Null Signal Questions Thread

Neato, thanks for the update!

1 Like

Hey there Mantriel!

First up, thanks for caring enough to have TEN questions! :slight_smile:

Secondly, the Board have been in their roles for only a day now and while everyone involves has opinions on this we still have to run our plans and thoughts past each other to get a good idea about exactly where we’re going with the future - most of your questions touch on multiple sections of NISEI at once, so we have to make sure everyone in on the same page.

What I can tell you is:

• There will be announcements soon regarding some of your questions once the discussions finish
  • Our target audience is everyone from the two kids who play once a month on the floor of their mum’s basement to people who make the cut at big events like Worlds.

Watch this space!

2 Likes

Question! Do I have to have my staff tag removed? single tear

Now that there is an assigned creative director, my most pressing question:

Are dogs alive in the Android universe? I may be wrong, but I think so far we’ve only seen cyberdogs and robodogs.

Please clarify.

5 Likes

@Tamijo better make sure you apply for some roles then matey :smiley:

@Sanjay My answer isn’t canon, but I’d always assumed they were. How else would you get a cyberdog? Maybe a new ID is in order… he can play Fetch with agendas.

1 Like

Where else would DJ Fenris get canine genetic modifications? :thinking:

1 Like

Amber-preserved mosquitos?

3 Likes

I can give you a custom “Nisemono Staff” (= japanese for fake/counterfeit) title instead.

1 Like

We’ve gotten a few new questions in the box since announcing the staff :slight_smile: The various members of the board are typing up some answers, but this one I’ve got handled.

Will there be enough support for the game in europe from NISEI?

A: NISEI doesn’t stand for Netrunner International Support and Expansion Initiative for nothing :wink: There will be no shortage of events in Europe or anywhere else in the world.

Hi gang,

We here in Chicago were originally going to have a release event for R&R, before the drama of the end of Netrunner kicked in, with a structure incentivizing R&R deckbuilding. At this point, we will probably still do an event, in late October/early November. It can’t be part of the 2019 tournament season, but would OP like to be involved at all?

Hi anon,

Unfortunately our current timetable for prize support production may leave us scrambling to get a Game Night Kit into your hands depending on the exact date. However, we will be happy to help if we can! PM me on Slack (@icecoldjazz) and we can discuss details. We’d love to hear about whatever format you decide to run and how it works out for you as well!

2 Likes

Look, you all knew what you were getting with me.

Of course there are.

4 Likes

A few questions about the proxy policy:

1. Is a proxy which is not an actual image of a card legal, provided it is legible and easily identifiable? For example, would NISEI consider this a tournament-legal proxy?
    test

2. Is a proxy which is a card image, but which has been modified to show errata, legal? For example, would an image of SYNC BRE which had the words “for the remainder of the run” added via image editing software be a legal proxy?

3. If a player’s entire deck is proxies, for instance because it’s the future and they started playing in 2019, may they use non-Netrunner cards as the proxy backs?

7 Likes

Where can we meet you at Magnum Opus? Especially if we don’t know anyone from the team in person?

Is it just me, or is there not a discussion thread for the Encore! article?

2 Likes

The Discourse plugin needs a kick occasionally. Consider it kicked.

1 Like

Would NISEI staff be open to reversing their ruling on allowing grey scale proxies and only allowing color copies? At the very least I’d strongly recommend banning grey scale proxies from “competitive” level events. I can imagine a player used to playing their decks in grey-scale would be at a considerable advantage to their opponent since many people playing at competitive events are used to gleaning information by glancing at their opponents board, or through their heap to count influence, to see what they have. This becomes much more difficult and cumbersome when cards are in grey scale preventing a player from 1) being able to easily identify a card by it’s art and 2) Being able to quickly identify splashed and out of faction cards by their color schemes and 3) playing on a level field with their opponent since a player may not be practicing with grey scale decks and having to quickly adapt to them while also playing a taxing game puts an undue burden on one player.

Additionally, I’d recommend adding event guidelines that require judges to inspect proxied decks prior to the event to verify 1) proxy validity (verify art, inf costs, text, etc.) 2) Proxies being of sufficient quality (i.e. I’m playing with 100 DPI grey-scale proxies and half the text is garbled) so as not to impede an opponents ability to read/identify cards easily, and 3) All proxied cards being of similar size to prevent marking.

While I know the ANR community is viewed largely as a chill and sportsmanlike, I would encourage NISEI staff to reconsider their proxy rules and ensure that every step is taken to create a level playing field among competitors, ensure the possibility to cheat is mitigated as far as possible, and ensure there is sufficient support given to Judges to make calls against proxies as necessary.

Will NISEI staff review and update their tournament guidelines to reflect these concerns?

EDIT 1: I just re-read the policy and was glad to see that they proxies must be legible and judge approved. I’d still recommend disallowing grey-scale at competitive level events.

1 Like

I’m interested in getting invloved in a few rules related areas including: Tournament Organizer, Judge/Event Staff, and Rules Associate. But, for some reason the team structures document has:

“Rules Team Members cannot also be in the Community or OP Teams

“OP Team Members cannot also be in the Design, Development or Rules Teams

What’s the reasoning behind the restriction? I’m not sure I see a conflict. If someone is has rules knowledge and skill, shouldn’t they be able to use that in several ways?

1 Like

I think that’s just an old part from before the team structures were fully fleshed out. I see no issue with TOs and Judges being on the rules team, it was more a concern of keeping other positions like meta mamager and organized play lead out of rules management. I will take this up with the rest of the board.

3 Likes

Thanks Jacob! I appreciate that and look forward to applying to all 3 of those positions.

Good question! I’ll see if I can work out a place and time where we can all be. We’re on a mix of Swiss days though, so it’ll depend on when people arrive…

I’ll add something to the announcement this week if I get it sorted in time.

1 Like