[Jesminder Sareen] No, Masanori Doesn't Work

It’s better than that. Clicks on Siphon turns are worth more than other clicks. You can’t really math this one out like that.
You can siphon 2x in one turn and still detag for example.

3 Likes

Hmm, I will consider myself corrected on this one; especially given that with the Astro errata I expect tagging NBN (including many of the cards you mentioned) to fill some of that void in the meta. I still suspect that another ID might be “best” but I definitely concede that this ID is probably a lot more relevant than it seemed to me at first.

1 Like

I feel like you can cut Corroder and just play Inti + Atman for fracters right now. Frees up some influence to play Plop which is a pretty crucial card. Or a Lady and a Plop, that seems better than Corroder

1 Like

Looking for some casual play Jessminder thoughts.

How do the cards that came out with her in the Mumbad cycle work together to create a flavor-ful deck about political intrigue?

Freedom through Equality
Liberated Chela
Akshara Sareen
Populist Rally
The Price of Freedom
Etc.

Akshara Sareen is a must play here as she is the sister of Jessminder and the victim on The Price of Freedom. She is a dangerous card to play because she turns every Corp into a Fast Advance deck. How do you mitigate that or turn that into an advantage?

This is all crazy, I know. I’m just trying to think about fun ways to play cards that don’t usually get to see the table.

Regarding Akshara Sareen, you should probably play an Opus based econ +

• the full SacClot suite

• Film critic + The Source (+fansite / artist colony for tutoring).

It’s not great but I think it’s the best it could be (Beth + Akshara with Opus can be devastating for the corp but often the fourth corp’s click is still better).

1 Like

Fansite also gives you a 0-point agenda to sacrifice with Liberated Chela. Alternatively, you can use Akshara’s extra click to make Notoriety more accessible, maybe even playing 2 or more in a turn. Those, plus Freedom Through Equality and Liberated Chela, can give your deck a “bonus points” focus, getting half your points from your own cards rather than stealing agendas.

Populist Rally seems like it should work to counteract the advantage you’re giving the corp with Akshara Sareen, but since you’re using your extra click and losing a card and credits to do it, it’s generally worse than just not playing Akshara in the first place, unless you’re good at reading when your opponent will best be able to use the 4th click. You can also use it on the same turn you sacrifice Akshara with Price of Freedom (or some other means) to give the corp a 2-click turn. Also, Shaper has no Seedy cards for it, so you’d need to grab Data Dealer or an Anarch card; Scrubber and Street Peddler are your low-influence options there, and as connections you could use them as alternative costs for The Price of Freedom.

Freedom Through Equality is good if you know you can grab an agenda; it pairs well with Spy Camera (might work with Jesminder’s theme) and Find the Truth (which could kind of work with her theme if you look at it as a compulsion rather than a programmed directive). There’s also Deep Thought, which is a little awkward but works off of Jesminder’s R&D runs and is in faction. It also helps if you have surprise multi-access (Legwork, The Maker’s Eye) or a way to get into a remote the corp just thought they could safely put an agenda in (Stimhack). Most of those cost influence, though, and I’m not sure they’re entirely worth it for what you want to do.

The Price of Freedom is obviously there to close out a scoring window and/or turn off Akshara. It’s a bit odd for theme, but you could PoF Akshara and then install a new Akshara from hand, to let the corp have 4 clicks without a scoring window.

I think Akshara needs some anti-FA support, too. Options include Clot, The Price of Freedom, the Source, Traffic Jam, and Chakana. Clot and the Source are probably the most reliable if you can protect them, although Chakana might be interesting with Deep Thought since they both trigger off R&D runs. Maya gives you the memory and the R&D bonus effect to go with them, too.

1 Like

I too have been working on a flavor Jesminder. I haven’t quite got the deck built but I have been tossing around the same cards. Akshara, Chela, Fan Site to stall or bait agendas early game. Clot to deny key scores, and Price of Freedom for closing.

The deck needs heavy draw, and probably Mopus+Vamp. That’s a lot of ask for in a deck, but I’ve been kicking it around as a fun idea for a while. Will probably sit down and work on it after New Year’s.

I took this list to King of Subways and did pretty anemically, 2-3. As you can probably see from the list, I didn’t really go all in on Jess’s ability.

Vamp is a cute Jess card, but it’s not like you are vamping a bunch of times in a game, so you aren’t saving that much by being Jess. That said, you really want to make the most out of turns you vamp, so not worrying about the click was certainly very nice.

Being Jess certainly gives you more jusitification to play Maya, and playing Maya certainly supports Magnum Opus economy, and Magnum Opus economy certainly pairs well with Vamp. So there is synergy there.

The thing I was most impressed by Jess, though, is how often in games you are pleasantly surprised by the incidental utility of her ability. A lot of NBN ice is absolute garbage against Jess where it is a huge nuisance against anyone else. She was probably a particularly bad choice for KoS where I was guaranteed to see a field that was at most 33% NBN.

That said, Jessminder is at the very least a good option to keep in mind if you are going up against NBN and you have a rebirth in hand. IP Block, Data Ward, Gutenberg, and Data Raven do a lot less when Mirror Mode is on.

I played against a SYNC deck last night at a GNK that would have been an absolute cake-a-walk-a with Jes. My main runner is stealth Kit, but I’m going to try switching it to Kate and adding rebirth for the influence, econ bump, and ability to activate mirrormode for otherwise really painful match-ups (or Smoke for the added stealth?). Thanks for the inspiration!

Attempt at making a Jesminder deck, one worry that I had was being MU blocked. Any ideas to improve the deck would be more than welcome.

Jesminder

Jesminder Sareen: Girl Behind the Curtain

Event (19)
2x Account Siphon ●●●●● ●●●
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Injection Attack
1x Levy AR Lab Access
2x Modded
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (4)
2x Clone Chip
2x Maya

Resource (13)
1x Aesop’s Pawnshop
2x Armitage Codebusting
2x Beth Kilrain-Chang
3x Daily Casts
1x Professional Contacts
3x Same Old Thing
1x Temüjin Contract ●●

Icebreaker (5)
2x Atman
1x Battering Ram
1x Gordian Blade
1x Mimic ●

Program (4)
2x Datasucker ●●
2x Self-modifying Code

13 influence spent (max 15, available 2)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Blood Money

1 Like

Might want to post on the Jes topic thread: [Jesminder Sareen] No, Masanori Doesn't Work

Some quick thoughts:

• I like the combination of datasucker + atman/mimic + injection attack: seems like a cool way to get surprise remote hits.
  • Professional Contacts should probably be 3x if you have it in your deck: you really want to see it early so that you can benefit from it throughout your setup.
  • What situation are you hitting where you run out of MU? What’s your ideal final rig? Is it just the problem of hitting 5 MU and then needing to install an SMC or Battering Ram to finish your rig? Or are you trying to have an atman + sucker setup PLUS normal breakers? Maybe replacing Battering Ram and one clone chip with Lady and Inti would be worth looking at-- Inti deals with vanilla and wraparound very efficiently, and you’ve got injection attack for a boost if needed. It could also be the case that you find it helpful to sort of “evolve” your rig throughout the game, starting with normal breakers and then swapping in Atmans (atmen?) when you know what the ice is like.
  • Not sure what Aesop’s is in here for.
  • Modded seems a little weak here. Not terrible, but spending 2 slots for a modest econ bump on ~6 of your other installs doesn’t seem very impactful.

I would try something like:

• Drop Battering Ram and 1 clone chip, add Lady and Inti
  • Drop 2 modded, add 2 professional contacts
  • Drop Aesop’s, add Armitage (when in doubt, add econ)

seems fun, good luck!

1 Like