NetrunnerQuest - Study Group - Forking Hard or Hardly Forking?

Getting in a couple games tonight.

1st was Sync deck from above. triple reversed accounts felt a bit mean, We both had a misplay at the end and I’m going to say my opponent won. He jacked out thinking he didnt have enough credits when he did exactly.

2nd was a stealth kit. Ran into a quadruple advanced Aggressive Secretary. He got in my head and I was convinced it was a Vitruvius. Should have left well enough alone. I lost that one in a grind.

3rd was a Yog.0saurus kit. and it had an epic turn. Unfortunately it wasn’t mine. Playing against Temple of Eternity. CVS in archives. He’s been overdrawing and pitching cards. I was thinking I should get in there and check, eventually. He had a double iced server from earlier with 3 cards in it for a while.

• triple advances, rezzes san san, scores explode-a-palooza. Installs a card from archives using Team Sponsorship
  • Next turn, double advances the astro that had been in archives, scores it, installs another astro from archives, single advances, moves the counter and scores it.

He went from 0 to 6 in 2 turns. He won shortly afterwards. I was impressed.

17/40

I had a game on Jinteki last night with a guy playing SYNC trying something similar. He got very upset when I didn’t let him use Jackson between installing and using my Hades Shard.

I had a couple matches against asset-spam Gagarin, even with Imp it was difficult to keep up with trashing assets. Hitting a CVS that was tossed out among the important assets also hurt.

1 Like

thats one of the greatest tricks of asset spam decks. after you’ve given up on checking things, sneak out the CVS to ruin your day later.

1 Like

An update on this absurd Whizzard deck. since my last update I have played 9 more games with this deck (sorry I have been very sick). I have only dropped one game and it was to a Mushined Junebug that I needed to run to make sure I wouldn’t lose the next turn.

1 Like

I think trap decks are probably the best answer to Faust anarchs, particularly if you can make them discard to break ICE to gain access.

After not seeing any Jinteki since Data and Desitny, I suddenly ran into 4/5 matches against Jinteki with Noise and I really struggled. I’m going to try running PE this weekend myself to see if I can put more runners in tough situations.

I guess I’ll post my list here, since I know it needs a lot of work:

I stopped running Ronin because I never fired it; the flatline threat from scoring multiple agendas + Neural EMP works well enough (maybe). I love the Overwriters, landing one early is often half of winning a match.

Eli has been nice to tax runner looking to access, I’ve considered a 1x Scorch to punish runner accessing on last click.

Crisium has been a flex slot (was Hokousai Grid to counter Keyhole) to counter Siphon and Apocalypse (and Keyhole too).

1 Like

I think ronin is still tough because people know to end turns with certain amount of cards but I think snare and junebug could be back in a big way especially in the upcoming polana foods

1 Like

I am really looking forward to trying out some builds using Palana Foods. I want to run Ashigaru and Cybernetics Court so I can call it Foodcourt!

Still working on the rest of the cards though…

1 Like

I’ve been rocking MaxX for a bit, and getting into a good groove, but noticed something (with some prodding from CodeMarvelous) yesterday that I was really missing: I wasn’t running when I couldn’t get an access with eater. Seems like a weird thought, but the point was this: The corp has to rez the ice, and it has to be one you need to use eater on, for you to not get in. They’re still spending the money, because if they keep the creds they don’t prevent the access.

5 games tonight.
Stealth Kit won against a spark deck.
Then CodeMarvelous got on jnet, played 3 games there. His Bromethus deck wrecked Sync. Then Yogasaurus Kit was embarrassed by his Blue Sun. My TurtleScorch RP deck made Adam miserable though.

Then 1 more game with Sync vs a Fisk DLR. He had me on the ropes. I had perfect timing on Agendas and JH showed up just in time to save the day. Won with 2 cards left in 3 card left in R&D which were 2 Astros and a NAPD.

22/40
I made the original target at least.

Trying out CodeMarvelous’ Noise deck.
IG 1st game was going well, but opponent disconnected.
Argus game 2, face planted into a junebug. Really should have seen it as a trap.
ETF game 3. got greedy. didnt install the clonechip. lost to a biotic labor.
Game 4 was another Argus. Was almost out of steam when I won. 1 card in the stack, Peddler ate all my Deja Vus. Fun times.

I’m forgetting Aesops more than I am remembering it.

26/40

1 Like

Peddler eating Deja Vu is why I cut her for a flex slot. There are a lot of very good Anarch cards to consider, and you can run more events if you cut the peddler.

She is great when she works, but she has cost me a few games with her really atrocious draws.

Did something I haven’t done in a while. Played some real life netrunner instead of jnet. Against codemarvelous no less.

Took a different noise deck and my rp scorch museum deck.

2 games against trash man geist, 1-1. Getting mongoose in the trash both games was a big help. CM won the 1st game by destroying my economic engine and finding future perfect when I had zero credits.

1 game against gagarin temple. 1 game against spark. Both noise wins. CM is correct. Noise is really good. I always felt like I was behind, then I look down and I have 15 credits, a decent rig, and 7 points.

Imp was all star against gagarin asset spam, employee strike was against spark.

30/40

CM did make all of his servers absolutely impervious when his cat laid down on his cards.

Cat. The ultimate barrier.

6 Likes

4 more games today. all as Noise
4-0… Noise is pretty good it appears.

well, technically 5 games, but 1 was
Corp Mulligans
Corp takes 3 clicks
Corp concedes and leaves game

Latest game was against a corp with 431 cards. Was kinda crazy.

34/40… Maybe going to make it!

1 Like

So I guess the alternate win condition to mill the corp wasn’t going to happen, eh?

2 Likes

NOISE BOYS.

The king

5 Likes

Never had a prayer of decking the corp that game. I think we burned through ~30 cards
The worst part was, it wasnt garbage. Every card I saw was playable and he got to 5 points with it.

3 more in
2 as noise against Palana. I tried a couple changes that I am going to unchange. Lost them both. 7-5 and 7-4. A bit grumpy about the 1st one. Had several medium deep digs come up empty. Died to a snare on a single access.
1 as RP Museum Scorch against Hayley. Misplays on both sides, but at the end Jinteki mailed a flower basket to Hayley’s family.

37/40… So close! We record soon, but I might actually make it.

1 Like

3 more as noise. 3-0
Blue Sun Murder wasn’t a fan of employee strike
Gagarin super tax wasn’t a fan of employee strike
ETF Trap deck couldnt find JH

40/40 Feels good.

1 Like

So in episode two of NetrunnerQuest @d1en spoke with us about setting up forks and forcing your opponent to make a choice between that provides you an advantage either way.

To this end I was able to create several of these in the SC we had locally on Sunday.

Watching for those opportunities instead of getting tunnel vision on one threat led me to second place.

as an example, I was able to rush out an astro on the table when I had weak ice unrezzed on centrals. this caused my opponent to check every remote that was facedown to clear the threat instead of attacking me where I was weak. Buying me the time I needed to set up and gain control of the game.

if he had checked centrals i would have rezzed the pop ups and wraps around and recovered my money via the assets the following turn.

https://soundcloud.com/anrblackhatsofficial/netrunnerquest-ep2

Forking did well for me as well. I was able to redirect focus with RP quite a bit. My last game in the SC I had the choice. I could either murder, or score out. I was able to get there be keeping the runner guessing and having to play catchup the whole time.

CM and I played and he prevented me from forking. An early breaking news blew up wyldside and I ended up being one dimensional because of it.