Home | About | Tournament Winning Decklists | Forums

Official Rules Question Thread

Actually I think it’s the opposite. The effect that keeps currents in play is a constant effect. The EStrike is removed by scoring a Chronos Project and because the 3c in this case is not a “when scored” ability (like PE, which does not have a chance to trigger with EStrike up) it doesn’t need to be active at the time of scoring but rather at the time the ability on Hostile Takeover is resolved.

Yes, I believe this is true, as I see that the definition of constant abilities has been updated recently (p. 6 of FAQ 4.1 and p.4 of RR), but it doesn’t seem like it applies to card written long ago. We know that Kit’s ability is still a constant (even if it meets the definition of a triggered ability). The question about Kit is still in the latest FAQ (4.1 from 10/23/2017) even though that FAQ has the new definition of constant abilities:

How does Rielle “Kit” Peddler’s ability interact with bypassing a piece of ice? Is there any way to bypass a piece of ice and make the next piece of ice a code gate?
There is no way to bypass a piece of ice and then make the next piece of ice a code gate. Rielle “Kit” Peddler makes the first piece of ice encountered a code gate, and this is a constant ability. The Runner encounters any ice bypassed, and cannot choose to resolve the bypass ability before Kit’s constant ability, because the constant ability is always active.
(p. 16, emphasis mine)

This ruling spurred the categorization of ordinal abilities as constant in this ANCUR post sometime in 2015: http://ancur.wikia.com/wiki/Abilities_Explanation_Ruling

So, the larger question is how do we treat old cards like Kit and Order of Sol that were released long ago (before that semi-official ruling in 2015), given the new definition? I’ve seen rules expert say in the past that we still play old cards how they used to be ruled. Clearly, old ordinal abilities like Kit’s are still documented be ruled as constant. Or does FFG and/or NISEI need to update and clarify in the FAQ to eliminate old vs. new card design and their rulings?

The primary distinction is Kit just says “the first ice” as a qualifier of which ice the constant ability applies to. Order of Sol on the other hand says “the first time” a thing happens, which defines a trigger.

Best place to look now is actually in the official Rules Reference which has very clearly laid out definitions for all the ability types.

Thanks, that distinction clears this up quite a bit.

Rules questions:

Can you play Media Blitz if the runner hasn’t scored any agendas*?
Can you play Media Blitz if the runner hasn’t scored any agendas with text?
Can you play Media Blitz if the runner hasn’t scored any agendas with text with a functional effect?

Are the answers different if a current is active?

*I’m using “hasn’t scored any agendas” to mean “doesn’t have any agendas in their score area”. I kinda didn’t feel like fixing it after noticing that I probably should, even though this footnote probably took longer to write than fixing it would have.

No.

Can you play Media Blitz if the runner hasn’t scored any agendas with text?

No.

Can you play Media Blitz if the runner hasn’t scored any agendas with text with a functional effect?

Yes, gaining any text is a change to game state.

Are the answers different if a current is active?

No, the game state change is an chain reaction off of having any current, but Media Blitz itself doesn’t have potential to change the game (unless it did).

Is it possible to re-trigger Viral Weaponization with 24/7 News Cycle?
I assume not since it is not explicitly a “when scored” ability. Could anyone confirm this for me?

Correct, that is not allowed.