Official Breaker Bay datapack preview / Hayley Kaplan

I think that deck is a good example of why yHayley is very hard to deckbuild for. With 3 resources you wont get to trigger her ability on those pretty much ever, 7 hardware is unlike to give triggers early so you need to rely on playing multiple programs each turn and for that 14 programs are likely too few.

4 Likes

Yeah my thinking wasn’t to trigger the ability ever on resources, maybe rarely on hardware, and only in bursts with programs. the idea was to set up a rig ridiculously fast, maybe even turn 1 or 2. mopus there for long game and for your primary economy. ideally you get brutal early aggression, and then afterwards are never not running for more than 1 turn (Mop’ing).

after thinking about it during work since that post, I am liking the idea of Modded + Game Day more and more in Hayley. Modding a program/hardware and installing another from hand empties 3 cards from hand in 1 click. then refill with Game Day. as I first mentioned, I will definitely be trying playing a Replicator Hayley deck. It may not turn out competitive, but it’s sure to be fun

2 Likes

Corporate Town is another good reason for Eliza’s Toybox in Blue Sun.

1 Like

You’re conflating two different political references. The “Series of tubes” was Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska).

The Gore school… is a reference to a frequent misrepresentation by people that Gore claimed to have “created the internet” when in fact all he did was say he was around when the internet was created.

The card is still an excellent political reference but Gore gets unfairly beaten over the head with his own words, no reason to add an insane Republican’s words to that.

1 Like

Huh.

I wonder if Hayley and Comet will do much to weaken RP’s position as one of the toughest decks in the meta right now (assuming it still wears that crown).

The way RP tends to apply tax is to clicks (especially with ELP), not so much with cards or money. Hayley and Comet (especially together) allow for a pretty massive savings in clicks that might provide quite the edge in that match-up (as well as against HB, with their Bioroids).

I LOLed

Oh, man, I love that movie! That was one of the first things that came to mind when I read her spoiler earlier today. That’s basically her to a tee. Jolly good, sir!

1 Like

Got my picture with him at Gencon this past year. A highlight, for sure.

1 Like

This isn’t really true. I agree in isolation Hayley’s ability isn’t as hot as The Collective, but there is more to it than that - you have to consider the conext of the cards in the environment. Hayley synergises pretty amazingly with Personal Workshop, SMC and Clone Chip (as well as other niche stuff that lets you install outside of a click) - which means she should be regularly getting the bonus installation in her turn and the corp’s. There are now a lot more viable options for increasing hand size, which makes the likelihood of holding the right type of card significantly higher. Throw in cards like Replicator and her new console, and you can get a bananas rig going quite quickly.

I can easily imagine a 7 click runner with Comet. Each of those bonus clicks is pure economy: either directly as a cash event or indirectly as a cheap piece of hardware to sell on to Aesop later or Trade In to find the good stuff. The classic play of “SMC for a Parasite at the end of the Corp’s turn” now doubles up with a Cache from hand, which becomes a $5 card for 0 clicks with Aesop.

If you don’t consider the context of other cards then one could argue that Reina Roja is better than Noise. Noise is only good because of the number of playable viruses that exists, as well as new tech like the shard.

There is serious potential here and, while I agree that The Collective was pretty damn hot, I think that the ceiling for Hayley is higher and she has greater flexibility. Time will tell I guess but I’ll be very surprised if she isn’t on the A-list of next year’s top runners come the tournament season.

1 Like

One of the reasons that Hayley is not even close to the Collective is that her ability only triggers on install. No matter what deck you use you will run out of stuff to install, and then you are left with no ability.

Also, if you look at the described gameplan of getting a “bananas rig going quite quickly” you often then want to transition into multiple runs and then you are probably not trigger her ability that much.

Comet wants lots of events. Hayley wants lots of non-events. Seems like a bombo to me.

9 Likes

I reckon you play one or the other, not both.

I think Personal Workshop is a great fit for program/hardware Hayley. Spend your turn Opus’ing, and host a thing or two on PW. Then pop one on the Corp’s turn, installing something else from hand. Pay another down to 1, then install the free on your turn, and another for free. Ideally, 4 installs for 2 clicks (hosting clicks). Keeping your hand full and probably big is important. Replicator could help with that, but only for the hardware. Game Day yes please. Origami PW Hayley would be stupidly fun, but eats a lot of influence. Replicator + Origami + 1 Trade In + 1 Ekomind + Overmind. tons of cogs, but what a machine it would be once you were set up

is it just me or is this potentially the most fun ID yet?

2 Likes

It’s not just you.

1 Like

For me, that would be Leela. Hayley is the non-interactive, mental-masturbation-while-deckbuilding-not-looking-at-opponent’s-board-while-playing kind of fun. Leela on the other hand demands that both you and your opponent adjust your playstyles because of her, and the triggers create interesting gameplay decisions.

10 Likes

I don’t think Hayley and Comet (wait, Hayley’s Comet?) are necessarily a nonbo. I think you need a lot of draw events to make Hayley’s ability work to its fullest potential and you’ll have the economy events anyway. I don’t think you necessarily need to worry about the ability running out of steam in the late game - if you’ve set up a robust rig with 6 clicks a turn then you won’t see the late game very often. Maybe Comet isn’t the optimal choice for her, but perhaps something like Doppelganger might be?

2 Likes

Worst comes to worst, you can run a levy to recur all the events and spare programs for a second go-around with her.

Since I think there might be surprising teeth with the “run corroder, 2 sahasrara, and 2 chameleons with Dinosaurus and LLDS to allow super-efficient breaking for just one click/turn in cost” saving time on run events and whatnot just seems better than ever, to me. Maybe that’s just me, though.

1 Like

I am thinking Replicator/LLDS/Cybsoft/Dinosaurus/Chameleon. I just want to play Replicator all the time,… lol

makes sense. Leela is super fun. I probably have about 50 games in with her at this point. haven’t stopped playing her since she came out. I’ll just be having all the fun between Hayley and Leela

1 Like

Here’s a masturbatory decklist. 46 but I suppose you could cut the 2nd Levy or something:

Hayley Drugshop

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (16)

Hardware (18)

Resource (7)

Icebreaker (2)

Program (3)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Source

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

QT = Game Day. Personal Touch is for Pipeline, didn’t feel like finding influence for a better Killer and no room for stealth + Dagger

1 Like

Run Game Day instead of Inject, not instead of QT. That’ll both free up influence, and give you more consistency.

Once you do that, you can drop the clone chips, as they become mostly wasted slots at that point. Two copies of Aesop would be strictly superior in there, giving more value to Levy and your ID in the second half of a long game.

After that, you can do all sorts of wonderful and amazing things with the 6 inf you just opened up.

2 Likes

great points. thanks for the feedback. i think this list looks fun and potentially strong, but of course not versus fast advance. (sucks to your assmar NBN)

Remember that NACH trash himself when you score an agenda. If it’s your plan for avoiding tag, it’s not gonna work a lot.