[Noise] Welcome (back) to the Church

Like I said last week, Levy and Inject. Trust me, inject.

4 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll make a new list to try it again. You guys have me convinced. Itā€™s time for something new for me.

1 Like

The list Iā€™ve been playing is:

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (9)
3 Deja Vu
1 Inject
2 Iā€™ve Had Worse
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (3)
1 Archives Interface
1 Clone Chip
1 Turntable

Resource (12)
2 Adjusted Chronotype
3 Aesopā€™s Pawnshop
1 Daily Casts
3 Street Peddler
3 Wyldside

Icebreaker (4)
1 Corroder
2 Faust
1 Mimic

Program (17)
3 Cache
2 D4v1d
3 Datasucker
3 Imp
2 Lamprey
1 Medium
3 Parasite

The Daily Casts has never been great. Been meaning to cut it but never got around to it. Part of me wants the third Lamprey. Otherwise, more Inject seems nice. Iā€™m too wary of Scorch in general to have less than two IHW, but theyā€™ve only ever been mediocre. Might try Laundry at some point, just because that early money also just so important. Corroder is fine. Nothing great, and probably could get cut. I could take it or leave it. Otherwise seems pretty standard to me.

Looking at approximate probability of seeing 1 of Aesops/Wyldside in the opening X draws, and the joint probabilty of seeing both of Aesops/Wylside in the opening X draws (assuming no mulligan) leads to some interesting facts

X Ā¦ P(>=1 Wyldside OR >=1 aesops) Ā¦ P(>=1 Wyldside AND >=1 Aesops)
5 52% 9%
6 59% 13%
7 65% 16%
8 70% 20%
9 75% 25%
10 79% 29%
11 82% 33%
12 85% 38%
13 88% 42%
14 90% 47%
15 92% 51%
16 93% 55%
17 95% 59%
18 96% 63%
19 97% 67%
20 97% 70%
21 98.0% 74%
22 98.4% 77%
23 98.8% 79%
24 99.1% 82%
25 99.4% 85%
26 99.5% 87%
27 99.7% 89%
28 99.8% 91%
29 99.8% 92%
30 99.9% 94%

The corollary of this is:
ā€¢ Noise will get a nut draw (i.e. both) in opening hand in 10% of games. You also have a 50% chance of seeing one or the other so if you donā€™t see either, you should probably mulligan in nearly all cases.
ā€¢ In 25% of games he will see wyldside and aesops after 9 cards (20% of the deck). In 75% of games you will have seen 1 of them by this stage.
ā€¢ His expectation, i.e. 50% of games he will see the pair after drawing through 15 cards (or 1/3rd of the deck). In over 90% of games, you will see 1 by this stage.
ā€¢ In 1 in 4 games (1-75%) he will fail to see this pair after drawing 21 cards or nearly half the deck, but you almost certainly have one of them.
ā€¢ In 1 in 10 games (1-90%) he will fail to see this pair after 27-28 cards (65% of the deck).

It is interesting that many noise players lament (usually after losing) that all of their aesops were in the bottom X of the deck, but as we can see that isnā€™t beyond the realms of possibility, in fact in 1 out of 10 games, you will draw through nearly 2/3rds of the deck and not found your wylside and your aesops by that stage (note most of this 10% probability you will see 1 or the other, to miss out on both wyldside and aesops at this stage is the very unlikely event that 6 cards are buried in the bottom 1/3rd of the deck which has less than 0.3% probability).

This is why the aggressive burst draw of Inject/Peddler backed up levy is so intriguing. By including up to 21 burst draws you increase your chances of seeing the key pieces earlier, and consistency (making your worse games better) trumps efficiency (which is more like win more) most of the time.

16 Likes

I took Abramā€™s list to a SC this weekend (31 players), going 4-1 in swiss and 3-0 in the cut. Played 3 NEH, 2 Haarp, 1 Sol, 1 Palana and 1 ETF.

I included 2 Hacktivist instead of Plascrete/Shez to try to deal with NEH asset spam more effectively. It turns out setting up your engine early and consistently is the best counter to NEH asset spam and I found hacktivist next to useless all day (the fact is NEH has the ability to turn it off all too easily for it to be really impactful - its best use would be against IG/Gaga but we are not seeing those played widely in tournaments). I played two Haarp on the day and didnā€™t miss the plascrete/IHW - just get in HQ and imp that shit - having only 2 scorches in that deck these days helps. The game I lost was to a Sol midseasons psychobeale deck where I got to 6 points and couldnā€™t steal an NAPD in archives before he bealeā€™d out. He destroyed my engine so I was too poor to steal it and that was the problem. Levy was fired once - against a spiky Palana where I cycled through my deck twice to win (half the deck was Chronosā€™d away).

In terms of changes I would drop the Hacktivists and I would try a shez to give a bit more econ (I was clicking for creds more than I should) and a 3rd D4v1d which would do work given NEHs ice suite these days is wrap, engine, tollbooth, archangel, assassin and usually an enigma which can be parasited.

2 Likes

What I found in the Haarp MU is that sometimes Imp does nothing because they lock you out of HQ for long enough that they get 2 agendas scored. Iā€™d rather commit 1 deck slot to making the match-up pretty impossible to lose.

i agree that plascrete is the solid choice, but in terms of meta choices it was the right call on the day to drop plascrete as there were just 2 green decks and only 1 yellow kill deck out of 31 (despite that yellow deck managing to seek me out in both swiss and in the cut, but thatā€™s how it goes sometimes).

Any experiences of running Spoilers in Noise?

Little too much of the same thing, not worth the slots. Youā€™d have to cut better cards almost every time.

3 Likes

As a player of IG museum decks, hacktivist would help more than it hurts. I want to discard cards, and letting me do it at instant speed makes HQ more secure. Even against gaga itā€™s probably not worth a slot unless you can keep their museums trashed.

Obviously itā€™s somewhat matchup dependent, but in general, how do people treat mulligans if you donā€™t have wyldside in the opening hand? Obviously if no aesopā€™s either then mulligan (barring something crazy like having all your draw).

But how about aesopā€™s and no draw?

Aesopā€™s and some draw?

I will mull towards Aesops before I ever mull towards Wyldside. You need money more.

Iā€™m pretty cool with both of them,I tend to keep my hand if I see Wyldside or Aesops.Money is important of course,yet Wyldside help you find Aesops faster,Aesops canā€™t help you find Wyldside.

2 Likes

its a fun thing to do but not for tournaments. You do it because youā€™re looking for something different and youā€™re in the mood to troll people all night long.

Wyldside > Aesops > Cache > Parasite > Chrono > Grimoire > Faust/D4

I keep any hand that has one of the first two, and if I had say a cache, a grimoire and a couple of draw cards, id probably keep that too.

3 Likes

Been playing a lot of @TheBigBoy Noise on Jinteki the last week or so with great results and I agree with your ranking. Aesops is vital, but card draw early is often more important to find not only the Aesops but the Caches and Chronotype to really kick it into high gear.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether it is worth cutting something to slot councilman, possibly clot?

What are you thinking of that Councilman does for you in Noise specifically? It seems like it occasionally blocks surprise Cyberdex during a run, but is there some other use Iā€™m missing? That one doesnā€™t seem important enough to justify the include.

My thoughts was that it forces preemptive Jackson use by the corp, and hence keeps them off the table. I am trying to figure this out whether this is worth the loss of deck slots. It will probably take some testing.

It feels fairly marginal to me. And I certainly wouldnā€™t cut Clot! Itā€™s super important for beating NBN.

In terms of what to cut, I have been wondering if dropping a Lamprey is the right call in the current environment: Mumba Temple decks are almost impossible to Lamprey lock unless you do it within the first two turns (i.e. they got a bad start anyway), and theyā€™re everywhere.

The context is that Iā€™ve been trying to find room for Faust #3 in TheBigBoyā€™s Inject list. Itā€™s excellent, but sometimes you trash both your Fausts and make a fairly large scoring window the Corp can take advantage of.