My humble thoughts on Quetzal, and why I don't think she will be very good(Please prove me wrong)

bishop, datasucker, spinal modem, personal touch, scrubbed…Wyrm up and coming son.

Now all your other posts make so much sense! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

pretty mean comment. but okay man!

1 Like

Alright all this talk about splashing tinkering or paintbrush got me excited. So I started thinking of a way to get it to work. With the new box coming out here is something a little fun.

Taste Tester

(45 cards)
Quetzal: Free Spirit
– Event (25 cards)
3 Day Job
3 Déjà Vu
3 Forked
3 Inject
3 Knifed
1 Levy AR Lab Access
3 Spooned
3 Steelskin
3 Sure Gamble
– Hardware (7 cards)
2 e3 Feedback Implants
2 Prepaid VoicePAD
2 Spinal Modem
– Program (6 cards)
3 Eater
2 Keyhole
2 Paintbrush
– Resource (7 cards)
2 Armitage Codebusting
2 Kati Jones
3 Same Old Thing

The questions it faces
-Is it fast enough?
-Does it have enough money?
-Is voice pad the right choice?
-Will your opponent swing at you from across the table as every ice gets eaten?
-Can your opponent handle shuffling every few minutes?
-Is getting hit because they have to shuffle every few minutes worth it?

Some serious questions here! However I think with some tweaks and testing this could be a solid choice!

1 Like

Right away I would consider trying 3 prepaids, as you have 25 events that cost credits, so seeing a prepaid at virtually any point is going to help out a lot with your economy.

I started with that but was unsure if only 2 Eaters was enough.

I know it’s been a while since this thread’s seen any sort of action, but since I finally found a Quetzal thread I wanted to share the deck I took to store championships a few days ago; I know it’s far from perfect, but considering I had barely built/tested the deck the day before I feel like getting 3rd was a miracle in itself:

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (26)
1x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
1x Forked (Order and Chaos)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
1x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
1x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
1x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (6)
1x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ••
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
2x Vigil (Order and Chaos)

Resource (3)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Crypsis (Core Set)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (4)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Keyhole (True Colors)

It’s probably the fact that I played against Weyland almost 50% of the time, but I still feel like there’s real potential here. I’m just not sure where to go from here; not playing Parasites feel completely wrong and I don’t know what to replace them with right away. At the same time 1 of each silverware didn’t feel like enough at times; at the very least I probably want to add more Knives to deal with double barrier servers.

Last night I sat down, and tried to make Ed Kim work in a way I liked.

Couldn’t achieve yet! Everything I came up with felt like a shittier version of my Imp Recursion Shaper decks.

So I thought about the new cards, and just came up with something.

====================

quetzal - 46 cards - 14 influence

day job x 3
sure gamble x 3
liberated x 3
daily cast x 3

IHW x 3
vigil x 2

eater x 3
knight x 2
grappling hook x 3 ** ** **
cerebrus cuj0 x 2

knifed x 3
forked x 2
wanton destruction x 3
siphon x 2 **** ****
keyhole x 3

deja vu x 2
joshua b x 2
singularity x 2

====================

Basic Eater stuff I think. Keyhole is the main thing I wanna do a lot of, and I got enough hand pressure to get things done.

Cards I’m thinking you might be like “what in the what?”

-Grappling Hook, and no E3. This is a choice based around what I was scared of from playing Eater. Wraparound, which made me pick Pretzels. Swordsman, which I need a way to facecheck safely. OAI Bullshit from Blue Sun. E3 is good vs OAI, but doesn’t allow the face check. Hook on the Swordsman though is a safety net… then I know what to avoid until Cuj0. Also helps face check a lot of stuff safely, so its early pressure at the cost of late game efficiency.

-No david. With the Hooks being my answer to the common OAI’d Blue Sun ice… and Pretzel my way thru Wraparound… And eater being so good math wise… didn’t think I needed it.

-No inject. Im hoping IHW and Vigil gets me enough, but it might not. Inject or John Mas would be worked into the deck if I need more… but thats rough, since what the hell do I cut!

-The choice of Cutlery I chose. 3x Knifed so I can kill Barriers and hopefully make it so a Barrier wont lock me out of a real access. Force 2 types of ice on the remote. Forked because Cuj0 is limited, so I need to kill… main reason I chose Cuj0 over Mimic too… so I can kill no restrictions. No spooned because most Code Gates are Low sub High Str it seems now… perfect Knight targets.

-Singularity. Obvious enough, It lets Eater hit a remote. Kill San San, or trash an Agenda, or whatever.

-Josh B over the new +click things. I need 1 more click to make Wanton really good… or to click thru 2 bioroids on 1 server. Siphon is gonna tag me anyway, and I doubt I will clear… so more tags seems better than brain damage.

It all seems decent on paper, but I have no games with it so far. Any problems you foresee?

1 Like

If your’e running tagged, daily casts is down in value, and liberated is a bit more cumbersome, but okay if you don’t mind losing 4 off it, or using a whole turn with josh b for it. Its like 2 sets of day jobs then, which is fair, since you have keyhole, and big haymaker events like wanton, rather than static pressure akin to criminal. I do think e3 is better though.

Could be draw light too.

Yea E3 is probably the better call like 95% of the time. Gonna be taking notes of how much I use the hook in a spot I couldnt use e3 in, and how often I wish it was an e3 instead.

Daily Casts if Im tagged is more of a thing to play if the corp is low, and trashing it is an opportunity cost. Thats why the only tag devices are Siphon and Josh… and Josh I can wait on if I got some things I wanna roll through.

Im cool with trading my resources for the corps click+$2 if they are low, but I see the issue. Dunno what I would pick instead if it ends up being that Daily is too vunerable.

Dirty laundry springs to mind, get the run and roughly the same amount of money. I generally prefer money now to ‘more efficient’ though. You could also combine queen’s gambit and maybe 1 of john M to help improve draw, like -3 DC +2 queens gambit +1 john mas. It depends on how good you are at seeing through the backs of your opponent’s cards though…

The problem with Queens, which I used to use a lot and didnt whiff on it too often, is that theres some match ups you will just never get to do it on. It ends up being 6 gain for 2 clicks… so its same as a Daily in terms of gain per click (DC might be slightly ahead, since its 5 for 1, then you 1 for 1 can get the same 6 for 2)

Cool if you Queens for the money to Singularity that same remote, but thats about it.

DL if I make a useful run isnt bad… but If im eater-ing… odds are a DL run isnt that useful.

Thats the spot, its like… hard choices. I might lean to Armitage before Daily, since I can burn the bulk off in a turn (With Josh on board, install and use x 4… 5 clicks and 1 dollar to gain 8, with 4 more your way next turn… its weird, but not awful?)

I hate the Anarch economy math. ~_~

It also comes down to when you need the credits; Daily Casts might be a 5 for 1, but that’s over the course of 4 turns. Gambit gives you 6 for 2 immediately. It just depends on whether or not you need the credits right away, and/or you can get in the server somehow if you think you’ve played it on an agenda.

I’m trying to figure out if Cuj.0 is worth it over Mimic; when I forked a sentry I just used Eater if it was larger than Mimic, since I generally didn’t care about accessing 80% of the time. It gives you more reach if you do want to access eventually, but then you have the problem of it being limited use.

Also, that deck looks like it would run into the same issue I had; Quandary is very annoying. Using Knight on it probably makes you sad, and if you don’t have it out, you’re forced to use Eater.

Yes, I know you can’t access the card; I meant for Singularity.

Im not sure, but thats why I’m trying it out about Cuj0. Ill just roll though a list of common sentries and see. The other bit is while Cuj0 is limited, it breaks more, so I might not wanna use Eater if Im going for the access.

Maybe 1 of each?

I’ve been using hooks much the wauyyou have. Pass archer komainu swordsmen for cheap when you are sporting large hands and Ai breakers

I actually think cuj.0 is fine, especially if you expect to run into a good deal of weyland, who now has advanced changelings to go with their archers, making mimic a bit of a pain. If you’re not already running eater and forked, but are running recursion + datasuckers, cuj.0 is a pretty damn fair change.

When Mimic and D4V1D are in faction there’s very little reason to play Cuj.0.

4 Likes

shrug Just depends on what you want to spend your d4v1ds on, with the new weyland big ice, it being an answer to asteroid belt/advanced firewalls, orions, and the new big code gates, d4v1d can become a scarcity. Using it alone to break big sentries is a bit of a liability. That said, datasucker exists, so meh.

1 Like