Official Rules Question Thread

What is the reasoning for it not to be blanked?

Rumour Mill doesn’t mention rezzed cards at all. Is it unique? Yes. Is it non-region? Yes. Is it an asset or upgrade? Yes. These are all characteristics which a card has whether active or inactive.

So what reason is there for Rumour Mill not to blank its text box, whether or not the text in the text box is active or inactive? Whether the text is active or not seems to me to be an irrelevance to the question at hand, which is whether or not it gets blanked.

3 Likes

Chum followed by waiver. Runner breaks neither sub. What happens first, the trace from waiver or the 3 net damage from chum?

1 Like

Unfortunately ‘text box’ isn’t called out specifically here. I tend to think that it’s covered under ‘etc’ since that seems intuitive (what is the text box if not printed?) but there’s definitely some debate on this front.

2 Likes

[quote=“FAQ”]
Chum deals its net damage the first time either of the following
occur during an encounter with the next piece of ice:

1. step 3.1 of a run closes and there is an unbroken subroutine on
    the piece of ice.
  2. step 3.1 of a run was skipped or did not resolve because the
    encounter/run ends (if 3.1 does not happen, no subroutines can be
    broken). This applies even if the piece of ice has 0 subroutines.[/quote]

This goes under option 1). 3.1 is where icebreakers interact with ice (and break subs), 3.2 is where subs fire. So Chum would always fire before any subs on the ice.

1 Like

But does that matter?

If it is retained (whether intrinsically, through the Golden Rule, or whatever) then it is blanked by Rumour Mill; If it isn’t retained then it is effectively blank anyway, surely?

2 Likes

I agree with your reasoning and I’m leaning towards the interpretation that Ibrahim can be rezzed without the forfeit with Rumor Mill, the only sticking point is what Damon said at GenCon, as @WhackedMaki states on Reddit:

A card is not active until it is rezzed, and Rumor Mill only effects active cards so you so have to forfeit the agenda. I asked Damon Stone this very thing at Gencon.

It could be that the active text while the cost are paid are somehow faster than a constant ability.

We just don’t have a lot of the reasoning for this ruling. But if it’s how Damon ruled that’s how I’m going to play it until it gets clarified. No reason to start another kerfuffle by going against the lead designer just because I don’t like/understand the ruling.

1 Like

I mean, I’m all for going off of lead designers intention. If Damon wants two cards to work together a certain way, then, IMO, that’s without question how they work together.

However, we don’t have a ruling from Damon, IMO. And I’m not saying that to play difficult in any way, or discredit the Reddit user, but man, you gotta draw the line somewhere. Official document? Obviously good. Anything coming from Damon directly? Equally good IMO. ANCUR? Starting to toe the line a little, but most of what’s put forward on ANCUR is validated by Damon (and he also recently endorsed ANCUR), so I think it’s reasonable to qualify it as a rule source.

But an off-hand ruling delivered via broken telephone method on Reddit? I think we’ve crossed the mark, from my perspective.

Okay, then let me remove the chain. I asked Damon directly and that was the answer he gave me. That is a direct ruling from the man. These are direct quotes from the core rulebook

Inactive: An inactive card’s abilities do not affect the game and cannot be triggered.

The Corporation installs assets in remote servers. An asset is not active until it is rezzed by paying credits equal to its rez cost.

Since it is not rezzed, it is inactive. Since it is inactive it does not effect the game, meaning that Rumor Mill can not interact with it.

1 Like

Additionally, additional rez costs are like trash costs, they may be printed in the text box, but they are not actually part of the box itself. There’s just nowhere else to put them.

Any inactive cards with an “on access” or “Additional Cost” textbox does affect the game (which is the reason for the confusion).

The notion that a card doesn’t have an effect on the game so can’t be blanked as it’s affecting the game seems rather silly, no?

Maybe that’s a good line to draw. Would definitely like some official backing though. Also doesn’t alleviate the confusion with “on access” effects.

I didn’t mean offense when I said that it was broken telephone. But my stance hasn’t changed. This is not a ruling that can be traced to Damon, nor is it derivable directly from any rule sources that have been given merit from the designer. I’m not saying your wrong (I’ll probably follow this locally); but I feel like we need a more formal source.

Right, it’s not the best. But it’s best we got right now. In a week or so, we’ll get some UFAQ’s or FAQ’s released that will clear it up.

But, we’ve had 100+ post threads pretty much anywhere Netrunner is discussed last time we had a personal ruling from Damon at GenCon. I don’t want to repeat that with this ruling. Yes, that ruling was much easier to get to from reading previous ruling and core set rules (outside of what Damon said). But, I don’t think many people are biting at the bit to slot Ibrahim, so it’s not really that urgent. I can wait.

1 Like

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. However, personally, I’m in a pretty small meta with an astronomical jank-player-per-capita. Ibrahim gets slotted frequently (I’ve seen him every casual meet-up for the past month), and the executives aren’t a far-cry either (saw The Board in a deck not too long ago). That’s why I try to keep on top of the interactions, no matter how obscure they would be in a reasonable meta.

Anyway, you’re right, we have what we have ATM. Hopefully we’ll get clarification from the tweet you linked earlier on.

3 Likes

Huh, seems like I wasn’t wrong questioning RM blanking only active cards.

7 Likes

Looking at a card like Special Offer.

It is ICE with the types Trap and Advertisement. It has a rez cost of 1 and a Strength of 3, with one subroutine.

Since it has no Barrier, Code Gate, or Sentry type, does that mean that those kinds of Icebreakers cannot break it?

1 Like

Fracters break barrier ICE, decoders break code gates ICE, killers break sentry ICE. Special Offer has none of the mentioned types; you can’t break it with any of them (would need something like an AI breaker to break it, which can break any ICE type).

Is that the question? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Glad this was clarified. Important to have an official ruling on this stuff.

From this, I’d imagine that unrezzed executives and Toshi would also be blanked.

4 Likes

You are correct.
If an Icebreaker has an ability that tells you to ‘break a sentry subroutine’ then you cannot use it on an ICE that does not have that subtype, ‘sentry’.

In general, Fracters break Barriers, Killers break Sentries, and Decoders break Code Gates. Icebreakers without types you have to read. AI breakers usually just tell you to ‘break a subroutine’, so they don’t have any requirements on the type of ICE they’re breaking.

Currently, I don’t believe there are Icebreakers for the types Trap or Advertisement though that could change.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. Glad it got cleared up. It seems that @jakodrako pointing out that it doesn’t say rezzed, let him rethink any previous rulings he’s made:

Cheers @RTsa, glad we got that clarified. I didn’t agree with the additional cost thing either.

2 Likes

Posted that on R4G, but there @Wiegraf reminded that Corporate Town is not unique, thus unaffected by Rumor Mill. The only current card that is affected by that is Ibrahim Salem.
This, and Oberth Protocol in next cycle for all I know about.