Official Rules Question Thread

That’s my understanding as well. Example in rule 2 7.2.1. is the closest I could find but not an exact explanation:

Example: The Runner makes a run on R&D using The Maker’s Eye. The second card
that the Runner accesses is Bacterial Programming. They steal it, allowing the Corp to
rearrange, draw, and trash the top 7 cards of R&D (including the first card that the
Runner accessed). Once the Corp has finished this process, the Runner then accesses
their final card, starting with the topmost card of R&D.

The Rules Team (@jakodrako) should probably cover the skip previously accessed part in this section of the rules in the next revision.

1 Like
  1. If the corp has a rezzed Sundew and the runner spends their first click to install a PAD Tap, does that PAD Tap trigger? I think the answer is yes, because in 8.3. Steps of Installing a Card it says

8.3.6. If the card is to be the first card in or protecting a new remote server, that server is
created. Move the card to the chosen install location. It becomes installed. If the card is
faceup, it becomes active.
8.3.7. Abilities with “When installed…” trigger conditions become pending, including those on
the installed card.

but I’m not sure because Sundew’s trigger condition isn’t a “When installed…” trigger condition. Do all relevant trigger conditions also happen at 8.3.7 (Dadiana Chacon is another example) and 8.3.7 should be reworded, or are “When installed…” abilities actually different and special?

1. meta-question: is this still the best place to ask rules questions? Or would I be better off asking them elsewhere?

edit: got an answer on twitter https://twitter.com/Crunchumz/status/1083561850476920832

1 Like
  1. I think you’re correct, but I would like an explanation as well.
  2. I think this is still a great place to ask the community. Although you might get fast (if not less knowledge response by creating a Reddit or Dorks post). Now that Jacob is the rules czar, sending a question to https://twitter.com/NISEI_Rules would get you an official response (and it’s much quicker than when ANCUR had to coordinate with FFG).
1 Like

Does Gebrselassie interact with boosting icebreaker strength outside of an encounter?

Let’s say Nasir Meidan is running against a server with two unrezzed ICE, namely Eli 1.0 on the outside and IP Block on the inside. Nasir has Corroder installed with Gebrselassie hosted on it. At step 2.c of the run (NISEI rules doc), which is the paid ability window before the ICE-rezzing window, Nasir pays 2 credits to boost Corroder to strength 4. Assuming the corp rezzes both ICE, what strength is Corroder during each encounter?

• It could be its base strength 2, because the first example under 3.9.5.b says that a boost applied not during an encounter “applies only until the next checkpoint”. The next checkpoint after step 2.c is step 3.b, before the paid ability window during which subroutines can be broken. Gebrselassie doesn’t explicitly replace returns-to-base-strength during encounters, so it may be the case that it doesn’t replace this one - so Corroder starts the encounter with Eli 1.0 at strength 4, but is returned to strength 2 before the paid ability window for breaking subroutines.
  • It could be strength 4, if Gebrselassie has replaced the return-to-base-strength that would have happened at the 2.c checkpoint with a return-to-base-strength at end of turn. The example under 3.9.5.c in the rules doc suggests, but does not explicitly state, this.

Gebrselassie keeps icebreaker strength outside of an encounter until the end of turn. It looks for “until end of the encounter” (including the implicit ones since that’s the default duration) and replaces them with “until the end of the turn”.

1 Like

What does the “using only this program” on Bukhgalter really mean? Obviously I need to use Bukhgalter to break the subroutines. Is that all? I remember from the Cold Read/Cloak rulings that using recurring credits counts as using programs. So if I use Cloak here, do I still get the 2 credits? If I use sucker counters, do I still get the the 2 credits?
If using Cloak prevents me from getting 2 credits, does using Cyberfeeder also prevents this? It’s also a recurring credit, but it’s not on a program.

That’s my understanding, yeah. So you can’t say, Grappling Hook some subs and only use Bukhgalter for the remaining one(s) if you want the effect to fire.

1 Like

This is covered in the Release Notes:

Does the Runner still gain credits from Bukhgalter if another card is used during the encounter where all subroutines are broken by Bukhgalter (i…e Datasucker to reduce strength)?

Yes, what matters is that all subroutines were broken using Bukhgalter.

3 Likes

One more question.
If Turntable is on the table and a Divested Trust was scored, when an agenda is stolen and turned, which agenda is returned to the Corp’s hand? The agenda stolen that is now in the Corp agenda area, or the agenda that was turned and is now in the Runner’s?

If you steal an Agenda and a Turntable it for an Agenda that is not Divested Trust, then the corp can forfeit Divested Trust to return the Agenda you stole (which is now in their score area) back to their hand.

If you Turntable for Divested Trust, then it won’t trigger.

If you steal on the Corp’s turn for some reason, then Divested Trust will trigger first. If they choose to use it, then you can no longer swap with Turntable.

1 Like
  • Do Crisium Grid prevents all ability on Jailbreak? Eg . Jailbreak on HQ, then there rezzed a Crisium Grid. It’s pretty clear the runner wont draw 1 card, but do they access 1 more cards or not? Abstractly, “(if … ) and (when …)”, or “if … (… and (when …))” ?

• Sneakdoor Beta wrote : “If that run would be declared successful …”. Does this trigger work the same way as “If successful…” and happens in 5.a according to CR1.5? If not, what’s the difference?

Crisium stops both effects. The “if” condition applies to both connected by the “and” as you point out. It just that they take effect at different steps, so it’s a little bit harder to parse.

I’m not sure what you’re asking for your second point. Crisium and Sneakdoor were both re-written to be more clear about how they interact with each other and other abilities. See this article to get more details: Comprehensive Rules Update: Version 1.3 - Null Signal Games

It’s more like “what’s the impact of the definition change of successful run in CR 1.5?” For instance, Crisium Grid in archive prevents 5.a at all so Seankdoor Beta won’t trigger.
It simply works the same way with CR 1.3.
But what is the case for Ash 2X3ZB9CY and Hyoubu Precog Manifold?
Assuming Sneakdoor Beta is simply “if successful”. When the run comes to 5.a, a priority window opens, then we check the cards that can trgger, then runner triggers Sneakdoor Beta, then corp triggers Ash 2X3ZB9CY installed in archive.
Or Sneakdoor Beta is referring something just before 5.a. In which case Ash 2X3ZB9CY, whose ability triggers on 5.a, should be in HQ to make any effect.