea I’ve had for a while. Great for Adam, although it should probably say “For the duration of the run, you may use the following paid ability.” somewhere.

Military Connections
Current-Transaction
Weyland
Inf: 3
Play: 1

The runner cannot install more than 1 of each type of card per turn.

No one in, no one out.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it’s in play, so it should be valid. If anything, if they make a card like this, I’d think it would be added as a rules clarification (at least 2 weeks after people have argued back and forth about whether or not the card is allowed to actually do anything at all), so that you could have more future paid abilities on run events without needing extra text on all of them.