Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

Howdy folks,

The idea recently came up through some discussion that people would be interested in starting a Netrunner Mentor program. The general idea behind the program is that we would pair up experienced players with players that are looking to improve and they would play a few sessions “over the shoulder” using screenshare on OCTGN or Jinteki.net. The program can range from beginners trying to learn basic strategy, lower intermediate players that want to improve, or people who want to improve in a specific deck (PPVP Kate, Noise, CI shutdown). On the mentor side, we have no official qualifications, if you feel comfortable mentoring someone, feel free to sign up as a mentor.

It’ll be up to you and your partner to decide how you want to organize your sessions, but I’m thinking 3 sessions of at least 1 game on each side would be a good starting point. If you really like your partner and want to do more, great! After about 1 week of this post being up, we’ll PM pairings to a partnership, probably also post a master list here, letting y’all know you’re partners. From then, you can talk with them to get some times nailed down.

To sign up, make a post with the following info
Role: Are you wanting to be a mentor or a mentee?
Time zone: we want to get people that area awake at the same time paired w/ each other
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes/No
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: This area depends on if you want to be a mentor or mentee. Are you trying really hard to get good w/ Noise? We’ll try and get you paired up with a great Noise player, etc.

Some good ways to screenshare, pick between them with your mentor/mentee:
Google Hangouts

Thanks to all who participate, if you have any questions, please ask here or PM me!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J7RH7QV_Khto0DPiGEs27vBA_RtFgHW6V67VjRYr0y4/

21 Likes

Signing up as Mentor as promised:
Role: Mentor
Time Zone: GMT+1 - Available most evenings and weekends in my timezone
Able to use Voice Chat: Yes
Area of expertise: Can teach basic to intermediate strategy, most experienced with Fastrobiotics, HBFA, RP, PPVP Kate and Reg-Ass Anarch. Least experienced with any kind of kill deck (Jinteki or Haarpsicord) and Criminal in general.

2 Likes

Role: Student
Time zone: UTC +2, I’m more flexible on the weekends (so can pair up with people in other timezones)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Trying to get better all around, focusing on NEH FA/HB on corp side and Val/Maxx/Kate on the runner side.

Thanks @Asclepius! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time Zone: GMT -6
Able to Use Voice Chat: Yes
Area of experience: Most experienced with HB, I feel like I could mentor on Foodcoats well enough at this point. I can definitely help people learn how to play Haarp Kill as well. On runner side I specialize in criminal, not much else.

2 Likes

Timezone : CET (GMT + 1)
Able to use Voicechat : Yes
Area of Expertise: It seems that i’m pretty good with Kate and NEH.

4 Likes

Timezone: GMT
Able to use Voicechat: Yes
Area of Expertise: Criminals, and minorly in all kinds of high-tempo corps (Astrobiotics, Rush Weyland, Titan FA, Team Turtles).

3 Likes

in b4 100 mentors 5 students XD (just kidding <3)

Time zone: Eastern USA (EST)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes (required of partner)
Area where you think you have some particular expertise: Strong at HB (any type) and Kate (most builds). Can do RP (reasonably enough), Glacier builds in general, Noise, MaxX (reasonably enough), Shaper builds in general. I also play a lot of off-meta and homebrew stuff.
Platform: Octgn preferred. Can do Jinteki too though.

2 Likes

Time zone: GMT-6
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I can assist with anything.

4 Likes

Time zone: Eastern (Indiana)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
Noise, Anarch (particularly siphon/denial, but also L4J/Goodstuff), NBN kill, HB Glacier, and I can play pretty much any other IDs…

3 Likes

Role: Mentee
Time Zone: Eastern (US)
Able to use Voice Chat: Yes
Areas where you think you need to improve:

Several:

As a Runner, I really don’t know how to deal with Butcher Shop, regardless of the Runner I play. I get killed all the time. I never seem to have enough money to fight a trace, I don’t know how to avoid getting blown up by players who are good at blowing people up.

As a Corp, I’d love to learn how to play PE or any Jinteki shell game better. This is my holy grail of Netrunner – to figure out how to pilot these kinds of decks effectively.

Note: I use a Mac, so Jinteki is far preferred. I could do OCTGN in a pinch, but I literally don’t know how to use that arcane mess and don’t really want to now that Jinteki is good.

2 Likes

I figure a lot of us that are frequently up here will end up as mentors but we’re advertising to Reddit and Facebook too, so hopefully that’ll bring in newer players and strengthen our relationship as a site.

5 Likes

Time zone: GMT
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: just started, brought a collection off a Facebook group, but don’t really know how to play

4 Likes

Able to Voice Chat: Almost never.

Expertise: RP, HBFA, Shaper (lot of Stealth Kit), Sunny (oddly). Competent but not expert at Reg-Ass MaxX.

Best times: Early in the morning US Mountain Standard (GMT - 7), with sporadic late-night availability.

Platform: http://jinteki.net

2 Likes

Role: Mentee
Time zone: CET (but, I can play with people from US in their 3pm-7pm range)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
General advice in order to advance to higher level, currently focusing on NBN Turtlebacks / Gas Pedal decks and trying to work with Gabe.

1 Like

I’m not the best but I like teaching and helping others and feel like this could also help me

Time zone: GMT +2
Able to use Voice Chat?: No. (I can rarely do that)
Area of expertise: I’ve played plenty of glacier (e.g. Foodcoats) and a lot of various Butchershop builds, Reg-Ass Anarchs, especially Valencia, Shaper. Would probably be of help to beginner to intermediate level players.

2 Likes

If you want to make 2 posts, one as mentee and mentor, I don’t see a problem with that.

2 Likes

No, as in, explaining and thinking about the best lines of play would also be beneficial to me, since I would think harder than I usually do.

1 Like

Gotcha, awesome! That is true, they say you know if you truly understand something if you can teach it.

2 Likes

Time zone: GMT+1
Area where you think you need to improve: I’m an intermediate player from Italy (my best result so far is finishing 9th at the Nordic National) and I’m willing to make the next step. In the last months I mostly played PPVP Kate, RP and NEH Fastro, but I think I have to improve particularly as Runner.

1 Like

This is a great idea. Two-headed Netrunner is a great way to improve as a player.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop due to my local scene switching to magic but I’d love to get back into playing more.

Time zone: (US EST GMT -05:00)
Good times for me are evenings after 7:00pm as well as Wednesday afternoons.

Areas where I excel:

Advanced Level teaching: Regular Valencia/Whizzard, Anarch Denial, NEH Fastrobiotic, Kill Decks, NEH Sponsorship, Rush deck philosophy.

Basic-Intermediate: I can teach pretty much anything at this level.

2 Likes