[NBN] Butcher Your Enemies, Butcher Your Friends

It’s probably amazing. It gives you a kill from a scored Breaking News, which makes the Breaking News kill combo way safer, since you don’t actually need to have it on the board (or in your hand if you have something crazy like a SanSan and a scored Astro). Suddenly, scoring a Breaking News puts the runner in a very scary place. And since you can score it out of hand as soon as you draw it, it’s very, very easy to set up. Also, Film Critic is rough for this deck, since it can turn off Midseason’s entirely, making running on your board almost completely safe, but 24/7 gives you a reliable way to not give a crap and kill the runner anyhow.

So in summary, it’s scary as shit and I expect to see it everywhere.

2 Likes

NBN’s a-comin’ for ya!

Another thing I think will be oppressive in NBN kill is Restructured Datapool with Media Blitz in Making News. If you or the runner score it, you’re basically able to tax the runner for 4 every turn for the cost of a click. If they ever fail, they risk being murdered.

1 Like

Do you think it’s worth to switch 1 (or even more) NAPD to a Character Assassination with the rise of the Noise?

Why do you need CA against Noise? If you want to trash that Pawnshop , just use BN tags.
I am more concerned about film critic, this card ruins our gameplan entirely.

1 Like

Breaking News plus All Seeing I… Your one stop resource annihilation shop. Let’s go ahead and pencil in PPVP Kate for the next couple of GenCon and Worlds wins.

3 Likes

Note that that’s a 3 card combo (unless you burn an astro token for it which is probably worth it, or having the BN on the table which they will just steal because they have Film Critic).

I hope I’m wrong but printing a cheap Wrath effect in the strongest corp faction makes me concerned that resource economy will not be competitively viable. Again, I really do hope I’m wrong.

I think you’re over estimating how strong it’ll be. Board wipes aren’t the end of the world and you can just keep an extra copy of wyldside around. It’s sort of weird to me that runners have been able to treat resources as permanent when they’re supposed to be destroyable by design.

4 Likes

Time will tell. Just because it doesn’t immediately end the game doesn’t mean it won’t produce unrecoverable momentum shifts. Hope you’re right though. I love pancakes.

If you can land a tag, you should be able to cause significant tempo swings. Closed Accounts is in the core, after all. If your resources are so crucial that someone spending 7 credits, four clicks and 3 cards (considering biotic labor) to trash them would ruin you, you might be leaning on them too heavily or need to plan recursion for them (like deja).

So now that New Hollywood is out, let’s talk about Explode-a-paloosa vs NDPD Contract.

It’s been thought that Explody is probably a strait upgrade over NAPD, since it increases the credit differential more than NAPD does (5 vs 4), and the rubber can’t decline to steal is, making it a more effective trap. However, there’s a couple situations where I think NAPD is probably still better.

Let’s highlight the different ways that the runner can encounter the agenda.

• you have Midseasons in hand, and are up on money
  • You have Midseasons in hand, and are down 5 credits or less on the runner
  • You have Midseasons in hand, and are more than 5 credits behind
  • you don’t have Midseasons, and the runner is equal or behind on credits
  • you don’t have Midseasons and are ahead on credits
  • you’ve already tagged the runner, and are trying to get money to kill them
  • you’ve already tagged the runner, and are looking for your kill cards

In most of the cases where you have the Midseasons, is probably say that the Explodorama is better. It gets you more ahead (or caught up) on money, and the runner can’t decline to take it, which is everything you want.

However, if you don’t have the Midseasons and the runner doesn’t know it, NAPD is probably still better. If you are ahead on money, there’s a good chance the runner will decline taking what would be a free agenda, thinking that they’ll sure if they do. The less agendas the runner scores early the better, because if you’ve tagged them and the rubber is making, say, medium runs to try and close the game it before death, you want as much time as possible.

Similarly, I think NAPD is probably better than Happy Happy Boomy Boomy when the runner has gone tag me (either by choice or not) and is making those deep R&D runs to finish things, simply because they tax the runner’s credits, hopefully making it harder for them to make those runs.

If you are just trying to make some money to kill them soon, though, Explosions 2; Explode Harder makes it basically a foregone conclusion that they die next turn if they can’t win this one.

Either way, I’ll be trying Explosions… of Money! this week and see how it feels. The deck is usually at its weakest to medium right now, and NAPD might just be more resilient to that in general, so we’ll see where it ends up. It could even be that you want some weird mix of Kablamo, NAPD and Beale for the final slots, but it’s probably just a choice between the two credit differential movers.

2 Likes

can always cut a beale and an NAPD for two explodies? To test it out? Though for the lists that already only play two beales that might not be recommended, I mean you still want to score out from time to time @_@

I don’t know which word for that agenda I like the most

Exploda is a better agenda because of the times where you dont want to land a midseasons but a sea source. Iv found sea source invaluable in butchershop, relying on midseasons alone doesnt cut it. Exploda palooza still grants you the 5c even when its been imp’d.

Also, the primary win condition should be FA anyway, with the threat of scorch slowing the runner down enough to let you win on points. Going from 0 to 5 is big, particularly for when your trying to score from deck.

Also, casting call on exploda palooza is potentially a 9c swing unless the runner has plascretes online.

1 Like

so thoughts on snare right now? I am thinking of cutting one traffic and one of my two elis for a wall of static/third wraparound and a snare. With imp and faust being the hot new things, and losing to medium digs a real danger, I wonder if people have views on this?

2x snare has done more work for me than the extra traffic accidents. Slowing the runner down while they clear tags and draw up is great.

1 Like

2 snare? What do you cut for that? I feel like cutting more than 1 traffic accident is dangerous given that the breaking news kills is still quite potent

1 Like

My inf is currently 3x scorch, 2x snare, 1x traffic accident. I run 3x Breaking news and even with 1x traffic accident, NEH has enough draw iv found to be able to pull of a breaking news kill very easily. Failing that midseasons them and wait for the traffic accident to turn up. Or double scorch of the BN. Really though, chasing the kill is the wrong way to go about it. Use it as a threat to allow you to safely FA out.

I dunno… Post D&D, NBN will be able to turn a scored breaking news into an unstoppable two tags. 24 Hour News seems too good not to include and that leans very heavily on the more traditional influence set up.

3 Likes

Not quite unstoppable, but tough to play around for sure.