Reina experiences?

So, Reina’s been out for a bit, and I’ve been doing quite well with her, running the Caissa deck that everyone probably knows about and knows how to build. My findings are mostly pretty straightforward, but there were a few unexpected bits-- Deep Red seems generally inferior to Spinal Modem, which definitely surprised me, and Bishop is substantially better than expected.

Overall the style of pressure that Reina (and Caissa) provide is new and interesting and she seems like a solid addition to the different deck archetypes available to Runners. How have you all been finding her?

1 Like

I actually haven’t had any time to try her out over the holidays here. What’s your Spinal Modem decklist look like?

Here’s mine.

Same Old Thing is a flex slot. Also not sure whether the Daily Casts should be Armitage or not.

The core looks really strong though. I haven’t lost once with this yet in around 20 games, but all of these have been on Octgn since the card isn’t out in Australia yet.

Reina seems to be stronger against NBN rush decks than Andromeda, which is a nice surprise.

Identity: Anarchs: Reina Roja

Cards: 45 / 45
Influence: 15 / 15

Event (17)
3x Account Siphon ●●●●●●●●●●●●
3x Deja Vu
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Quality Time ●●●
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (2)
2x Spinal Modem
2x Plascrete Carapace

Program (21)
2x Bishop
3x Corroder
3x Knight
3x Medium
3x Mimic
2x Pawn
3x Rook
2x Yog.0

Resource (5)
3x Daily Casts
2x Same Old Thing

2 Likes

My version is largely identical, though I run Armitage Codebusting instead of Daily Casts and dropped Pawn for a third Bishop after switching from Deep Red to Spinal Modem.

I also have a somewhat more balanced version of the above that runs Ice Carver and Xanadu alongside two Siphons (using the extra influence to upgrade Quality Time to Diesel and pick up an Akamatsu Mem Chip), but the jury’s still out on which of those is more effective. The resources really help, but they make it harder to float tags effectively.

I stuck with deep red and run an opus based economy so that I can drop a few siphons for vamps. I still run a single siphon, but I like the build a bit more because I have more influence to spend on other things. I think really the only thing deep red has over spinal modem is the +2 effective memory.

Knocking a Corp down to 0 is devastating with Reina’s ability and Xanadu… add rook for extra pain and enjoyment.

I second Xanadu. Tested Ice Carver and found it to only be helpful in a few edge cases, like knighting through a Janus or helping fixed breakers face check stuff. Otherwise, you are pretty much better off just doing what you gotta do.

But that just my experience. Hope the next pack shakes it up a bit more.

Interesting, can I see a decklist? That sounds like a cool take on the deck.

I haven’t tried Spinal Modem yet. My Reina build looks like this: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/1254/spanish-inquisition-v3

Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter (Mala Tempora)

Event (7)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••• ••••• ••
1x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
3x Deep Red (Mala Tempora)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
3x Xanadu (Humanity’s Shadow)

Icebreaker (9)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Knight (Mala Tempora)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (15)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) •••
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
2x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
3x Rook (Opening Moves)

I feel it works really well. I like the ability to knight something instantly with Deep Red. I know people say Datasuckers don’t work in this kind of build, but I intend to play lots of games with this deck to find the best playstyle for it. I don’t like where no sucker version can be locked out without an answer by some corp cards.

1 Like

Well as you have to run Opus it doesn’t look like you have much influence saved. Especially since if you’re running Deep Red, it’s too tempting not to run Clone Chip or SMC.

How are you going to consistently find your Opus?

You also wouldn’t have MU to spend on Medium/Nerve and no influence to spend on Maker/Indexing/Interface.

Relying on single accesses means there’s a chance you give them enough time to recover from your Vamp.

Even before Howard, I always thought of Anarc as the neutral cards that cost influence rather than an actual runner faction. I’d like to think that Reina has somewhat changed that perspective a bit. My Reina deck is probably a joke compared to everyone else’s but i do really love the new cassia stuff (especially knight and rook) It seems to be working out so far against lower level opponents but I’m not sure i would take it to my FLGS’s tournament. That being said, Reina has defiantly changed my perspective that there are more than 2 serious runner factions.

Running singleton Account Siphon frees up eight influence. Spend 4 for two opus and you are back down to 4. Its a big enough savings to be worthwhile.

Initially I also thought that SMC or Clone Chip were musts in a Deep Red build. After about a dozen games with either, I cut them. They don’t do enough in a deck that already has six ways to recur lost programs (I run two deja vu, two pawn and two retrieval run).

I consistently find my Opus in the first few turns. I run x3 Quality Time. Most players do not like the overdraw, which this deck can struggle to cope with. I like it when I run Opus because 3 creds do not hurt so badly and when used with Retrieval Run it provides a cheap way to either get Opus into play or a Femme into play. In a way, it works almost like an Anarch Test Run/Scavenge combo.

You do have the MU to run Medium, something that my deck runs two copies of. My current build does not run code gate breakers and relies on Knight to get through Code Gates, with Dyson Mem Chips to turn on Underworld Contacts and allow enough MU to run Medium (alternatively, splash Akamatsu for 1 influence each).

Not enough for Nerve, but I do not think you want both in this deck. Running both increases the odds they will purge. Having only medium hurts their work compression with each virus purge.

It also is pretty much a matter of timing. You usually want to Vamp them to keep them down to ping a remote with impunity. It will take the corp between 2-3 turns to be able to set up anything that will hurt you enough to matter when they are down to 0, and even those who are designed to bounce back from a Syphon will give you one turn to remove tags and cred up for a big run if they try to push something through.

When they are not installing stuff into remotes, you cred up or build your rig or run R&D. And when the time is right, hit them with another credit drain so you can pound down on a remote.

I will post a decklist later today when I have a chance. Its not as bad as people make it out to be, especially since many people already run Armitage with Reina.

In playing a few games, I think:

• Reina is pretty strong. Not Andromeda strong, but at least as good as any other runner, if not better.

• I’d rather have Pro Contacts than Opus. Memory is tight. If memory isnt tight, add some more good anarch programs.

• I dont know that heavy Caissa is worth it. Rooks seem strong though, and Knight can be reasoanble. I’d play Grimoire for Console, or splash Desperado. You’re Anarch. You have the good viruses and you need memory.

• Xanadu is good.

• Its annoying to play against, and as corp I was very frustrated when I couldnt draw Melange.

2 Likes

Here is my Opus Reina deck. Sorry it is late. Had a long day.

The Joker and the Thief

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder
Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter (Mala Tempora)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (17)
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Stimhack (Core #4) x1
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Deja Vu (Core #2) x2
Vamp (Trace Amount #21) x2
Retrieval Run (Future Proof #101) x2
Account Siphon (Core #18) x1 ■■■■
Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow #87) x3 ■

Hardware (6)
Deep Red (Mala Tempora #42) x2
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core #38) x2 ■
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2

Program (20)
Bishop (Second Thoughts #21) x3
Corroder (Core #7) x2
Knight (Mala Tempora #43) x3
Medium (Core #10) x2
Pawn (Opening Moves #2) x2
Rook (Opening Moves #3) x3
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x2 ■
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x2 ■■

Resource (2)
Xanadu (Humanity’s Shadow #82) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 50
Criminal: 6
Shaper: 9

Basically you throw out a vamp or an account siphon to throw the corp off balance to punch a remote or a central with impunity. Typically, you will spend at least 1 click gaining cash or drawing…

Its rough, but I have had fun with it. I especially have had fun bucking a few meta powerhouses (datasuckers, parasites) but I had to at least keep a few (Siphon and Femme). Not sold entirely on my Retrieval Runs, my Femmes, my mem chips and my plascretes.

Here are my thoughts, and thanks for the feedback Alex!

1. I agree. I think with a few new cards Reina will be a serious top tier runner, regardless of if you go Caissa or not.

2. I have been running her as a somewhat tag me style runner, although I may end up cutting four influence for a second account syphon so that I can be more true to that archetype. As is, I usually have no need for my plascretes… or I guess less need for plascretes aside from using them as a meta precaution (I usually only have 1 or 2 tags on me at a time). I like Opus in this deck, specifically because of Vamp. Vamp and Opus allow you to run tag me and dictate your economy. I know Opus is not the meta powerhouse that Pro Contacts is… but I like it so far. I could try to sub it in next time though…

Opus allows me extreme flexibility with Vamp and ensures I have a late game if I cannot land a siphon or vamp lock. Also, Rook + Reina or Reina + Xanadu is enough to ensure that the Corp will not always be rezing much for at least a turn. Only anarch program I might sub in is Imp as spending 5 to trash San Sans really bite. Rush decks right now trash this deck so I might need to find the space. Parasite doesn’t suit this deck as much. Medium is great, and only having one virus program (right now) makes virus purges a bit less painful for me and more of a waste for the Corp.

3…I go back and forth. Rook and Knight are fantastic, and for its cost Bishop is alright but maybe the weakest of the bunch. I like it more than Datasuckers for this deck as I typically will not run more than two times a turn, at most. Also because of the fact I run less, Desperado is a little less appealing. Heck, Spinal Modem is probably a slightly better include. The main reason I stuck with Deep Red was primarily for the +3 Caissa Memory and because I am Virus light.

4+5 Xanadu is good. Especially good with Reina. I think part of this combo really is kicked up a notch by Vamp and/or Siphon. If you can keep the corp down a few pegs, they cannot res ice. If they can res anything, it will cost them more than they are used to… or more than they bargained for.

I haven’t had the best experiences with Reina, although she’s definitely a fast and loose, aggressive playstyle - but I freely acknowledge any negative experience is because I’m a crappy deckbuilder, and haven’t had enough games with her to tweak the deck. Unfortunately I disassembled it because we’re having a tournament at my FLGS tonight, and I wanted to go with something I knew I’d actually have a shot with, namely the Andromeda deck I was running before this.

I still feel like Deep Red is not worth it without importing Shaper mid-run install tricks, but I do like the Caissa in general - Knight is much better than I expected it to be and Rook is sort of like a movable 2-point Datasucker. Bishop is kind of insult to injury but it can be good if you’ve somehow let the corp stack up ice they haven’t rezzed any of yet, but it’s marginal in my few games so far. Pawn loses a lot of its utility if you’re not running Deep Red, but it’s still decent retrieval.

In my deck I was running both Ice Carver and Xanadu, mostly to allow me to handle Janus with a Knight - we have a lot of big money decks in our local meta that can still get Janus money even with pressure from Reina - and for influence I think I was at 2x R&DI (4), 3x Pro Contacts (6), 1x Siphon (4), 1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (1). Grimoire as console, Datasuckers, Corroders/Yogs/Mimics. Had Parasites in at one point but found my opponents willing enough to destroy ice to get rid of Caissa that I didn’t keep them in; I go back and forth on this one, but at present they’ve been replaced with Surges to keep me from getting shut out of servers after a purge that I need to Datasuck - install Datasucker (with Grimoire), Surge to three.

Well, the early Reina list that I came up wit manages to share only about 15 cards in common with your list.

The two main options I see are to go heavily in on the Account Siphon plan, and then not depend on resources, or to spend influence on something else, and use resources.

Given Reina’s ability, and the fact that we are probably going to want to add to it with things like Rook and Xanadu, derez effects are highly valuable. Given that denial plan, the best way to win will be to derez or destroy the ice of a corp on a certain server, and then hammer them while they cannot afford to defend it. Dealing with the corp’s remote server can hopefully be handled by moving a Rook over there and running it, and then finding a way through whatever ice they do manage to afford.

Finally, given that our gameplan is about denying the corp the ability to afford ice, its critical for us to kill money assets effectively. Imp is probably the best way to do this, but I wouldnt completely rule out Paricia in metas where lots of drip economy cards are being played and also the corps use Power shutdown (losing the Paricia protects your more important things).

Resource economy based Reina:
45 cards

2 Professional Contacts #### (Alternately, Wyldside with more Pawnshops?)
1 Aesop’s Pawnshop ##
2 Kati Jones
3 Daily Casts
2 Xanadu

3 Sure Gamble
3 Emergency Shutdown ######
3 Parasite
2 Datasucker
3 Imp
3 Medium
1 Nerve Agent
2 Crescentus ##

3 Rook
1 Knight
1 Femme Fatale #
1 Mimic
2 Corroder
2 Yog
1 Crypsis

2 Grimoire
2 Dyson Mem Chip

I’d consider Sahasrara, Workshop, Scheherazade (but then you need some 0 cost programs to protect it).
Maybe its good to have more Knights and less other breakers? If they rez something important, you knight and Crescentus it? I’d consider Vamp, as a way to begin a crushing medium dig lock. This deck should probably find a way to fit in Plascretes.

And of course, an Account Siphon version needs to be tried as well. Probably with things like DLR, Joshua B, Same Old Thing, etc.

(I had to use # to mean influence, since this stupid forum does dumb things when you have *s)

Reina’s power isn’t the tax on rezzing ice - it’s enabling an Anarch early game attack vector.

Based on my above list, there are a bunch of things I can do in the first couple of turns.

Don’t ice HQ? Siphon you.

Don’t ice RnD? Medium dig.

Single ice a remote and drop agenda? Knight gets me in.

Double ice remote? Rook can probably get me in.

Even if they play around all of the above and manage to score an Astroscript, they are now broke. And now you drop Medium and threaten RnD that way.

All of the above in combination basically means you have a vicious early game attack, and by the time they recover from it, you will have almost your whole rig out, making it very hard for them to score via remotes.

Compare this to before, when you could only really Medium a couple of times, or Nerve, or trash a couple of cards with Imp to punish the corp in this position early on. All of the above had to be done opportunistically.

With Reina, the windows that you have to punish the corp are much larger. As such, you can continue to switch targets and leverage your early aggro into an actual advantage.

Having said this, I do agree that asset based economy is difficult to play against with my list. As is having to trash SanSans.

However, I don’t believe adding in MO or Pro Contacts is good in Reina simply because it blunts your early game. Similarly, running a ton of derez effects doesn’t really progress your game plan - it just delays the corp. I would rather rig up, get Spinal Modem out and basically run for free.

As for DLR and JoshB, I think they require too many deckslots, and usually a single Medium offers the same threat level and is relevant later into the game.

2 Likes

One thing ive noticed is a lack of carapaces if a few decks,

i find it hard to not make a deck with at least 2

At least in my current meta, very few people are playing SE’s I’m sure this is a rarity but I’m playing with a lot of people who are newish to the game. For me and mine, Public Sympathy is far more effective as it gives you a bonus against all corps, not just those running damage.

I actually thought a bit about it and I don’t see why DLR and Josh B would not be a welcome addition to a deck like the one included above. I think they could be outstanding in a memory tight, cred denial build. Especially if you cut Medium.

I am pondering taking out my Opus after a bit of further testing. Only thing is, I do rather like a mostly guaranteed late game economy in tag-me. Its especially handy in my meta as something like 70% of corps splash closed accounts to hinder tag-me play.

Also curious about running Wyldside. Seems a tough fit in a Caissa build because you will often want at least a click a turn to move your programs.

I have tried wyldside, in a cassa deck, currently the loss of click is to much,

but when they release the crim program that lets you install mid run! i think it(wyldside) will be great with in conjunction with deep red and that new crim program

I’ve tried running a Noise-style Wyldside/Aesop’s Pawnshop economy in Reina, but IMO it has serious antisynergy with Caissa programs. Savoir-Faire (the Criminal program that lets you install while running) would definitely help with this, as does Deep Red.