[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

I wouldn’t cut one nexus. Kate would play 3 if influence permitted. Play one inti. Problem solved.

To Plas or not to Plas that is the question. Additionally, if you are going to use it, how many?

@nungunz: Grail ICE, while annoying, is also predictable. Because it takes a lot of influence, you can make reasonable guesses on what the remaining ICE in the deck is. This makes a pre-emptive Atman at 1 to deal with Galahad my usual plan of action. Mimic will likely break all the sentries in the deck (certainly Lancelot). Merlin is easier to play around with the high rez cost. The high rez cost also means they won’t likely get multiple rezzed, making Cyber Cypher an ideal answer. Add in the fact that you can still use Nexus to great effect, and I haven’t had a ton of trouble with Grail. Admittedly all the testing was pre-MWL, but I still suspect Atman 1 will help a ton.

@JTG81: That is a purely meta question that really only you can answer. I think Plascrete is the definite choice above any other Meat Damage prevention, but how many to use depends entirely on how much kill you expect to see. I will likely be playing 2 until I see Haarp or other 24/7 kill decks fall out of favor. Playing only 1 and 1 Trade-in didn’t feel like enough even when Utopia was still in the deck.

Been working with Mason a lot to champion this deck. You’ve stated that you didn’t want to cut Faust, I have cut Faust and haven’t missed it too much. By keeping Faust in what did you decide to drop instead of for the influence?

1 Like

It really depends on what I see people playing. I haven’t been testing at all post MWL, and I’ll probably wait till the dust settles to start (especially since I will miss almost all of SC season). If you’re going off the last published list, instinctively I’d go -1 Clone Chip, -1 Utopia, -1 Stimhack, -1 Mimic to open up the inf for 2 Clone Chip and 1 Lady. Mimic is in there just because Architect is such a pain, and I suspect we’ll see less of it.

If there is a resurgence of Rototurret and Jinteki sentries then I’ll probably cut something different. It could be that Faust is the right cut, but the meta would have to look pretty spectacularly different from pre-MWL for me to go there. At that point there’s a good chance that Nexus Kate isn’t the deck I want to be playing at all.

Well, this is her last hurrah, but here’s my current anti-Foodcoats list. It did very well at the huge Dark Sphere SC against foodcoats (5-0), but my Corp play let me down when I lost the win-and-in against Youtube caster bewnt in Round 6.

Cheeky Notoriety Kate, the Foodcoats Slayer, 11th London SC

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (20)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Escher (Creation and Control)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) [color=#708090]••••• •[/color]
1x Notoriety (Trace Amount)
1x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (5)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]

Program (5)
1x Clot (The Valley) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) [color=#FF4500]••••[/color]
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

5 Likes

Did you play against Foodcoats five times? I think the inclusion of Notoriety is brilliant, as the last point is always such a pain to score. Why another RDI over TME though? I have not played the matchup too much, but I feel TME is a stronger choice due to the fact that I often got in once, thanks to David, but could not establish an R&D lock properly, even with RDI.

It’s common for Food to run 1-2 Crisiums, and the second RDI really helps there. I think a 2/2 split is a solid choice.

5 Likes

Yeah, I played 5 foodcoats at the SC.

If you’re only getting in once, you’re overusing David, and underusing clicks/paying off assasin/Ichi 2.0 traces

I’ll try to keep that in mind, as I said I haven’t practiced the matchup too much.

Here’s a Proco/Aesops decklist that I’ve been working on. It feels faster than ProCo alone, and I think this mixed economy might be close to where Shaper is going post MWL. None of the choices are very complicated. I’m still working on the numbers, and I’d love to find more space for a second Modded. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/rvGWdp497y2j7J5tA/

1 Like

no room for tech writers in that list?

It doesn’t really need them.

1 Like

yea but they become stimhacks in the late game especially if you are levying and recycling caches

They are nice to have. I did like that Book of Kate deck. ProCo takes their spot here in order to smooth out plays; could swap proco for writers and play a couple Quality Times, but I haven’t fiddled with that.

I have been playing with a Kate Doubles deck for MWL meta. So far it looks quite promising.

Only 9 doubles, but all are good. The deck has a very strong card draw, and Power Nap is powerhouse mid- to late- game.

The deck also should be pretty fast, as you don’t need to setup any econ engine. Just a SMC and couple econ cards is all that is needed.

Kate’s Revenge

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey Digital Tinker
12 influence spent (max 15-3=12) ••••••••••••
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Event (25)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Game Day
1x Levy AR Lab Access
3x Lucky Find ••••• •
3x Power Nap
2x Quality Time
2x Scavenge
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (7)
2x Astrolabe
2x Clone Chip ☆☆
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface

Resource (6)
3x Daily Casts
2x Same Old Thing
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (4)
1x Atman
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 ☆
1x Gordian Blade
1x Mimic •

Program (4)
1x D4v1d ••••
3x Self-modifying Code

You’re using game day to draw maybe 4 cards, if you start your turn with 1? 2 clicks and 1 credit for 4 cards isn’t so great, even if it’s powering power nap. I’ve been down this road, it leads to a dark place friend.

5 Likes

I agree with @x3r0h0ur, Game Day is pretty lame on its own. But paired up with Beach Party, it can draw a lot of cards. Add Adjusted Chronotype and you can keep your click. Double down with Gene Conditioning Shoppe and you can even use Starlight Crusade funding (or a second Beach Party).

Now toss Faust into the mix and you can really set your deck on fire! (warning 2-3 LARLA recommended assuming the corp doesn’t just score out while you set this jank up)

I don’t know if this is the dark place @x3r0h0ur was talking about, but it’s the one I went to. Just say No to Game Day

1 Like

Thanks for feedback. So far I have felt OK to play Game Day for 4 cards. I view it like playing I’ve Had Worse to draw 3 and then clicking for 1 more card, which seems decent to me.
But yes, it is the weakest card in the deck and is usually the first to discard when overdrawing with Quality time…