Home | About | Tournament Winning Decklists | Forums

Mini-Report: Richmond, VA Store Championship 1st Place, 2/21/15

I won a 21 player store championship at One-Eyed Jacques over the weekend. Decklists, with some discussion, on NRDB:

Punitive Glacier (1st Place Richmond, VA Store Championship)

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (7)

Asset (6)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (14)

Barrier (9)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (3)

Multi (1)

• 1x Orion (Order and Chaos)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Prepaid Eater (1st Place Richmond, VA Store Championship)

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (27)

Hardware (6)

Resource (4)

Icebreaker (3)

• 3x Eater (Order and Chaos)

Program (10)

15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

If you didn’t go over to NRDB to read my comments there: corp deck great, runner deck not very good.

The Adventure:
Under normal circumstances, it’s about an hour drive to this venue, but on the morning of, the forecast was for a pretty heavy snowstorm at home (Charlottesville), though reasonable weather in Richmond. We made the call to try to make the drive early to escape the blizzard, rather than just giving up on the event. Well…trying to get on the highway, we actually slid off the on-ramp and into a ditch. :frowning: No damage to us or the car, but the car was stuck and no amount of pushing was able to get us out, though it did get me a modest splattering of mud on my jacket and jeans, which as you can imagine is fun to sit in when you’re playing Netrunner all day. :stuck_out_tongue: Fortunately a good Samaritan with a truck and chains happened upon us before too long, and was able to help us out of the ditch, and we were on our way! Once we were on the highway the roads were fine, and the weather in Richmond seemed positively balmy (at around 32F).

The Event itself
Good venue, would visit again. Event started pretty close to on-time (noon), and was five rounds of Swiss plus a top eight double elimination. Judge was a (L2?) Magic judge and had been playing ANR for a while and was well versed in rules and FAQs, had the relevant documents at hand, and had lots of experience running tournaments, so the event ran smoothly despite the software throwing up when trying to make pairings for round 2 after adding a latecomer to the event. The judge paired by hand for round 2 and had us playing within about 15 minutes of round 1 finishing, then rebuilt the event while we were playing. Very impressive!

As I mentioned on NRDB, the field seemed to be all Fast Advance on the corp side, and the runners were mostly split between Prepaid Kate and various flavors of Anarch. I didn’t have an opponent start with 9 cards all day, which was certainly a surprise! It was not a good day to be a runner: the judge announced a few times late in the event what the runner/corp balance for the day was, and I don’t think it was ever less than 67% corp wins.

The Adventure, part 2
We managed to escape the store around 10:30pm. We weren’t exactly sure how to get back on the highway, so we followed signs. “Highway (number) + arrow, it doesn’t list a direction, so it must have on-ramps for both directions, right?” WRONG. It only had one on-ramp…in the wrong direction. No big deal, just get off at the next exit and flip around, right? Turns out the next exit had a Tollbooth to get off the highway (WTF?). And then, get this…ANOTHER Tollbooth to get back on the highway going in the correct direction? Seriously, Richmond? :frowning:

The weather was starting to get bad again as we neared Charlottesville, as the temperature was dropping and the slush on the road turned into ice. We had to take it pretty slow, but weren’t in any real danger. As my ride arrived at my neighborhood though, we realized that it hadn’t really been plowed (and in fact, the way the cross road had been plowed had actually filled in a bank of snow across the street going into the neighborhood), so I got out of the car and walked the rest of the way. It was actually a pretty nice moonlit midnight walk, crunching my way through the snow, stopping to look at animal tracks - it allowed me to relax from the stress of a day of tournament Netrunner and a harrowing drive home.

Props:

• the guys who helped us out of the ditch
  • venue, for being a fine venue for gaming
  • judge, for knowing his stuff and generally being a cool guy
  • the competition, for being solid

Slops:

• Mother Nature, for rezzing all that ice while we were running

• Richmond, for misdirecting us into that double Tollbooth