Megadig on R&D

If my good friend @RonZacapa and the world champ himself @mediohxcore ask for a decklist, who am I to refuse.

This is the deck I played in the SC in Hasselt and finished 2nd after @mtgred.

How to get a table in your face

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (18)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
1x Amped Up (Order and Chaos)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (4)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)
2x Chop Bot 3000 (Order and Chaos)

Resource (15)
3x Wyldside (Core Set)
2x Joshua B. (Cyber Exodus)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) ••••• ••••• ••
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Fall Guy (Double Time) •••
1x Investigative Journalism (Order and Chaos)

Icebreaker (1)
1x Darwin (Future Proof)

Program (12)
2x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Incubator (The Source)
2x Hivemind (Order and Chaos)

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

The basic idea

Mulligan for a personal workshop and if possible some draw like wyldside. You need the draw to get all the programs on the workshop and to find a blackmail asap. The only program that you have to install is the incubator and hopefully when the grimoire is already in play. There are a 2 other cards that are nice to have when you make your big run: Chopbot and joshua.
The big run:

1. Get clicks (chopbot the wyldside, joshuaB, amped up?)
  2. Get your hivemind from the workshop with two tokens (from itself and grimoire)
  3. Boost your hivemind with surge and incubator
  4. Blackmail R&D and get your mediums of the workshop (save yourself a cred with the bad pub)
  5. Ask nicely to see the first 30+ cards of their deck
  6. Win

Note: If your opponent overdrawed heavily with jackson, check the archives before you run.

Special includes

Chopbot: It’s just there to sell your wyldside and get your click back.
Djinn: A late addition to the deck, but an important one. Even with the draw you won’t always find all your combopieces. Use djinn to search for the virusses. You need a hivemind and three mediums asap to complete the pressure on the corp. It is also nice if you need a nerve agent or darwin in specific cases.
Darwin: If they are able to rez ice or remove the bad pub a 10+ strength darwin will do the job.
Nerve agent: Try not to show this beauty. With the blackmail it becomes harder to score (rush) in a remote, so agendas may pile up in their hand. Also some players will try to secure enough points in HQ to counter the megadig when they see hivemind and 3 mediums. Just install it, incubator/surge it, blackmail their hand for points and to delay the corp.
Surge: MVP of the deck. As my opponents called it ‘a nasty surprise’. They understand they have to purge to reset the timebomb of incubator, but drawing the purges is a timebomb you can’t purge.
Fall guy: With a workshop loaded with 5+ programs, it may not be killed by a E. Mills or a breaking news. And during the megadig use them as creds to be able to steal napd.

Matchups

Glacier: Blackmail advanced cards, or double blackmail trough an ashe. Go for the megadig. Be aware of atlascounters since they can remove 3-pointers out of R&D. If possible follow up with nerve agent.
FA: Don’t check defended non-advanced remotes. You can outrun a corp that needs 2 turns to ballsy score agendas and keep up their econ. You might wanna go hybrid against decks like NEH. Just install some mediums and surge one of them and then blackmail. If they purge install hivemind, surge and blackmail. Install incubator, load hivemind, … The idea is to R&D lock them to see 10-15 new cards a time while stealing the agendas. It’s hard but doable.

Variation

-You might wanna try it with Maxx for even more draw and a smaller deck. Just use darwin and parasite for the megadig instead of blackmail. But you will lose the hybrid option and the pressure on the remotes vs glacier.

12 Likes

This sounds amazing :smiley:
I have to try it now!

I imagine Eliz Mills can be a problem for this deck, but darwin isn’t a horrible way to get around that. I’d be interested to know how often D4v1d really comes into a game; it’s a good card, but I imagine last resort. There’s no way to fetch it, so you either draw it and it has marginal value or its a dead slot. Surge is a card I hadn’t really considered for a deck like this, but it does make sense. Overall, I like the look of it. I’m a little heavier into blackmail and a little lighter on viruses, but the general theme remains the same. I’m a slower drip using virus breeding ground+progenetor+medium. That’s the whole package; with eater/keyhole on the side and the silverware. I like having multiple vectors. This is good though at what it does.

My biggest worry is that because of decks like this we’re going to see more cyberdex virus suite being played, especially once clot comes on line. So you set up this whole big dig, you get ready to access, and then they rez and pop their suite and you see 1 card. That’s why I personally go the progentor route (I’ll get to see 2 cards, as opposed to the 1 and rather than winning in a single turn, I’ll do it over the course of 5 or 6. Leaves me weaker to fast advance, but stronger for when people start preparing for the all in attack.

All that said, congrats on your win. Valencia is the deck that catches the unprepared meta and just trounces it. You don’t play it RegAss, imo, because stuff like this is just so much more fun. I think you made a solid meta-call. We’ll just have to try to figure out how to make the whole thing more robust as the meta adapts.

Needs SoT!

I love this :). We’ve tried a lot of blackmail recursion style Valencia decks and found them to be surprisingly good, but this seems like a whole new level :). Seems like RP would be brutal, though, since you’d still have to pay for the NAPDs/TFPs!

Cyberdex is the megacounter, but it isn’t really played around here, when clot hits the table this deck will be rubbish, i aggree.

I used D4V1D once to kill a bootcamp behind a rezzed orion. It is a counter against OAI and especially ITdept.

And yes it needs SoT. I tottaly aggree :stuck_out_tongue:

RP is hard but PE is worse, yet I made a good metacall because there was no Jinteki.

1 Like

I’m 2xing Cyberdex in many of my decks at this point. To be able to score around Chakana, disrupt a big dig or turn off archive runs for counters. It’s a good enough card that I don’t see a reason not to run it. It’s also great throwing it on R&D or HQ or into a remote when there’s a parasite on the board and forcing a reset of the clock for Eli or Tollbooth. Tossing it when they run into an ichi last click with only a mimic & sucker installed… etc. So ends the I love Cyberdex paragraph.

Thanks for sharing. I’ll grief a few people online so that flipped tables stay soundly away from my nose.

2 Likes

How do you afford to pay for things?

Daily Casts nets you 5 each over several turns. Are you just basically drawing until you have enough casts and Sure Gambles to pay for everything? I assume you aren’t running R&D at all, until you do your Blackmail run, so is it just draw and click for creds until you hit minimum required cash?

Are you playing the IHW as draw cards primarily? I’d think the only times you’d need them are if you’re hitting Jinteki R&D, to keep you alive against Fetals and the like. I can’t see you getting tagged and scorched with this, since you’re probably not running at all

Incubator doesn’t gain tokens while it’s on PW, right? Since it’s not installed?

Have you ever actually been stabbed while playing this?

Did you test/consider Stimhack? A stimm’ed run on Archives/random remote prior to your R&D explosion could pay for everything you need.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Maxx version of this. It’s faster, but it can’t threaten remotes, so it just needs to win before they score out. I’ll post the list later.

What do I need to pay? Most of the things are just on the workshops (not unique). The most expensive stuff is installing an incubator. The fall guys are nice too. The one or two you have installed, you can just pop them and you will have enough money for the big run. Never felt that the deck needed more econ, because you never pay for ice or assets. Stimhack is also dangerous with the brain. You don’t wan’t to lose the last blackmail and you need your clicks to get an even bigger run.

IHW is nice against PE, but if you’re not playing against them just use them as draw. Even with wyldside you never see enough cards. More cards equal more money, more surges, more blackmails, more pieces,…

Like I said, this is the only program you have to hard install, otherwhise incubator won’t do anything. Yet it can be nice to host it on workshop, if you have another one with quite some tokens and expect a purge. After the purge pay the remaining creds to install at the end of their turn :slight_smile: .

I’ve also had some success with this archetype. Here is my list:

Valencia big dig

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe

Event (12)
3x Blackmail
3x I’ve Had Worse
3x Inject
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
3x Grimoire

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts
2x Kati Jones
3x Liberated Account
1x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder
2x Darwin

Program (20)
1x D4v1d
2x Djinn
2x Hivemind
1x Imp
3x Incubator
3x Medium
3x Parasite
2x Progenitor
3x Self-modifying Code ••••• ••••

15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)

I find the SMCs help greatly in setting up the combo, and clone chips are useful as well, letting you re-use an SMC, conjure up an instant 8-9 strength parasite to nuke down a piece of ice, or just letting you ditch things to return later if you want to dig through your deck faster. In particular it maximises the chances of getting an Incubator in play early.

Economy is more than adequate for what you need, often leaving enough cash to trash naked assets and slow the corp down. Elizabeth Mills or other bad pub removers don’t hurt the deck significantly; between Darwin and parasites and David you can ensure that no ice will stop you when you’re carrying out the big dig.

To be honest this deck isn’t all that refined; there are some elements like Corroder and David that I rarely use, and having the full 3 parasites is probably overkill. From the list in the OP, I’ll probably take Nerve agent and Amped up and put them in my deck.

I can only think of two counters to this: Cyberdex and Caprice on R&D. The latter can be played around and will cause the game to hinge on a psi game or two. Cyberdex is the real hard-counter, which unfortunately only makes this deck playable as a meta-call, or to stomp weaker/unprepared opponents. The deck has been surprisingly good in practice, providing better results than my “normal” decks, even against some decent opposition, but I’m uncomfortable playing things that I know aren’t fully sound. Nevertheless a neat idea, and very satisfying when you pull it off (I believe my record is a 30 card dig).

1 Like

just seems like you’re looking at a pretty slow play if you’re letting everything drip off PW. So I guess the inverse is "are you just drawing until you have the combo, then blowing up? Playing PW when you get it and hosting as you can?

PW is a combopiece and econ and is so important that i’ll do everything to get it asap. Normally I will have it before turn 3 so it will net me a nice amount. The point is that most of the games you win with grimoire, 3 mediums, hivemind, incubator, blackmail, wyldside, PW. That is around 20 creds that you need to gather with PW, fall guy, sure gamble and daily cast. And that is doable.
If they are removing the bad pub or rezzing ice, you will have to click for creds in order to get your darwin working.
If I would make changes to the deck, there are a few slots that might be open. The problem is that I don’t see good econ cards that would fit.
Day Job: Don’t have 4 clicks
Dirty laundry: Don’t want to run against weyland (would be nice with BP and PW)
Liberated A: Don’t always have 6 creds
Hard at work: Eh, nope
Lucky find, gorman: No influence left
Armitage Maybe, but it’s click intensive

This is a rough draft of the MaxX version I played a few times. I made this list after facing a local player who had it, but he didn’t come up with all of the ideas himself either, so no idea where the credit goes. I didn’t refine it much because I haven’t played it that often, and I haven’t played it that often because, well, it annoys the shit out of people.

Same strategy, except make your killer run with Stimhack to pay for all your stuff, Parasite any ICE in your way, and Darwin any that you can’t Parasite. Showing Off could be Surge instead, and you could go down to 2 Josh, and include another Inject or Hotel or something.

MaxX Super Dig

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (16)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Inject (Up and Over)
2x Showing Off (Order and Chaos)
3x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (2)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)

Resource (14)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
3x Fall Guy (Double Time) •••
3x Joshua B. (Cyber Exodus)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) ••••• ••••• ••

Icebreaker (2)
2x Darwin (Future Proof)

Program (11)
2x Hivemind (Order and Chaos)
3x Incubator (The Source)
3x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Isn’t demo run just better than showing off? As I see it, showing off lets you access ~twice as many cards by letting you go twice, once from the bottom. In that case, why not just trash them all from the top for the same price, and go again? Plus, whereas showing off is only good once per turn, usually, if you can put a couple of demo runs down, they’ll be in serious trouble.

2 Likes

Pretty much how many runs can you squeeze in for unique accesses.Demo run means you have 3 runs, Show off is 2.

Showing off is better if they’re bottoming agendas with DBS, but I think I’d rather just play Demo since it’s actually good in other situations.

1 Like

I actually started building s Personal Workshop/Incubator Valencia Blackmail deck earlier this weekend.

Sick build. Looks better-tweaked than my untested jank. Glad that the idea has been working.

Will def. try either this, or use this as a reference to my build-in-process.

Showing Off is better against unknown ice. If you’re not sure the initial run is going to be successful, you don’t want to waste Demo Run. With Showing Off, you can make a normal run first, making sure it’s safe and economically possible to run again.

Basically, Showing Off takes 1 click, Demo Run takes 2. The first run is a Stimhack run, which you would then have to follow with a Demo Run, and then another normal run. You can follow up on Stimhack with Showing Off immediately and that will show you everything.

Demo Run does give you a shot at beating PE by obliterating their whole deck as long as you don’t hit any snares or fetals (so, hardly ever), which Showing Off doesn’t. Or for that matter, beat an R&D filled with only NAPDs that you can’t steal.