[NEXT Design] Making It Work

There are only few cards I consider crappy in first hand - 8 assets/upgrades and more than 1 agendas. Bad hands will inevitably happen, but you should have good ones most of the time.

Edit: Today I had great hand with 2 GLC, Hedge, Enigma and Agenda. I didn’t mulligan, I drew into even more econ (2 Restructures and 1 Hedge), agendas and a Merlin. Having 25 creds and agendas I fired two ABTs (Eli, Architect, Enigma, no agendas) and easily got to 6 points. Then I just fed the agendas to the runner until I got a good scoring window.

1 Like

I just couldn’t do it… I tried to get a big tourney win with NEXT Design. The two regionals I brought it to it got me top 8 at both I just couldn’t snag a win. Here’s the list.

1 Like

Do Corporate Sales Team and Advanced Concept Hopper give Next Design the fuel it needs to make rushing with it viable again?

N is for NEXT ICE (dies to parasite)
O is for "oh god no"
P is for “please Damon make a better one”, and
E is for “ETF”

2 Likes

Hopefully the P changes to “Platinum saved us”

Mythic - 7 cr - str 4
-> trash a program
-> end the run

While NeXT Platinum is rezzed, all NeXT ice gain “indestructible”

• And if you have to ask what indestructible means, buy a dictionary
4 Likes

As amazing as that would be, we’d lose bronze by the time it got printed.

I wish NEXT mattered. I really do.

I was on Next ice at the chicago store champs, it was fine…I was however, also on Team sponsorship.

Had advice as a Noob to play NEXT rush to learn how to play rush decks. Found a net deck on NRDB that is not updated for last couple of cycles.

That deck plays Green and Blue level clearances. I was wondering if dropping in Lateral Growth and Advanced Assembly Lines for those cards would make sense.

I guess the basic question is whether getting free clicks is better than getting extra card draw in a NEXT rush deck?

AAL is not that good outside of ETF, being trashable in HQ / R&D is a drawback. Lateral seems as good as GLC though.

1 Like

Rush typicaly uses draw cards because you want to see your key pieces as soon as possible, build your server and push out the points.

Lateral is great along side this as it lets you keep momentum, avoiding discards after drawing up with GLC or BLC and making some credits as you go.

I see both the clearances and Advanced Assembly Lines/Lateral Growth as click compression cards. When rushing, you will want to draw cards and you will instal things, and all these cards let you push your game plan while providing a little clickless burst econ on the side. In my NEXT deck I personally run Blue Level, Lateral Growth, AND Advanced Assembly Lines and it seems to work ok. Yes, the assembly lines do get trashed from R&D sometimes and that sucks, but it doesn’t happen as often as you would think.

I’ve played a few games with NEXT now. A few observations so far from a new player of this ID.

1. Don’t think about how much more money you’d have if you were playing ETF. It does you no good.

2. Remember that the ID gives you a big early boost on draw and clicks; seize that advantage and exploit because by the late game you will be wishing you had ETF. (See point 1.)

3. Parasite is an evil card. (I am using NEXT ice.)

4. If you are playing rush, sometimes you have to leave your centrals less secure so you can advance your strategy. If you slow down to heavily ice centrals, you are abandoning your game plan. This is not a glacier deck. (See point 1.)

5. Account siphon is an evil card.

1 Like

A key point in learning rush, I think, and one I know I still have some trouble with. I think it’s usually worth it to import at least a few ambushes to discourage those central runs. Punishing ones, not Space Camps and Product Placements. It’s not like you’re spending influence on ice with the NEXT suite.

I was considering trying Chrysalis in NEXT Design, as I like the way it doubles up on slots and also fires for free.

I agree about ambushes, you want to avoid spending the cards aand resources associated with icing up as much as possible. I recently published a Medtech rush deck that I’m pretty pleased with works off the same idea. Miracle Cure · NetrunnerDB

Below is a link to the most recently published version of a NEXT deck that I’ve been piloting for close to two years. Current changes have 2 ELP, 2 Ash 1 Biotic, and 2 Fairchild 3.0 in it, taking out the Laterals, Restructure, and 1 Turing.

Because Rumor Mill hurts Sandburg a lot, the ELPs and Biotic have helped counter it somewhat.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. What do you like about the ID compared to other options?

I’m trying it out as a learning exercise to practice rush decks.

For that particular deck there were three ID choices: EtF, NEXT, and Foundry and each had their own advantages and disadvantages.

EtF will always be richer leading to stronger Sandburgs and the higher influence would allow me to include a copy of Batty, Architects or something. The disadvantages are a slower start and longer to get to this deck’s end game.

Foundry also has higher influence so you could include Twins or Batty or a full set of Lancelots or Architects. The built in ABT misfire protection helps, as does being able to search up Grail or NEXT pieces each turn which helps pull you to the end game faster. The disadvantages were the slower start and Foundry’s ability to pull ICE effectively increases the agenda density in R&D.

NEXT has a faster start, allowing you to rush to your more glacial end game. You’re likely to get 2-3 ice in your opening hand, allowing you to secure several servers immediately. Because of this you can often rush out an early ABT to further secure you and rush you to your end game so you can sit back to get money and power sandburg. The downsides are largely obvious with NEXT: the reduced influence hurts since there’s no architects or real tricks in the deck, there’s no rezzing Merlin on a facecheck and guaranteed dealing 4 net damage like there is in Foundry, there’s no EtF money, etc.

At the end of the day I’ve settled on NEXT over the other two because runners are so fast right now that being able to withstand the early game onslaught of the runner’s Temujins, Siphons, etc. was key for me, as was being able to rush to the mid to late game where the corp is stronger. If I can get a turn 2 ABT off and force the runner to set up and dig for economy and various breakers to get through the taxing ice, I’m in a good position to switch to glacier mode which is the playstyle I’m most comfortable with.

Thanks for the detailed response! I have found that the traditional glacier is hard to sustain against today’s meta. We have lots of good early-game ice but not very much good late-game ice.

Played game vs. Worlds Hate Bear Whizzard deck last night.

I did not get the Efficiency Cmte. in opening hand. He got Faust and Paperclip out (nerfing Wraparound) almost right away. I never really had anything for him the rest of the game.

In retrospect, I should have just kept jamming agendas into the server because I was going to lose anyway. Calling off the rush just gave him time to pick apart my servers.

Does a rushy NEXT deck have a line to victory against the current dominant anarch decks?

Do you like rushing? Do you want to play agendas that your opponent will need to read? Do you want your corp games to be over by turn 10, win or lose? Then have I got a deck for you!

The Fast and the Furious

NEXT Design: Guarding the Net

Agenda (9)
2x Domestic Sleepers
1x Eden Fragment
2x Priority Requisition
1x Utopia Fragment
3x Voting Machine Initiative

Upgrade (2)
1x Ash 2X3ZB9CY
1x Crisium Grid ●

Operation (19)
2x Anonymous Tip ●●
1x Beanstalk Royalties ●
2x Blue Level Clearance
2x Fast Track
1x Green Level Clearance
3x Hedge Fund
3x Lateral Growth
3x Sweeps Week ●●●●● ●
2x Violet Level Clearance

Barrier (6)
3x NEXT Silver
3x Vanilla

Code Gate (8)
2x Enigma
3x Fairchild 3.0
3x NEXT Bronze

Sentry (4)
2x Architect ★★
2x Rototurret

Other (1)
1x Mother Goddess

12 influence spent (max 12, available 0)
21 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Quorum

The idea of this deck is to rush out 2 5/3 agendas, then fast track for a domestic sleepers and win from there. Voting machine initiative is surprisingly great in this deck (go look it up, I’ll wait). Its all about how fast the runner can set up, so setting them back by 3 clicks (over three turns) is actually perfect.

This deck is all about velocity. You never want to click for credits or click to draw–you want to always be drawing lots of cards off of clearences and anonymous tip, playing cheap money cards, and rushing out behind 2-3 ice on a remote. It can win by turn 7 on a good draw, and its fun to play if you love rushing.

Once terminal directive comes out, I am 100% swapping pri-req and one of the fragments for 3 elective upgrades–that way I can fast track and score a domestic sleepers in the same turn, without giving them a turn to grab it from hand. I will also try out ultraviolet clearance; it does everything this deck wants.

If you’ve played around with rush decks before, give 5/3’s a whirl–I think they have some significant advantages over the usual global food/2-pointer strategy, especially because you don’t need to worry about when you draw the global food.

Ideas and advice very welcome!