New tournament rules: IDs and Concessions now legal

I’m happy that they finally allow conceding.

The only sensible way to rule ID is to either allow them in general or to not allow them at all. Anything in between is nonsense even worse than the previous decision to disallow concessions. So I interpret the new tournament rules as always allowing IDs until there is a different statement from FFG. If the TO has the option to ad hoc decide to allow or disallow an ID, I will in the future ask him to announce in advance whether he will always allow ID for the tournament or never. If he wants to do it on a case by case basis I won’t participate in the tournament, because that is bullshit.

Other notable differences in the new rules:

Previously it was randomly determined who chooses to start with runner/corp. Now it is randomly determined who starts with runner/corp.

Changes in the tournament structure. Question: Is somewhere specified which structure SC and Regionals have to follow? The tournament rules make no mention of a specific structure under the formal and premier headers. So in principle you can always use “custom structure” for all tournaments and choose whatever modus you want?

(Ok, Regionals use the Advanced Structure. What about SCs?)

2 Likes

SCs are (I guess, we’ll have to wait until autumn for official confirmation) events at Relaxed level - “Regional Championships are larger events that promote a more competitive atmosphere than Store Championships” and Regionals are Formal. I think they will suggest Basic Structure but any Custom should be fine as well.

One other important thing TOs should think is what the players want. When I saw FFG-suggested structure for SCs and it turned out that for attendance I expect there should be 4 rounds + top 4, I made a poll amongst players asking them to choose between 4+4, 5+4 and 5+no cut. The results were split evently between both 5 rounds choices, with literally noone voting for 4+4, so we went with 5+4 at the tournament that was held on Saturday, 5+no cut on Sunday. I think for Regionals I will go the same way - I expect around 30-35 participants and I’m going to do 5 rounds Swiss with top 8 even if we end up slightly below 33.

Pretty sure IDs are allowed according to rules

The collusion they are talking about is something like me offering you my prizes to concede to me or something like that.

3 Likes

Thank you FFG for solving a non-existing problem! I spent a hundred euros on your dammed sleeves only for you to do this.

I’m fucking pissed.

I kinda have to agree, it’s weird. But I guess you only really need a hundred opaque sleeves and you’ll be fine. Just some extra work when attending a high enough level event.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUNK!?

Who do these people think they are?!

W*&$#rs.

2 Likes

“Players may use only official Android: Netrunner components in tournament play. Proxies of cards cannot be used. Determining the legality of third-party tokens is the marshal’s responsibility”

So any custom art cards and ID’s are forbidden.
Are altered cards a grey area?

To reiterate, clear sleeves, open IDs, and proxies/alt arts/homemade cards are all permitted at all ANRPC events.

18 Likes

For me the big news is SoS / eSoS is now weighted :smiley: – no more being punished on SoS for opponent drops!

I always run fan-made custom IDs with a copy of the legit ID ready to go on the other side of the sleeve :slight_smile:

It looks like basic / advanced is at the TO’s discretion; the Toledo SC this weekend is going to use Advanced, for instance, but I think the “safe” assumption is that SCs will be basic, regionals and up Advanced.

These seem like good changes (get your clear sleeves outta here :wink: ). Just wish there were something better than a small handful of acrylic tokens on offer in the kits this year.

1 Like

Art sleeves aren’t identical from sleeve to sleeve. Also most of FFG’s “opaque” sleeves are translucent and not truly opaque. Will either of these still be allowed under the new rules?

1 Like

Usually art sleeves should be identical? And I’m pretty sure “mostly opaque” sleeves are fine as long as it is impossible to in any way differentiate between different card backsides.

Isn’t there some printing variation in art sleeves? The last version of rules were explicit in allowing art sleeves was my thought process.

edit: Or at least they could wear out differently. I guess that’s covered by their statement on condition. Just curious if I’ll need to buy new sleeves or not.

I had someone I love hand-color Kate “Mac” McAffrey for me based on the previous rule that alternative IDs were OK. I guess I’ll bring a core set Kate with me backup and see if anyone actually forces me to use it. Seems hard to do with a straight face. It’s not shuffled into my deck.

Watching @mediohxcore colour in 3 NAPDs with red marker and then showing them to the head judge saying “Can I use these” was a priceless moment, if only for Lukas’ expression.

6 Likes

context?

At Worlds, there was so much Valencia and Dan kept forgetting bad pub increased the advancement cost of NAPD, so he wanted to do something to remind himself. FFG did not go with this option… :wink:

To be fair in my game against him though, he did remember, and I was glad it wasn’t a Food, so everyone was a winner.

3 Likes

[quote=“spags, post:29, topic:7105”]
proxies/alt arts/homemade cards are all permitted at all ANRPC events.[/quote]Is it really allowed to print a deck on my printer, put it into sleeves together with some Magic commons so that it is easy to shuffle and turn up with this to play at an ANRPC event?

1 Like

That’s actually probably fairer than running one or two odd alt-arts. That way you get funny looks no matter what they see in R&D.

1 Like

Should it not be? :s

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering whether this would be a thing, and have been talking about it on Jinteki for the last few days. I feel like i can now actually enter a tournament and crush all the pitiful fools who think they can stand up to the Industrial Museum of Pain or some epic power shutdown Gagarin. Or some Siphon/Faust/Hatecardoftheday I’m so pumped, who’s with me in creating agonizing pain for the community?