Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

Are there any mentors in the UK willing to take on a mentee at the moment? I had some great sessions with my original mentor, but he can’t currently commit. I’m just generally looking to develop my game sense at the moment, with good net decks.

I’m in Chile, which is only off by three hours, what sort of times/days are you looking for?

hi hhooo! late evening is best for me after chores are done - 9 pm to 11 pm or so - i.e. 6 to 8 pm your time.

hhooo - you’re off the hook - I really appreciate your offer though!

I assume the programme is still somewhat active, I haven’t checked in with other people but I still reach out to my mentees regularly. Also check your PM inbox

I’m actively mentoring still, but it’s more like a scheduled testing session since we’re close in skill level.

i still tutor once a week with my mentee. currently working on a palana.

we play pretty actively beyond that, just casual games and !jank stuff.

were you at Games of Berkeley on Monday? I think we met briefly.

I’d be happy to mentor someone in the area. Mondays at GoB & Wednesdays at Eudo are a good start if you want to do in-person work.

Role: Mentee
Time zone: US Eastern (GMT-5/-4)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
I’m pretty new to the game, only been playing about a month or two. Have mostly been playing NEH FA and also that dumb Whizzard/Wyldside/Faust/Cutlery deck everyone loves to hate. I’m looking to expand my grasp of fundamentals, branch out into Shaper (probably either Hayley or Kate), and it’d be nice to try something new on the corp side too. (Maybe Jinteki PE, because I am awful at that matchup, never feel like I know what to do when running against them.)

Thanks in advance!

hello fine people of stimhack!

I’d love some advice on improving my play, but I have a question before signing up.
My living situation makes it really difficult to do anything over skype, and even setting up a common time for the mentoring would be fairly tricky.

So would anyone be willing to mentor in a non-live environment?

Say by commenting on a recorded game posted to youtube, via the comments section or email or whatever. If anyone is up for that, please let me know!

Sure thing, send some videos my way

Time zone: Central European (GMT+1)
Able to use Voice Chat?: No (non-live environment only please)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
I started playing around the time O&C came out. I think I’m an OK casual player but I want to be able to compete well enough to win a GNK or maybe a store champ. I like making my own decks but I also realise that is not probably the route to victory for me, so I’m fine with piloting whatever is meta at the moment (except maybe crazy CI combo stuff).
Any and all improvement tips are welcome!

thanks RJay, I’ll message you

New member here, really keen to get better at Netrunner!

Time zone: GMT
Area where you think you need to improve: I want to be a better player, be able to recognise when to run, scoring windows, etc.

I have been playing since the start of the year, we have a small group in my town that play on a Tuesday and I have a friend who started at the same time as me that I play a lot. I get some games in on Jinteki, but often get destroyed on there.

On the runner side, I have mostly played Stealth Kit, which I do fairly well with - I came second in a small tournament my FLGS put on and won 3/4 games at a Store Champs with her. More recently I have been playing Pitchfork Hayley, it’s a lot of fun but often a loss, which I put down to relying too much on Kit’s ability for safer face checks.

On corp, I have played a mix of NBN and Blue Sun (both vegan glacier and kill), I’m not as strong with the corp. I was doing OK with glacier BS, but I struggle to land a kill (and I don’t really like playing kill decks). I really like SYNC, but struggle to balance against a mix of people who avoid tags and those who just go tag-me.

I’m happy to mix things up with decks, recently I read some of TheBigBoy’s blog posts and have removed all silver bullets from my Kit deck in order to learn how to play against some of the trickier archetypes.

Time zone: Central European (GMT+1)

Able to use Voice Chat?: yes, although potentially infrequently and I would be happy to record some games to analyse after the event.

Brief summary - half-decent competitive player, able to reach top-4 in store champs but have hit a bit of a plateau.

Currently doing the ‘stick to two decks and learn them inside out’ thing, so advice on Noise and Pālāna glacier would be appreciated.

That being said, I’m aware that piloting the top tier decks for a few games is also useful to get a feel for how they run, so I’m open to that too.

This is my first post on stimhack, so hopefully I’m doing it right. Also, thanks to all the people taking their time to help others get better.

Time zone: -5 GMT

Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes (can do skype or google hangouts)

I’ve only been playing for about four months. I play a lot on jinteki but feel that it’s not really helping me get better. Played in one store championship and got 5th, but felt out of my depth most of the time. Looking to improve on reading the board state for optimal plays (pretty vague, but seems like where I’m lacking). Not looking to improve any particular build (I have come to love all factions and corps). Current’y trying to run Anarch and NEH to prep for regionals. Schedule has some free time on weekday evenings and some afternoons.

Role: Mentee/Mentor for new players

Time zone: Easter Standard (GMT -5)

Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes, Skype, Google, Facebook, etc.

Brief summary - bought the core set when it was released, but only started playing competitively and on Jinteki 6 months ago, and have gotten a fair bit better (making the cut at a couple tournaments). I still lose consistently to good players/decks online and in tournaments. I’m still learning different archetypes (typically try out something new every week or two). I’m also doing some regionals and the NA championship this year at GenCon.

I’m proficient enough with Stealth Kate, but haven’t had much luck winning consistently with any other runners. I’m particulary obsessed with learning to pilot Apocalypse Maxx, which I’m obsessed with… and also bad at. Corp wise I feel comfortable messing around with almost anything. I’m OK with NEH asset spam, HB FA, and I’ve gotten decent at Weyland rush decks recently.

I’d be more than happy to show newer players some basic stuff on Jinteki, and would be eternally grateful for some higher level coaching as I take my first steps into the deep end.

Thanks!
SubPar_

Time zone: EST/GMT-4
Area where you think you need to improve: General learning

Some good ways to screenshare, pick between them with your mentor/mentee:
Google Hangouts
All of the above work fine.

It appears that I now have a ton of free time and can Mentor again. EST people, PM me with your availability. I’m confident that I can do well at a Regionals, considering a past Top 8, though this year has been a bit more challenging.

2 Likes

I’ll have time again in a couple weeks and I’m out of mentees (since I am kind of out of touch with my previous ones). Basically, I think I gave some good advice to them, so I can get back in the game with some new ones! :smiley: