[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

I’m more concerned by the NBN Scorch deck than by the Weyland one when it comes to the menace of double scorch.
A Breaking News can be scored from hand with one astro token and a Sansan or with Two astro token. And after that, if you don’t have the plascrete, you’re pretty much done. I havent been double scorched by a Weyland for a long while but i’ve done my share of flatline in NBN against cocky runners who think they could be safe by having more creds than me.

Really? I think these are a very small faction of NBN decks because Scorch is such a lot of influence to commit. One copy to keep the honest? Maybe. Two? You’ve got to be looking for a dedicated kill really to justify that, and that is never a robust strategy even for factions that can do it well. It’s unreliable and too easily countered by a card that is 2-3x in 95% of top decks.

It’s better out of Weyland because SEA Source is less influence and Scorch is in-faction. The trace on SEA Source plays to Weyland’s economic strength and deck search is a theme for Weyland too, so it’s easier to find missing combo pieces with Project Atlas.

I agree there’s a bit more surprise value from NBN and you have a point about not needing a boat load of credits to land the tag. But I don’t think these are robust decks for the latter stages of a tournament. After I see your deck in the swiss stage (or my mate tells me about it over lunch or whatever) I know exactly how to play against it in the elimination rounds. Your win percentage drops very low at that point.

Maybe in the future out of the new “Near Earth Hub” identity - it has more influence and the additional card draw will get combo pieces into play quicker.

1 Like

Looking at my list, I think what I cut for the Atman was actually the third Quality Time. Whoops. I also run 2x SOT / 3x Clone Chip whereas @Lysander runs the reverse, but I see that as a metagame call based on how badly you need to recur your Deus X, Sharpshooter, or Parasite. AP ice is all over the place in my meta, so for me the answer is “very badly;” if I don’t see Clone Chips it can (and has) cost me games. Two of the better players in my meta are even looking at Corporate Troubleshooter in Red Coats and HBFA as a way of hurting players who rely on DX when running aggressively. One of them got me with it recently.

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (23)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••

Hardware (9)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
2x Deus X (A Study in Static)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (4)
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

I’ve been running this list for a couple of months now, so I feel like I’m ready for the post-Datasucker metagame. :wink:

The swaps I’m considering at the moment are one Maker’s Eye for either a Levy or an Indexing, but so far I haven’t made any changes.

1 Like

Looking at your list, I can’t see neither Atman nor 3rd QT :).

Edit:
My current version drops Test Runs altogether. I usually need Femme before Test Run + Scavenge combo is available and from this point drawing a Test Run makes me sad. How about doing this to your list: -2 Test Run +1 SOT +1 Levy

Another tuning move might be -1 Deus +1 Atman, but I guess it’s not for you if the meta forces you to run 2x deus.

1 Like

Wow, I’m losing it. I’ll have to go look at my actual deck later today and see what’s in it. I know there’s an Atman.

I have been running at least one CT in all my H-B dex since Regionals 2013. I never regret it. In HBFA, they make mistake it for SanSan; Red Coats opponents smell an ASH. If they see/trash it from R&D or HQ, they now have another fear to worry about, and may not run until they have significantly more cash.

Straight up, it was won me many games, including helping me sweep World Champ Jens in the fourth round of Swiss at Worlds. I saw him toss a Corroder, and set the bait. CT/Roto broke his onboard Corroder, and he was essentially done.

One of my all-time fave cards.

re: your list
I like it. Glad to see people coming around on LARLA. It’s too good not to have as a one-off backup. Can always be thrown away and SOT’d back in. What about cutting to 1 Plas? Is that even in the discussion?

(you running this at the MN Regional?)

1 Like

We had agreed Dino and Atman fulfill similar roles, with different pros/cons.

Also, to NBN Scorch naysayers, I’m kind of surprised nobody (unless I missed it) has mentioned how perfect it is for the new identity. Increased influence and drawing ability? Yes please.

1 Like

Not to get off topic, but everyone is on the DDRT train right now with that ID. In either case, NBN scorch always worries me, I played against 4 flavors of nbn scorch at the last regional, and I think 2 at the chicago regional.

Scorch would have killed me, bad times wouldn’t have done anything. I like plascretes for now.

4 Likes

I actually thought about this today. While Dino can take care of either Elis or Ichis, Atman eats both. I’d include one for this reason.

I thought this was obvious enough to remain unspoken. :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

I commented on this in another thread.

I’m not playing in the MN regional due to a prior commitment, sadly, but that does mean all of my testing and every small tournament from now to August is entirely for Nationals prep. I’ve got the alt EtF I wanted to win in season one, so I have no other considerations beyond settling on decks and getting a lot of reps in.

I tend to think of Plascrete as a zero or two in this deck, at least until the hardware tutor arrives. I see NBN Scorch around every once in a while. I’m open to discussion, though - I’d love to get those deck slots back and it’s been a long time since I actually needed a Plascrete against anyone other than NBN Scorch.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just a gamble to go without. Tough call.

You hitting Wausau? It’s close, and the weekend after MN.

I’m keeping that weekend open for a potential MTG: Conspiracy draft with friends, but if they bail and others from the Twin Cities are going, I may do it.

1 Like

Okay, I got my deck and counted my cards. The actual list I’ve been playing for the last couple of months is:

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (23)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••

Hardware (9)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
2x Deus X (A Study in Static)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)
1x Atman (Creation and Control

Program (4)
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

I use a single Test Run since I already have 3x SMC, and Scavenges are good for Dino + anything, Cyber-Cypher, or Femme. The second Scavenge slot has been Escher, Tinkering, and Levy at various points, and I love all three of those cards. Tinkering is bonkers with Cyber-Cypher, but given that Femme and Dino want Scavenge support along with Cyber-Cypher, there just wasn’t room.

I also used to run Indexing and loved it, but I felt like with the switch to VoicePAD econ and Lucky Find I didn’t want to be committing to make multiple runs in one turn several times each game.

Possible changes:

• -1x The Maker’s Eye, +1x Indexing or +1x Levy AR Lab Access
  • -2x Plascrete Carapace, +ZOMG TWO SLOTS IN THIS DECK IS LIKE CHRISTMAS
2 Likes

My thinking is you should do a bunch of testing without Plascretes in matchups where they are not useless and see how much you miss them.

1 Like

I really should. I’ve been too chicken do that so far, despite not having installed one since April.

I’ve lost to meat damage in that time, but it’s been to surprise Punitives (out of HB, from the same guy who got me with that Corporate Troubleshooter) and one surprise double Dedicated Response Team plus Snare (from an FFG employee, no less, who won the tourney and twisted the knife by taking the alt Kate as his prize). Plascrete doesn’t help in those cases because I’m not expecting meat damage.

Okay, okay. Plascretes are out. +1 Levy, +1… Quality Time? Same Old Thing? Indexing?

1 Like

How about 1 Escher, and swap one of the legworks out for a planned assault? Then you can tutor for Escher, makers eye, or legwork, whichever you happen to need. Heck, swap out one makers eye for an indexing and you have even more options.

Would it be completely stupid to add 1 Kati if you’re dropping both plascretes? I would like it against glacier and the money race with Weyland and it would help with bad econ draws…but would you just be better off using those clicks drawing with this deck? Would it potentially slow you down too much?

@aerosaucer Levy will help with sustaining econ and with other things also. I vote “no” for Kati.

Does it pull it’s weight? Do you use it for anything except Femme?