l5r - ffg lcg - 2017 gencon

I think they’ll go about Mantis and Spider clan in the same way they did Tyranids and Necrons in Conquest and make them a deluxe box addition.

Lion, crane, crab, Phoenix, dragon, scorpion, and unicorn being the original great clans is more than enough for a core set.

1 Like

Technically Scorpion didn’t get added till Shadowlands. Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Unicorn where the original clans in Imperial Edition.

1 Like

I’d be genuinely surprised if Scorp doesn’t make it into the core set. A lot of people really like them.

2 Likes

I had forgotten that they weren’t added until the first expansion. I haven’t played since 2008.

I am very excited for this game! Just reading through this thread has reminded me of all the reasons why I enjoyed L5R.

I grew up playing L5R as my only real CCG, and I ultimately left it because I just couldn’t keep up with the cost. I went to one big tournament and was frustrated that I wasn’t able to really stand a big chance because I was missing some of the most expensive cards.

The LCG model was the entire reason I fell in love with Netrunner. I love creating decks and tweaking them to make them shine. I could never really afford to do that with L5R as a CCG. I also couldn’t easily switch between my 2-3 top favorite decks, because I couldn’t afford to buy the best cards for each faction.

I think L5R will appeal to a lot of people who love Netrunner, because I think a lot of the core game features will translate well. I think Influence as a mechanic would work well for setting limits on how many out-of-faction cards you can have in a deck. The ability to influence the creation of cards or game flavors is a lot like being able to create a card for winning ANR Worlds. Bowing cards in L5R was a mechanic very much like tapping resources in MtG, or Netrunner cards that can only be used 1/turn. I still think of “bowing” Kati Jones when I use her. :wink:

I expect that FFG would reduce the minimum deck sizes, which would help speed up the game a little and reduce the impact of variance. I also think the military sequence would need to change. Imagine how Netrunner would feel if you determined success of a run by adding up the strength of all the Corp’s ice vs. the sum of all the runner’s program strength, and the losing side (even by 1 strength) gets trashed in its entirety. If they tie, trash everything. That’s essentially how combat worked. That felt extreme to me and led to “win more” outcomes. I much prefer Netrunner’s emphasis on resource management over the course of a game.

4 Likes

Has it been six months already? I want news about this game so, so badly.

4 Likes

I know, its a little over a year out and nothing spoiled yet. I hope its still on target for GenCon 2017 release. Do we know who the primary designers even are?

As far as I know FFG hasn’t revealed anything. I guess it’s a bit too far out to try to start the hype train. Don’t cut the ribbon until you have something to show off, etc.

4 Likes

Oh, you. :smirk:

2 Likes